RimfireCentral.com Forums

RimfireCentral.com Forums (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   RFC Community Forum (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Tell me about Constitutional Carry..... (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1175291)

rc. 10-27-2019 12:50 AM

Tell me about Constitutional Carry.....

Tell me about constitutional carry in your state. I understand some like Kansas no longer require a permit to carry for residents. How does that apply to non residents? Is this concealed or open carry or both?

bunnytoo 10-27-2019 06:33 AM

Up here Wyoming way, you have to be a resident (and meet all the needs of a concealed carry permit) for constitutional concealed carry. I think anyone can open carry.

flangster 10-27-2019 08:48 AM

Vermont has no laws regarding concealed or open carry. Carry away. I did see a fellow last year at the grocery store with his family and an openly carried pistol on his belt. No one seemed to bat an eye. . .

IdahoMTM 10-27-2019 09:16 AM

Here in Idaho, all residents can carry open, or concealed, ….no permission from any "authority" needed (just as it was written in the founding documents so long ago). In this part of the country it still feels like we live in United States of America,..... in many other places (I lived in MANY) not so much.

LtCrunch 10-27-2019 09:58 AM

Open carry is legal in Colorado (with the exception of Denver) although in the more urban areas it can draw unwanted attention from LEOs. There have been several lawsuits over it and the open carry proponents have won in each but only after being arrested/hassled. In rural areas no one cares, it's normal.

Concealed carry which is my idea of "Constitutional Carry" still requires a permit although we've been a "shall issue" state for years so the chief law enforcement officer in each county can't pick and choose who gets one and who doesn't.

I'm torn on the idea of permitless concealed carry. I really like the idea of at least some minimal amount of training being required before setting every Tom Dick and Lucy loose with a loaded pistol in their pocket. I'm somewhat of a libertarian too though. Thinking, " Leave adults alone to do adult things and if they mess up then they face the consequences."

Not sure what the right answer is but enough states have enacted Constitutional Carry over the last few years that we should have enough data to make a national choice before long.

Frank

MKnarr 10-27-2019 10:30 AM

Frank I agree. I also live in SW Colorado and on rare occasions I will take my winter jacket off at a restaurant and have never had an issue. Most of the time I wear a concealed garment even when I go to the range. Although I understand permit-less carry, I also have some misgivings about any type of carry without some training.

I was the manager of the free public range I mentioned for 10 years. As you know, every hunter must go through a hunter safety course even from out of sate if they are going to hunt in Colorado. Well my point is two fold. If hunters must go through a safety course, maybe people that want to carry should also go through a safety course once and done. The second point is, while at the range I have seen way to many hunters (that had to go through the safety course) act in very unsafe manners. So even with safety training, it doesn't mean they are really going to be safe. BTW, I have over 50 hours of training with an NRA and ex Army Ranger instructor and practice to the tune of some 2000 to 3000 rounds a year. There are some "instructors" don't even require the students to actually shoot, only class room work and the state doesn't require that the people shoot.

Toomany22s 10-27-2019 12:18 PM

Smart people will take a safety training course , whether required or not, dumb people will take one only if required and not pay attention. That being said, i don't think an optional gun safety course is a bad idea. The state police could give them as part of the fee for getting a carry license. The dnr for a hunting license, etc. that way you could learn something and get to meet the LEO s and they could get to meet you. And if you opt out, well thats on you, but hard to explain why if you have an accident.

As for open carry, not for me, I'm like Gomer Pyle” Surprise Surprise Surprise”, but if you like it ,thats your business, doesn't matter to me , unless your shoulder rig is pointing a cocked and locked pistol at me. I don't like that at all.

rc. 10-27-2019 02:02 PM

My friend who has a CCW told me his class offered an option for a Utah permit which gives reciprocity to a bunch of the U.S. I would like to do some prospecting for property and the ability to carry a CCW would make me feel better. I already have a lot of experience shooting handguns and carry on the ranch sometimes. Enough I know I would be fine doing so anywhere with the right clothes. I bought a K9 with night sights and bianchii black shadow holster a few years ago and have it running well with the holster broken in for comfort and it retains the gun very well. A K9 shoots way better than it should for the size. My S&W915 was a bigger gun but could hardly hold a 4 inch group at 25. Bigger guns like a full size CZ are way larger than I would want to carry. Biggest problems with Kahr is they do a lousy job polishing the chambers and putting a quality solid steel guide rod on them. They also have sketch plastic followers that break but there are aftermarket aluminum ones that solve that issue.

Al the Infidel 10-27-2019 05:01 PM

Here ya go. http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/michigan.pdf

rc. 10-27-2019 07:32 PM

Thanks Al,

I appreciate that. I know I need to find out more about carry laws in various states.

SLS 10-27-2019 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rc. (Post 11652011)
Thanks Al,

I appreciate that. I know I need to find out more about carry laws in various states.

Absolutely. Since every State is different, its not only important to know the laws in your home State, but the States nearby that you may travel to. I happen to live very close to 2 other States that do not recognize my carry license. I’m friends with people who are careless and don’t seem to care about the very serious consequences of breaking the laws of those nearby States. Firearms laws are no joke and the penalties can be serious. I always have to be conscious of where I might go on any given day.

Toomany22s 10-27-2019 08:40 PM

Try this https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/res...ciprocity_map/

Vee3 10-28-2019 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IdahoMTM (Post 11651365)
Here in Idaho, all residents can carry open, or concealed, ….no permission from any "authority" needed (just as it was written in the founding documents so long ago). In this part of the country it still feels like we live in United States of America,..... in many other places (I lived in MANY) not so much.

Must be a fine feeling. :bthumb:

I can't wait 'till I retire to AZ. Oddly enough though, there are places in CA (my State) where you'd think you were somewhere else...

"Openly carrying loaded or unloaded firearms in public is generally prohibited in California. However, the sheriff of any county with a population under 200,000 people, or the chief of police of a city within that county, may issue licenses to carry a loaded, exposed handgun. Those licenses are only valid in the county where they are issued."

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/res...p/ca-gun-laws/

Although CA is a "may issue" State, some County Sheriffs issue CCWs pretty freely. I know several guys in rural counties who hold them.

I also know people living in rural areas within San Bernadino and San Diego Counties, where thinly spread law enforcement agencies responsible for their mountain alcoves pay them no mind if they behave themselves.

LorenatBMS 10-29-2019 09:55 PM

In Kansas we can open or conceal carry without special permit. Not sure why anyone would want to open carry. Not against it, but I would want the slight advantage of being concealled if stuff went sideways.

Protect the 2A always!!! Give no ground

lone gunman 10-30-2019 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IdahoMTM (Post 11651365)

idaho also recognizes my washington state permit so the only time i have worry is when i travel through oregon to get to boise.