Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Rear bag

7K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  marks_a18138 
#1 ·
What rear bag are y’all using? I’ve bought several through the years and really haven’t found a one size fits all , and hate carrying half the gun room with me to the range. At the moment I’m using a Caldwell br with a Greenlaw top front rest

#3 · (Edited)
jrgreene,

I have these three rear bags/rests and alternate them at times.

Pic #1:
ABRA mechanical rear rest, made by Joe Chacon. Delrin rear spool, infinitely adjustable. Delrin spool width doesn't quite fit my Kelbly BRFB stock though.... fits my other wood stocked rifles ok .... Almost always gets your rifle back to the same POA on the delrin spool.

Pic #2:

Left:
I think I use the SEB Bigfood more than the others, so I might gravitate to that bag because it's big and heavy and doesn't move at all. Slick ears are ....slick.... I also use a dead bottom if the rear area is uneven, or if I need more rear height to aim downwards to the target.

Right:
Edgewood Minigater (tall) with slick ears. It's a toss-up with the SEB as far as being stable. Also with a dead bottom for uneven benches or to get more height.

Get the slick ears, it's only a few more bucks for whatever brand you get.... it's worth it.
Get heavy sand from Brownells..... because it's heavy.......

Attachments

#4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies. I have seen those mechanical rear rests, but never used one. I do like the idea of that, looks like the tracking would be way better. I did a quick search on google, and it don’t look like anybody has them in stock. Can I ask where you bought yours?
Also, where does a person buy the Seb Bigfoot? I’ve looked online and see lots of reviews etc, but nobody selling them. Thanks

Edit: I emailed Ernie and got a reply right back, got a Seb Bigfoot with 3m ears ordered from him 🙂

#11 ·
Also, where does a person buy the Seb Bigfoot? I've looked online and see lots of reviews etc, but nobody selling them. Thanks

Edit: I emailed Ernie and got a reply right back, got a Seb Bigfoot with 3m ears ordered from him 🙂
Make sure you post something here after you get your SEB Bigfoot from Ernie.....

Also, please tell us your efforts to obtain an ABRA rest from Joe Chacon...............

#5 · (Edited)
Joe Chacon's mechanical rest can be found here, and sometimes Killough's carry them.

https://autobenchrestassociation.com/product/abra-rear-mechanical-rest/

The rest is stable and slides back to POA really well.

Be forewarned that the "factory finish" is rough, and it takes a few nights of elbow grease with Flitz paste to get it nice & shiny like mine.

The ABRA rest seems to be out of stock now.... try and email Joe Chacon at abra.22lr@yahoo.com. I emailed Joe Chacon when it was out of stock, and he said he gets them quite regularly and consistently......... I got mine in about 2 weeks. The price is the same as when I got mine in April 2018... so there's no increase.

Ernie is personable and dependable. I got mine through Ernie. You'll get your SEB Bigfoot real soon. You'll see that the slick ears are ..... slick !

#23 ·
I have used an Edgewood rear bag for several years now. It replaced a Protektor which had badly slumped/bulged in the sidewalls.

I have since also had a SEB Bigfoot but it drove me nuts due to constantly leaking Zircon. Maybe normal sand would have been less of a problem. Since sold.

I am a big fan of Edgewood bags which are superbly made. Have had no issues with the shape changing over time. Unfortunately expensive though.

Also have several front rest bags from Edgewood.

#24 · (Edited)
"I have since also had a SEB Bigfoot but it drove me nuts due to constantly leaking Zircon. Maybe normal sand would have been less of a problem. Since sold."

Sorry to hear you had such a problem.

These bags were bought from Ernie last year and the wider one, 2 months ago. I filled them with Brownells/Sinclair heavy sand, which is think is chromite.

Never had a problem with leakage. Maybe better quality control.

Maybe finer grains of zircon than heavy sand which leaked through the seams?

Edgewood makes the best front bags, especially the one with super tall ears... with slick material....the best I've used.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.