Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Boat paddle stock scope issues

3K views 14 replies 15 participants last post by  mrt949 
#1 ·
I used to have a Simmons 4x scope on my 77/22, but it broke and I’ve been looking for a replacement for a while now. With bunny and squirrel season coming up I’m feeling the need to get something on sooner rather than later. I currently have some medium rings on, but after trying 4 different scopes I can’t find one that will allow me to cycle the bolt. I’ve tried a cabela’s 4x. A vortex crossfire 3-9x40. A Scheel’s 3.5-10x40. I’ve tried high rings and though that worked for mounting it did not work for shooting.

Nothing has worked so far. From what I can tell the Vortex Crossfire ii 2-7 should work, but no local shops have it and I hate to order it in and then have issues with fitment. Any tips?

#3 ·
Use amazon, they take it back if you don’t like it. Nikon 2x7 is nice, I know everyone puts those big wanken ocular ends on their scopes. But if you go cheap enough you can find scopes without it. Tasco, Simmons, Barska ,UTG, all have a scope that will work. I put a burins A17 3.5 x10 x36 on my 77/17 and it fit , barely!

#6 ·
I'm using a Burris Timberline 4.5-14 X 32 A.O. on my 77/22, and it fits, even with Ruger LOW (#3) rings. As stated above, the Leupold FX-1 4 X 28 also works...I had that one mounted before the Burris. The Leupold 3-9 X 33 EFR would also be a good one. The Nikon 3-9 X 40 EFR is a good scope, but just misses clearing the bolt. I don't know why so many modern scopes have to have such a huge eyepiece.

#9 ·
I used to have a Simmons 4x scope on my 77/22, but it broke and I've been looking for a replacement for a while now. With bunny and squirrel season coming up I'm feeling the need to get something on sooner rather than later. I currently have some medium rings on, but after trying 4 different scopes I can't find one that will allow me to cycle the bolt. I've tried a cabela's 4x. A vortex crossfire 3-9x40. A Scheel's 3.5-10x40. I've tried high rings and though that worked for mounting it did not work for shooting.

Nothing has worked so far. From what I can tell the Vortex Crossfire ii 2-7 should work, but no local shops have it and I hate to order it in and then have issues with fitment. Any tips?
I had a Simmons 4x on the gun using the original Ruger rings. I now have a Leupold 4x on there still using the original Ruger rings. It is tight - no super fast slapping but it does work.

#10 · (Edited)
I would think taller and prob. Med. height rings will be your friend once you settle on which optic you like the best. Now, NOT ALL Med's are the same height, they vary from Mfg. to Mfg. .. but you do need some more elevation.. thus measurements will need to be taken and compared... Midway USA usually gives good spec. on their site on ring heights from the base or bottom of ring.. Burris Sig. Zee rings are highly recommended... but you may need to call Burris to get the height from the base.. the nice things about the Burris Signature Zee's is that you can buy a set of offset inserts to give you more height/elevation over the action... I have done this several times.. get the offsets and use in pairs.. in a Med. ring you very well may need 2 sets of .020's ... you will install the + in the bottom and the - in/on the top of each ring ... thus getting you .02 more height... and these rings may sit higher that your current rings without the offsets but it's nice to have that option if needed.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1548661544
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1548170647

In summation I say you are chasing it the wrong way... choose the optic you want and buy new rings that will work!

#12 ·
My boat paddle All Weather 77/22 WMR has a Leupold compact 2x7 on it in the rings that Ruger supplied with the rifle. Great combination if you ask me. Eye relief is fine, the scope has plenty of room to move in the rings to optimize that critical consideration. Stock fit is good with that scope and mount. Plenty of bolt clearance. Not sure what if anything would ever be better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.