RimfireCentral.com Forums

RimfireCentral.com Forums (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Buck Mark / Buck Mark Rifle / Challenger I, II & III / Medalist / International Medalist and No (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=329)
-   -   Friday Flashback---My first Buckmark (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1172869)

dimeman 09-28-2019 12:46 AM

Friday Flashback---My first Buckmark

2 Attachment(s)
Way back in 1993 I decided to buy my 2nd handgun, the 1st being a Jennings J22 (which I still have).
After reading reviews on the NEW Browning Buckmark Micro in 1992, I decided to save up and buy one.
After a few months I had enough money to buy one at a small mom and pop gun store close buy.

Present day---I just got done installing some new parts to bring it back to life.
Put in the Volsquarten hammer and trigger, new slide and firing pin assembly and other moving parts in and on the frame to make it work like a new pistol.
Had seen a 5-1/2 inch Field barrel and rail on Feebay and had to buy it some months back.
Had to buy a new Field rail for the new blade sight so I could put the fiber optic sight on it.

Since the 1993 did not come with the magazine disconnect rod, Some of the Buckmark grips wont allow the magazine button to push fully (for some reason??) so the stock grips are still on it. And the Halo rack is on the new slide.

After and before photos......

jstanfield103 09-28-2019 05:20 AM

Much improved. Very Nice, those are also nice comfortable grips and belong on that pistol. You did good.

dimeman 10-01-2019 11:56 AM

just saw a youtube video on Buckmarks not resetting.
Since I had replaced the trigger, the pin might be sticking out a little bit on the right hand side. Could be why some grips wont let the trigger reset.
I will have to check that out.

wproct 10-01-2019 12:13 PM

Going from the Jennings to the Browning, that's not a step up, that's a huge leap! Nice!:bthumb:

rdas 10-01-2019 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dimeman (Post 11621951)
Since the 1993 did not come with the magazine disconnect rod, Some of the Buckmark grips wont allow the magazine button to push fully (for some reason??) so the stock grips are still on it. And the Halo rack is on the new slide.

I don't understand that comment. What's the connection between the magazine disconnector rod and the magazine release button? In newer guns, the magazine disconnector rod moves up and down with the magazine ejector at the bottom of the grip, but that's not connected to the magazine release button, and I don't see how the lack of that rod in the older gun would cause issues with the grip-to-mag-release fit. I've put new and aftermarket grips onto old Buckmarks (pre mag disconnector safety) without issue before.

Make sure the grips you're trying to put on are for the standard/UFX grip frame, though. UDX grip frames have the grip positioning pin in a different place, and so the grips have the corresponding hole inside in a different place.

Grips causing trigger reset issues... yeah, that's probably because the disconnector pin is too far to the right. If you go too far to the left the pin catches in the access hole in the frame on the left, and the trigger won't move at all, so people have a tendency to overcompensate to the right, thinking it's not an issue. But then it rubs on the right grip. You want the disconnector pin to be almost as far left as possible (as long as the disconnector doesn't slip off that pin in use, you're fine). You can also relieve the inside of the grip more.

Dave

dimeman 10-01-2019 04:03 PM

I took the right grip off and looked at the pin, compared to another one of my Buckmarks.
The pin is sticking out a little too far to the right.

dimeman 10-01-2019 06:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I wanted to check everything on this Buckmark, so I took off both grips and the slide.
There were two problems on this one. When I took off the slide I noticed something not right with the rod in the firing pin assembly.
Here's a photo..................yes it is bent.:(
Glad I had extra some extra assemblies. And the trigger pin was a little too far to the right.
It seems to work fine now. I need to take it to the range and make sure.

rdas 10-02-2019 01:45 PM

From what I've read, you can usually just re-straighten the guide rod, and it will return to proper, reliable functioning. The guide rods are made of pretty soft metal, so it takes that kind of bending and re-bending abuse pretty well, and also means that it's not very difficult to re-straighten them. I've straightened one without issue (but that's a pretty small sample size).

It might be bent from using the guide rod as a lever to pull the plastic firing pin housing out of the slide. Don't do that. Use a metal dental pick to reach down into the slot on the side of the housing, and pull it straight up out of the slide with that. There's a good description of that, with photo, on page 2 of Chim's disassembly instructions.

Dave

dimeman 10-04-2019 03:39 PM

Just ordered some C-clips for the recoil rod assembly, and a few more guide assemblys... just to make sure I have some extra. Will have to check Striplins for a couple of his Buckmark recoil spring guide retaining rods, since Browning has discontinued making them.

rdas 10-07-2019 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dimeman (Post 11628147)
Just ordered some C-clips for the recoil rod assembly, and a few more guide assemblys... just to make sure I have some extra. Will have to check Striplins for a couple of his Buckmark recoil spring guide retaining rods, since Browning has discontinued making them.

Last time I called them, Browning wouldn't sell me the guide rod alone, but they hadn't discontinued making them. I had to buy the "B5150065 RECOIL SPRING GUIDE ASSEMBLY ('01-PRESENT)", which included the rod, spring, c-clip, and firing pin housing. The housing is only good on the new-style slide, but the other parts are the same for both. So, that's probably what you want anyway, regardless of whether you own the old-style slide or new-style slide, because recoil springs wear out, and the c-clips are easy to lose, so having extras of those is always a good thing. If you need the old-style tombstone-shaped plastic guide part, call Jack First; their website says they have them.

Dave