Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Tikka T1x aftermarket barrel

24K views 65 replies 20 participants last post by  Kisssofdeath 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
`

#36 ·
Right now the only company I know for a fact that is making aftermarket barrels for the Tikka T1x is International Barrels in Canada. I have been talking with them and they are waiting on import permits at the moment. As soon as they get these they can sell to the US.
I'll be dropping off my 16" T1x for a new barrel from IBI next week. I'll keep all y'all posted.

#39 ·
6. How many grooves should I want?

We concentrate on making our barrels with either 4 or 5 grooves. 4 and 5 groove barrels cover the vast majority of calibers and projectiles.Yes we can do any number of grooves that people request with enough lead time. Get a hold of us if you have a specific request and we will let you know what that lead time is. In most cases it's going to be a month or so. There also be added costs of tooling.

5. 5R rifling...what is it, why do I want it and do you offer it?

5R rifling is a type of rifling that has grooves with tapered edges instead of 90 degree edges.The 5 is the number of grooves and the R stands for Russian. The Russians were the first folks to pioneer it but "Boots" Obermeyer was the first guy in North America to use and perfect it. According to some 5R rifling gives you a couple of advantages. First off the odd number of grooves ensures that that the lands aren't lined up directly across from each other in the bore. The theory is that this provides less "squeeze" on the bullet as it enters the barrel. Some find that 5R barrels run a little faster(more velocity for the same powder charge) than 4 or 6 groove barrels. Secondly, some also find that 5R barrels clean up better. The angled groove edges, instead of the 90 degree edges may allow the patches and brushes to remove fouling easier. Yes we offer it! And we don't charge you more for it. If you order a 5 groove barrel from us it will be a 5R barrel unless otherwise stated.
https://www.internationalbarrels.ca/pages/faqs

#42 ·
a shop here in Australia is bringing in lots of IBI barrels including a few rimfires but none for the t1x, the T1X has a really long throat, and mine takes about 100 rounds after cleaning to begin to really shoot well again, I think that because the IBI barrels use the Eley EPS chamber ,they will shoot better than the standard barrels, but you cannot just fire anything in them. as the EPS chamber is quite tight.

#43 ·
Just figured a few of you might like to know that there is a guy over on SH that turned down the barrel shank on a Feddersen barrel and is putting it on his tikka.

Waiting to hear more from him but it sounds like getting a Kidd barrel (ULW or LW) or maybe even a Volquartsen barrel in 17hm2 shank turned down might be a possibility. The barrel would still retain the factory chamber and crown, only the shank would be modified and I am assuming a secondary extractor groove cut.

I am guessing you would have to find your own gunsmith to do it and make sure the headspace is set but it would be cool to see if this works

#46 ·
Just figured a few of you might like to know that there is a guy over on SH that turned down the barrel shank on a Feddersen barrel and is putting it on his tikka.

Waiting to hear more from him but it sounds like getting a Kidd barrel (ULW or LW) or maybe even a Volquartsen barrel in 17hm2 shank turned down might be a possibility. The barrel would still retain the factory chamber and crown, only the shank would be modified and I am assuming a secondary extractor groove cut.

I am guessing you would have to find your own gunsmith to do it and make sure the headspace is set but it would be cool to see if this works
Seems like I read that a long time ago. Has he ever given an update? Surely by now he has had a chance to shoot it.
I think this is a new guy doing it with a feddersen barrel.

Go over to snipershide and look at the last page on the T1x stickied thread

#64 · (Edited)
There's a thread about how to remove the barrel from a Tikka T1 with a picture of one with an IBI barrel. Can't remember if it's on this site or Canadian gunnutz
This one but I also posted a pic on gunnutz...

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1173407

You can get a few variations of their T1x barrel - straight, fluted, bump at end of barrel or same OD along the entire length. Standard is 22" but they will shorten if required.

The one in the pic is 22", 1:16, barrel spiral fluted. 0.86" OD for the body then 0.925"OD for the last 2.5"

#65 ·
I have yet to hear that one of these barrel swaps actually improve accuracy. Does someone have a before and after accuracy comparison with the same gun and ammo used? I ask this because I intend to buy a T1x in the near future and like the ability to swap barrels if it doesn't shoot well but can't seem to find an honest apples to apples comparison of accuracy improvements.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.