Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Targets and matches questions

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  nrs 
#1 ·
I printed off some USBR practice targets.

How would I get an idea of how well I would shoot the real target?
Is there any matches here for this practice target?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I’m new at it but seriously think the way to find out just how you’d shoot a USBR target is to get some and try it. I bought 100 USBR targets from the guy listed in the “How to order official USBR 50 yard targets” link on here for all of $27.50 shipped, and they were here in about three days. They are a heavy paper target, very nice and far better than I can print off. So I just started shooting some with fairly good ammo. I haven’t done that well; it’s a learning process.

For example, I shot a USBR target where the last row showed a 10, 9, 10, 9 then a darned 7. I fired a five shot group with the same ammo, same rifle & rests immediately after that was 0.266” CTC. That shows just how different shooting the Green Monster is vs shooting groups, at least for me. I have a good rifle and am a pretty fair shot for groups, casual plinking, and on big game but the USBR 50 is a whole new thing. I need to work on how I shoot it with F & R bags, or spring for a mechanical front rest...then keep on learning.

I think if you spend the $27.50 you’ll find it a very reasonable deal. There are 25 & 50 yard monthly USBR matches in the CZ subforum here, but I don’t know of others.

#7 ·
I’m new at it but seriously think the way to find out just how you’d shoot a USBR target is to get some and try it. I bought 100 USBR targets from the guy listed in the “How to order official USBR 50 yard targets” link on here for all of $27.50 shipped, and they were here in about three days. They are a heavy paper target, very nice and far better than I can print off. So I just started shooting some with fairly good ammo. I haven’t done that well; it’s a learning process.

For example, I shot a USBR target where the last row showed a 10, 9, 10, 9 then a darned 7. I fired a five shot group with the same ammo, same rifle & rests immediately after that was 0.266” CTC. That shows just how different shooting the Green Monster is vs shooting groups, at least for me. I have a good rifle and am a pretty fair shot for groups, casual plinking, and on big game but the USBR 50 is a whole new thing. I need to work on how I shoot it with F & R bags, or spring for a mechanical front rest...then keep on learning.

I think if you spend the $27.50 you’ll find it a very reasonable deal. There are 25 & 50 yard monthly USBR matches in the CZ subforum here, but I don’t know of others.
What will help your score is to shoot your rows vertically instead of horizontally.

#4 ·
If I am not mistaken, you can use that target in the monthly CZ 50 yard

match.https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1226399

Copy and paste if that works or, as mentioned above, go to the CZ/BRNO forum and look for the July 50 yard match.

Also, as mentioned, you will get a better idea of how you actually score if you order some of the official USBR targets as you will get a cleaner hole to score. Once you look at some of the targets either there or on the 25 yard thread you will see how critical a neat hole is.

#9 · (Edited)
So I think Ii understand your response of the "leas point method" scoring method.
We score our targets by using a -0 for scoring a ten, a -1 for a nine, and a minus -2 for scoring an eight, and so on down the line.
It's just so much easier to add them up, and then subtract that number from the max score of 250.

We also label an X with an X and then place each rows total minus points plus the X count on the side of the target forming a scoring column.
Exp:
2X

As seen on the target below that I shot at our August 23 match.
Score was a 248-10X.

Check out the how to score a USBR target near the end of our Match Rules page.

Smooth.

#11 ·
You're confusing the ARA match and targets and there use of worst edge scoring, with this thread which is discussing the USBR target and its best edge scoring.

I can explain the ARA target and scoring for you if you wish.
But it won't be until tomorrow, so if someone else wants to jump in, be my guest.

Smooth

#12 ·
Yes, it appears that the ARA target is being used in the "Factory Benchrest, and Unlimited Benchrest Rules" online monthly postings. That was what I was interested in and didn't realize there was different scoring rules (worst edge vs best edge) for different benchrest competitions.