Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

GRITS...let's cheat a little

7K views 32 replies 29 participants last post by  Deathrowdave 
#1 ·
I know all my friends down south will call BS on this assault upon a southern benchmark but I like stuff a little different. I like a large helping of grits with my fried eggs at breakfast so here goes. If you have grits leftover [no such animal] put them in the fridge and use them tomorrow for FRIED grits...yummy.

Boil 2 cups water
Add one chicken bullion cube and wait till it is dissolved into the water
Add 1/2 cup grits and boil according to instructions

When grits are done pour into bowl and add one heaping tablespoon of sour cream. Hot sauce to taste. Mix well.

This, to me, makes a great creamy grit:D

#4 ·
My grits are fine with just a big glop of butter, or topped with sausage gravy. I consider them tasteless without something added, just like lima beans are.

I remember in some of my travels that lots of non-Southerners don't know what grits are. Their reactions are sometimes priceless. Each area has breakfast favorites. In Washington State, I learned about "butterhorns". Picture a plate size cinnamon roll. smothered in butter and often pancake syrup. A bazillion calories. Yum!

#5 ·
Likely heresy, but I do a couple of eggs poached 'hard' in a plastic gizmo from Ohio that I've had for years; 123 seconds nuked to perfection. Also do 'quick grits' w/milk in the microwave, two packages to a half C. of whole milk. Cut the eggs into the finished grits and add fresh ground black pepper & a few splorks of Ashanti [tm] Louisiana hot sauce from N'orlins. gets me thu mornings when the bride prefers to sleep in. :bthumb:

#6 ·
Stone ground grits cooked low and slow in chicken stock (4 cups liquid to 1 cup grits). add one 4oz can of greed chilis. Throw in a hand full of sharp cheddar and a healthy splash of 1/2&1/2 when finished. 2 over easy eggs on top slathered with Franks Red Hot and enjoy.
If you like your eggs on the side just put a big ol gob of butter a healthy dose of black pepper on the grits.

Put the left over grits in the fridge and microwave in a covered dish as needed. I'm just feeding me and a batch lasts five or six days.

PS....bring the liquid to a boil then add the grits, reduce heat and cover for 20-30 minutes stirring often.

#8 ·
Born, raised and lived in the South from the gitgo. Not much is heresy for grits unless you refuse to eat it without sugar or syrup. In that case, you probably just forgot to try it the way God intended. Now for a tip on cheese grits. Instead of plunking cheddar, American, etc. into the pot, just use half of your normal amount of your favorite cheese and complete the other half with grated parmesan, romano and/or asiago. I know it sounds heretical to my fellow country boys, but the Italian cheeses just kick in the afterburner on cheese flavor.

#12 ·
at the old pink house in savannah georgia is where i first discovered deep fried grit cakes with tasso gravy on them, as past of the classic shrimp and grits dish you find down south. Make your grits like normal then put them in a dish and leave in the fridge overnight to form up (ive found the best dish to be one you get from chinese take out, the little plastic bowls that the entree comes in). Then deep fry them and serve....hardest part is finding the tasso ham

Ive had lots of awesome grits over the year but this one is the absolute best imo

#21 ·
Funny this thread came up. I did a big bowl of grits this morning, lots of margarine and some sugar. Don't know if there is a way to do them wrong. I've put everything on them but a hat! And they've always been good. Will have to try some of these recommendations in the near future.

#28 ·
Winter, about 1986 or so. Fort Jackson, SC, Army basic training. Age of 25 was my first intro to grits. Served at the chow hall. The southern boys in my unit advised me to smother them with butter. This Iowa boy found them to be a pretty decent filler addition to a meal, and has no qualms about having a helping at breakfast.
You boys can keep your hot sauces.....my tummy doesn't get along with too much spice. ('course, I'm 63 now)

Roger

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.