Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

17 hmr vs 17 hm2

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  RICOCHET 
#1 ·
I didn't even know there were 2 17 rounds until the day before yesterday!!! I tried to do a search to see if anyone else is as in the dark as me but I guess I'm just out of the loop!!

What I have gathered so far is that I can convert my 10/22 to 17hm2 but not hmr. Is the ammo hard to find? What do I need to do the conversion and where do I get it. From what I gather the main advantage to the 17 hm2 is that I can have more fun shooting longer distances correct?

Anything else I need to know?

#3 · (Edited)
gitarmac said:
I didn't even know there were 2 17 rounds until the day before yesterday!!! I tried to do a search to see if anyone else is as in the dark as me but I guess I'm just out of the loop!!

What I have gathered so far is that I can convert my 10/22 to 17hm2 but not hmr. Is the ammo hard to find? What do I need to do the conversion and where do I get it. From what I gather the main advantage to the 17 hm2 is that I can have more fun shooting longer distances correct?

Anything else I need to know?
.17hm2 is a necked down .22lr.

.17hmr is a necked down .22mag.

You can easily convert your standard 10/22 to shoot .17hm2. You need a new barrel & a heavier bolt. VQ makes an HM2 bolt ($180). If you don't want to buy a new bolt, you can also buy a heavier bolt handle ($50) which is more economical (you can buy the bolt handle here: .17 HM2 Bolt Handle You simply install the bolt handle on your factory 10/22 bolt.

You can also convert your 10/22 Magnum to shoot .17HMR. Here you will just need a new barrel.

With either conversion, they will shoot more reliably (IMHO) with a VQ Exact Edge extractor installed & a good bolt buffer (I use Weaponkraft).

Both rounds are much more enjoyable to shoot, but they are more expensive.

Here's a good comparative look at ballistics:

#5 ·
SOUTHERN S/PAW said:
There are actually 3 17 rounds
17 aguila, 17 hm2 and 17 hmr.

The 17hm2 anf the 17 aguila are bsed on the .22 lr case, 17hm2 based
on the stinger case.

the 17 hmr is based on the .22 mag case.

there are 3 17s so far.

S/SP
to add more... the .17 aguila is okay to shoot barrels chambered for 17HM2, but not 17HMR.
-tex

#6 ·
gitarmac,

bought one of the EABco kits, think it was around $170.00 + ship. mine was the ss
bull bbl and the cocking handle which is a lot heavier than the stocker, which seems to be the trick to the timing of the bolt. am totally satisfied. if i want to go back to LR just change bbl and use the original bolt. the HM2 gets out to 100 yds + and is flat shooting. i get my ammo on-line. lol, when i first asked about this ammo here at the gun shop, they said" 17 what??" about $4.50 per 50 rounds. am thinking of "retiring my GM lr bbl. would rather shoot at 100, not much of a challenge w/ the HM2 vs 22lr, but JMO

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.