Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Steyr Zephyr

11K views 26 replies 18 participants last post by  pt_NZ 
#1 · (Edited)
Steyr Zephyr Pics

Well, let me kick off the new Steyr section with a look at the past:

See less See more
#4 ·
While I like the design & appearance of the new Zephyr II it certainly does not compare to the original Steyr Zephyr Mannlicher in craftsmanship. Maybe this one has exceptional wood compared to most, however I believe most of them "on average" had much better wood than we see occasionally see today.

That's not to say the Zephyr II is not a good rifle.

Great way to kick off the Steyr Section . . . :t :) :D :yippee:

#10 ·
Those Mannlicher-style Steyrs are truly elegant. I am somewhat interested in the new Zephyr, but having a hard time with all the swoops carved into the stock. I might be interested in one should a nice after-market stock become available. I guess I'm just too traditional.

Doug

#13 ·
Those Mannlicher-style Steyrs are truly elegant. I am somewhat interested in the new Zephyr, but having a hard time with all the swoops carved into the stock. I might be interested in one should a nice after-market stock become available. I guess I'm just too traditional.

Doug
Rumor has it that there's a fellow in Montana that can make a nice stock for you. :)

#15 ·
bowwild,

I do own one of the original Steyr Zephyr's w/ set triggers and LOVE it! It's the only one I have ever seen. Just a beautiful little rimfire rifle!

I agree with you regarding a Dakota Model 10 in any rimfire caliber - that would be sweet..! Years ago I handled one for sale in .250/3000 and while not cheap, it was outstanding.

Good luck searching!

Brittman
:)

#16 ·
NVaVettes,

In the photo of your Steyr Zephyr w/ the set triggers and matte finish Leupold scope, do you know what brand of rings you have on it?

The reason I ask is that I have the same set on my Zephyr, but w/ a different scope. The rings I think, may be the same age as the rifle..? They came w/ my rifle and I have NO idea who made them. A company in Austria, perhaps/

Thank you. Beautiful rifle you have there!

Brittman
:t

#18 ·
Brittman:

Thank you for the compliment - the Zephyrs are quite nice.

I believe that those rings are marked 'Kesselring'.

The only tie-in I have found with that name is a gunshop in Washington State called
Kesselring's which was somewhat famous back in the 50-60s.

If you do a Google on "Kesselring scope rings" you will find a few hits showing some
old scope rings and mounts for European guns.

I seem to also remember seeing various advertisements for them in some old Shooters Bibles.

I'll have to go back thru some of them and see if I can still find anything.

Don't quote me on this (yet), my memory isn't what it used to be . . . :rolleyes:

Don

#20 ·
Thank you, GMD, for the update. They keep going up, don't they..? You have a beauty there! I hope you're doing well there now?

Don,
I appreciate your help. I had no idea who made the old scope rings! I'll have to go back and check out some old Shooter's Bibles now - (notice I said "OLD"...)! I will do some Googling also, as you suggested. This set was the first ones I had ever seen.

bowwild,
I have NO intention of buying another Steyr Zephyr, but it sure is fun to look at them!

Thank you for your responses, gentlemen! This has been a fun thread to be in on.

Wes
:t

#22 · (Edited)
I got mine a week or two ago. Just mounted the scope: Leupold VX Freedom Rimfire 3-9x40 on Warne 721M rings. It's leveled, bolt clears, eye relief ok, and the finish of the Warne matte rings looks fine. Also put on the DIP, Inc. trigger guard.

Can't wait to get it out and sighted in.

I'm new here. Hope everyone is doing well.

Update: confirmed these are the exact same magazines, $31.49 ea from Midway USA

#26 ·
I have two questions. I have owned an original Zephyr for about 5 years. Although the open sights are fine for me I would like to add a RF fixed scope. I can't find any Kesselring mounts and have been looking for years. Any other modern solutions that might be out there?

Also believe that my firing spring is a bit weak. Any ideas on who to contact about this? Wolf Spring possible? Thanks for any help.
Justin

#27 ·
Hi Sakogun1, I’ve used Burris 1” Tikka T3 Medium ring mounts on my Zephyr 1 standard stock. I’m very pleased with the fit and shape of these and they allow the fitting of a 44mm AO scope - I don’t have a rear sight though. The Burris rings are narrow enough to fit in the front dovetail. Ive added two photos with different scopes. I’ve also had a new firing pin spring made by a spring maker here in New Zealand. I did talk to Wolf Springs however the postage is expensive and red tape to import is a nightmare. There is another chat where georgejr has added the spring specs: Original Zephyr Mainsprings . Cheers and good luck

Bicycle fork Bicycle handlebar Auto part Office supplies Metal
Air gun Trigger Shotgun Gun barrel Gun accessory

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.