RimfireCentral.com Forums - View Single Post - CM-2 Front Sight Inserts
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2009, 08:11 PM
Charlotte
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (-1)
I got my inserts from ChampChoice and they were 18mm. I used a nail file to size them down to fit and it takes so little time to remove 1mm.
I've used only the 2.8 - 3.4 depending on light conditions (dark cloudy days taks a bigger aperture) and whether I'm using a distance lens or a reading lens in my Knobloch shooting glasses. With a distance lens I can use a smaller 2.8 or 3.0. With my reading lens I use the 3.2 or 3.4.
My opinion is that if you were able to use every insert option you would find the plastic to be your favorite. They are EXCELLENT.
A really simple option if your heart is set on using metal inserts is to get a dovetail sight block and have a gunsmith drill and tap for the sight block and buy an Anschutz or Lyman globe.
The one thing I need to add about the plastic inserts is thatyou will need to cover the slot on top of the globe to keep light from hitting the edge of the plastic insert as that will disturb your sight picture. Opaque tape is cheap.
BTW, I've been in a match during a 20 minute timed sequence and switched apertures and still cleaned my target in under 15 minutes. This is not a compromise insert.

Last edited by Charlotte; 11-10-2009 at 08:17 PM.