Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

10/22 Thompson kit

28K views 61 replies 20 participants last post by  M2HB 
#1 ·
Has anyone had experience with the Thompson sub gun conversion kit made for the 10/22 rifles? The kits are made by the company 1022fungun and run about $300 or a bit more for either a vertical front grip (gangster look) version or a horizontal front grip (military look). They use any Ruger 1022 type magazine including some of the drum mags on the market. They look like a bunch of fun but I don't want to spend $300 on something that doesn't work as advertised! Your input appreciated!

#7 · (Edited)
A few months back I assembled/tuned this one.. :bthumb::bthumb:

GM Finned Barrel, older (1972) Rec. with polished OEM worked/bolt.. KID Tr. Kit.. once I got it tuned it runs like a top.

The GSG Drum rode high.. had to carefully take a few strokes (file then stoned) off the top of the rails/lips till it would cycle... Also broke/smoothed the front edges.. thus ramped it a tad.
It later/post photo's got a Reflex sight (Mueller Quick Shot).. it's very accurate with the Reflex out to 50 yds. - MOA plus accurate.

#15 ·
When I did the one I show in Post #7 I apparently bought one of the last Stainless ones EA Brown had - they were out of Blued ... glad now that I bought the Stainless.. give them a call and ask for a ETA... when I called GM last Fall they had no plans to Mfg. more.. disconcerting for sure... IF.. IF EA Brown has a order pending they may be forcing GM's hand.

#16 · (Edited)
EA Brown has pulled them from their site too.

Kind of a bummer, since the barrel really completes the look. I suppose could put a small reflex sight on it and forget the irons all together with one of the barrels from Tactical Inovations.

I chatted with Green Mountain. They have plans to produce more barrels in stainless steel, but will be 8 weeks (estimate) before they are available.

#24 ·
Chaser,
The wood looks really good on yours.

I'm thinking about putting one of my Kingston Armory steel receivers to use.
I had Scott hand pick a nice one.. it did have a small chip (3x4mm) near the buttplate.. EZ fix with some Walnut putty and TruOil.

#23 ·
That is what I did.. older/beater from a Local Pawn Shop at $150...but the older ones have value in take-offs...sooooooo then I sold the pre-warning barrel and stock for a total of $125. ..they were both in real good condition.

#26 ·
If I can get a barrel then I will build one. No sense in getting the kit if I can't get the barrel.
Good call... 2 months from now we will see.. GM is not what it used to be IMO.. decent barrels but it stops there... 12-15 years back they were a go-to contender... they even sponsored a few Photo Contests here on RFC.

#28 ·
As you have seen I got the Stainless.. I think it's a nice contrast.. I painted inside the fins.. not hard to do and it ties in nice... I say go Stainless.. then there is no worry about the black/blued finish matching your Kingston.
I do not think they Nitride.. just blue them as far as I know.
If ya go Stainless and wanna paint inside the fins and ya need help just gimme a hollar.

Decent accuracy out of that barrel for sure.. if I was to scope it (not gunna happen) I feel it would be MOA or better.

#31 ·
Thanks for the heads up. It looks like it is made by Pike Arms which is the same as Tactical Innovations is selling. It doesn’t have a Cutts compensator on it.

Does anyone know how Pike arms barrels compare to GM. I have a couple GM and they are decent. They aren’t Kidd quality but they are decent.

#32 ·
Thanks for the heads up. It looks like it is made by Pike Arms which is the same as Tactical Innovations is selling. It doesn't have a Cutts compensator on it.

Does anyone know how Pike arms barrels compare to GM. I have a couple GM and they are decent. They aren't Kidd quality but they are decent.
I saw those when I was putting parts on order.. I like the look of the Comp. - and we know how the GM's shoot.. ;)

#34 ·
Project Started!

I got a 10/22 donor carbine a few days ago and plan on ordering the "Squad" conversion kit on Monday or Tuesday. Will also check out the finned barrel leads as I also think that really makes the conversion pop. One thing I wish they had done was to bring the receiver cover sides all the way up past the mag well. I'm sure they were going for the Thompson "look" but I would rather have more stable magazines! Will post pictures when I get something together!

#35 ·
Thompson SMG kit

I received the Scottwerx Thompson SMG conversion kit today! After unpacking the bits and making sure everything was present, it took me about 30 minutes assemble the "new" gun. I've got to glue the magazine extension on a rotary magazine and get some range time to check out the sights. I might replace the somewhat crude rear sight with a Williams peep sight later on. Will post some pix tomorrow.

#36 ·
I received the Scottwerx Thompson SMG conversion kit today! After unpacking the bits and making sure everything was present, it took me about 30 minutes assemble the "new" gun. I've got to glue the magazine extension on a rotary magazine and get some range time to check out the sights. I might replace the somewhat crude rear sight with a Williams peep sight later on. Will post some pix tomorrow.
Did you use the factory barrel?

#39 ·
First trip to the range.........

I took the Thompson/1022 to the range today for it's first outing. Other than a sticky bolt hold open lever, all went well! The sights were right on and I was easily able to hit 6" targets at 50 yds! I took two of the modified mags (one Ruger 10 rd and one Ruger 25 rd) worked perfectly. So, all was good on that front. I also took a couple of 9mm pistols but that is another story!

#40 ·
Thompson 1022

I dug into the trigger group today and replaced the bolt hold open with one that will auto release by pulling back on the bolt. Also, when I put the "kit" back on the Ruger I added a bit of loctite blue to help keep everything in place. Weather permitting, I will probably take a trip to the range and run a few more mags thru it to find what ammo it likes and/or dislikes. So far, the only "issues" have been a few el cheapo rounds that failed to fire. Also, I want to do some (paper) target work to see just how accurate it can be. I am still looking for a finned barrel w/front sight. Anyone runs across one, please let me know! More later.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.