Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Grip suggestions

4K views 31 replies 22 participants last post by  ScoobyDoo 
#1 ·
Hi all,

After shooting my new Model 41 for about a month and breaking it in, I really like it. One issue I have though is the grip. I have small hands. In order to get my trigger finger properly placed on the trigger, I have to change my grip a bit. Its not the most comfortable way of shooting. I imagine I'll get used to it. I'm wondering if Herritts target grips or any other grips could resolve this issue. I'd like to get some feedback before I purchase grips. Thanks.

#2 ·
41 Grips

First, I love the S&W 41, not so much the factory grips. I have large hands, so I took a chance on Nil Target grips for Large hands. Could not be happier except that my meat hooks engage the safety several times since there is contact with my thumb. The Nil grips come in small so something for everyone. Not many stocking dealers nor many others at my local range to handle before purchasing. $250 or less if memory serves. Great feel for me.

#9 · (Edited)
I'm a fan of the Herrett Trainer grip that have the slim profile of a 1911 grip... definitely friendly to smaller hands and shorter fingers. They are available in either the flat or arched back, and are about $94.00. I found my set on e-bay for less.

I added the S&W emblems. The vent rib was machined in by EWKARMS, who offers other barrel mods in addition to the rib:

http://www.ewkarms.com/zen8/index.p...enid=c50bf55bc84abe0bbe605935ffa0f26c1dbccac3

Attachments

#12 · (Edited)
I too did not care much for the stock grips on my 41 and went with Nill adjustable target grips. Especially good for one handed bullseye shooting but I have used them for two hand shooting as well but keep in mind the left side is flat.

I have small or average size hands at best and these Nills fit my hand about as perfect as any grip I have ever used. I was able to find these on eBay for a pretty good price right about the time the online vendors raised the price of Nills dramatically.

#17 ·
Ordered Grips

Wanted to update my search for grips. I received a number of recommendations for grips made at https://www.precisiontargetpistolgrips.com. I ordered them and are waiting for the final version to arrive. The owner uses your hand dimensions to produce grips using 3D printing. We exchanged a number of emails, where he asked a bunch of detailed questions. He then sent me a low quality grip he printed based on my dimensions for me to try. Using that I was able to provide additional input. I should be receiving the final version next week. Price was reasonable. Service excellent.

#19 ·
Sticker Shock!!

I was amazed at the price for the Nills stocks! Hogue has some very nice grips for the Mod. 41 at the extreme of $125. These come in rosewood, cocobolo and some other nice woods and look as nice as the Nills. I would like to hear what you kind folks believe make the Nills the grip to go to.
Thanks!
Gary

#32 ·
I was amazed at the price for the Nills stocks! Hogue has some very nice grips for the Mod. 41 at the extreme of $125. These come in rosewood, cocobolo and some other nice woods and look as nice as the Nills. I would like to hear what you kind folks believe make the Nills the grip to go to.
Thanks!
Gary
Nill grips are extremely high quality - the fit and finish are second to none (e.g., the seams line up perfectly, etc.). In addition, the grips are very comfortable with a nice contour.

That said, S&W made a minor change to the grip frame so sometimes the inside of the grip needs to be sanded down to fit on the frame. Not all grips need this and even if you have to sand it down, the end result is an amazing fit.

#21 ·
Left hand grips

The M41 will fit either hand quite comfortably out of the box. I recommend from my experience that you use that fine gun for about 100 rounds BEFORE considering custom fitted Herrett grips. I did this 50 years ago for Bullseye competition when given this same advice. Have fun!

Ted

#22 ·
Hogue Grips

Go to the Hogue web site. You can get a pair of stocks without the thumb rest which should fit your hand. They come in exotic woods for about $80 or so. I just got a new Mod. 41 and found it had laminated grips and said "screw that" and just now ordered a set of Hogue stocks in Cocobolo with thumb rest non-checkered. I hope you can find what your looking for!:)

#24 ·
Thinner grips

I have the same problem of small hands. I really like the M41 grips because I shoot both right handed and left handed. I've shot about 500 rounds as of today and I find the standard grips on my PC M41 are a bit too thick for me. However, I do like the thumb rest but it's not a deal breaker because I shoot 1911's also. I was wondering if anyone knows how thick the Hogue grips are? Or if anyone knows how the Altamont grips are for thickness and quality?

#25 ·
The Hogue grips are noticeably thicker than the factory 41 grips. I changed out the factory grips on my 41 PC for Hogues. I have medium size hands, the Hogues are really too large but I'm living with it. You might try the 1911 style Herrett trainer grips though I don't believe they have a thumb rest.

#28 ·
I have a pair of grips for my 41 identical to the picture I am posting. I have this same style grip on two High Standards I have as well but cannot find a name or source to buy the S&W version like shown. Clearly they are not custom but manufactured for the 41 as a replacement grip. I love mine and have a friend that would like a pair too. If anyone can identify these by name or manufacturer or where they can be purchased, I would really appreciate it. Thanks all!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.