Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Recommended ammo new model 41

3K views 19 replies 18 participants last post by  RKCarl 
#1 ·
What ammo you guys suggest for a new Model 41 Smith? Thanks

#10 ·
My go to ammo for my 41 is CCI standard velocity, there are more accurate (and expensive) ammo but I shoot off hand and the gain in accuracy is not enough to get me more points on a target. Some 41's are fussy about ammo but mine seems to shoot them all well. Good luck with yours.

#11 ·
Only shoot the minimum power ammo the gun reliably operates on. More powerful ammo turns the more powerful energy into excessive recoil energy which the frame then has to absorb. It is obvious that the excess recoil energy beats up the gun. For a long life with this superb target pistol, limit it to Standard Velocity ammo.

My Model 41 loves CCI Std Vel. That is about 1080 FPS as listed on the box.

LDBennett

#12 ·
I don't know any shooters who use HV ammunition in their M41's, infact the Gray beards recommend against HV ammunition.

I have been using CCI SV and it shoots within my hold. At the last match, the All Guard shooter next to me, with a President's 100 patch, was using Red Box Eley Tennex. About $20.00 a box of 50. I don't know that expensive of ammunition for my skill level.

#14 ·
I recently picked up a used 41 made between 1960-1969 and tried CCI standard first and it wouldn't cycle all the way and eject the casing. Switched to Aguila SV and it ran flawlessly through 50 rounds. Going to stick with Aguila for now since I have 3 bricks of it and can pick it up for around $20 locally.

#17 ·
My new Model 41 that was purchased last week on Friday 10-11-2019 headed back to factory. That chamber is so tight that it struggles to extract any ammo. At least two or three per magazine I have to physically extract with a screw driver.

See what happens. Hopefully it will shoot any ammo after I get it back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.