RimfireCentral.com Forums - View Single Post - Exterior Ballistics -- A Primer
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2007, 01:02 AM
Vincent
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
For everything I see Sophia I will agree with you. But now I'm going to mess with you in the REAL world.

To best illustrate this effect we are going to go to a common extreme....the .44 magnum in a hand gun.

You are going to shoot two loads, both with 240 grain bullet.

One load will have a MV of 900 fps

One load will have a MV of 1400 fps

Range is going to be 25 yards.

Which bullet will hit the lowest on the target?

Contrary to what you have posted the SLOW bullet will hit higher on the target and the fast load will hit lower WHY? WHY in the real world does this happen?

Two related answers Recoil and Barrel Residence Time. Recoil stats the instant the powder is ignited and bullet starts to move down the barrel. The faster load reaches the muzzle before the barrel has recoiled quite as far so it leaves at a shallow angle. The slower bullet is in the barrel for longer time. The barrel has traveled farther in it's recoil arc before the bullet leaves the barrel and the barrel is at a steeper incline when the slower bullet leaves the barrel. It ALWAYS strikes the target, at relatively close range, higher on the target.

Does this only happen in large bore handguns?

NO

Load a 180 grain bullet in a .308 Win at two different velocity and you have the same thing out to a certain range.

This is the real life part the ballistic charts leave out. Recoil and barrel residence time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk