RimfireCentral.com Forums

RimfireCentral.com Forums (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Browning (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   " Doing a Flip " (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210132)

RICOCHET 01-04-2008 04:09 PM

" Doing a Flip "

well all,

got the '2005 NIB contour URX in yesterday and was trying to take it apart for a
cleaning.

well, i managed to bend the operating rod a "bit", but got it straight
again. then i brought up the pics of heggis tutorial and flipped the
spring. the hammer wouldn't move. i noticed that my spring has
an extra "dog leg" on the short side where his is straight.

does that matter or did i goof on something? i put it back to normal
and it works okay.

thanks all,

rico....

leathermanwave 01-05-2008 12:03 PM

Can you give me a link to the tutorial.

guns&motorcycles 01-05-2008 12:07 PM

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...=174356&page=4

This is page 4 of the thread, which has some good pictures.

Kodiakplinker 01-05-2008 09:25 PM

I just did the flip in my 5.5 Contour URX, what a difference! My spring also had the little dogleg so I straightened it out to look like the ones in the pictures, I can't wait to go to the range tonight and try it out!

RICOCHET 01-05-2008 10:02 PM

well, guys,

i feel a lot more comfy with a 10/22 and was a bit leery about bending the spring. tomorrow will take it apart again and give it a try again, lol, with one diff,
will follow chims advice and remove the bbl first, after removing the scope
and sight rail. it's about time i got more "friendly" with this pistol, altho i've
only had it a few days and about 50 rounds thru it.

on my 1st attempt trying to remove the plastic thingee, i bent the recoil
rod but got it straightened out and it cycles great with 5 diff types of ammo
so far.

now to do more reading and try to figure out how to be rid of all that
pre-travel movement on the trigger.

thanks again, all,

rico....

RICOCHET 01-06-2008 12:05 AM

well,

got the nerve up to go and bend the "dog leg", removed the bbl this time per chims advice. wow!! that screw was tight. but everything went well and the trigger pull is around 2.75 lbs or a bit less. AND, the safety works, guess i did it right,
but i can see where there may be a place to try and remove some pre-travel. nxt time apart will try something, just dont know what just yet.

thanks all for the hints and tips to make this new gun to be more fun,

rico....

speed647 01-06-2008 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RICOCHET (Post 1684340)
removed the bbl this time per chims advice. wow!! that screw was tight.

Mine is so tight I gave up on it at the time, thinking I would strip or even break the hex head screw if I put more pressure on it. :eek: Feels like it is red-loctited in there.

saxman 01-06-2008 01:08 AM

so mine has the dog leg on the spring... I did the swap without touching it, and everything went back together fine. The gun dry fires fine, but I haven't had a chance to run to the range since doing it.

Should I pull it out and straighten the dog leg?

RICOCHET 01-06-2008 01:29 AM

speed,

when i finally got the screw out, there was some white looking stuff on it,
guessing it is some sort of sealant. i think the allen wrench supplied is a bit
longer for this purpose. yea, had to really crank on it, but it did give,

saxman,

if yours works, go with it. the first time i tried without bending the spring,
the hammer wouldn't cock. maybe i didn't have the bottom leg centered
in the sear groove which is barely visible.

also make sure the safety works.

am just larnin' about these pistols with all the great pics and hints from
the gurus here, and a whole bunch of searching and reading

rico....nxt is "polishing", lol....

saxman 01-06-2008 02:53 AM

everything works great... at least without ammo going through it.

Cocks fine, dry fires fine, safety does its job, etc... everything does what it should.

That said, I'm yet to run any ammo through it, so I can't say what it will do with some actual range time.

I also had the white sealant on the barrel retainer screw. I've been using a #15 Torx bit in a screwdriver for the barrel and a #10 Torx bit for the sight rails. Works perfectly. Far better than the allen wrench that came with the gun for the sight rail, and certainly better than the lack of anything for the barrel ;)

On a side note, I'm a victim of the bent guide rod... happened the first time I took the gun apart, before putting any rounds through it. I've put a good 700 rounds though it already, including a 525 federal bulk pack with very few issues(only a few fte and stove pipes out of the whole box, all within the first 200 rounds). Should I be concerned about the rod at all?

Heggis 01-06-2008 03:11 AM

Ricochet: little info on the pretravel... https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=208849

Old Gaffer 01-06-2008 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saxman (Post 1684461)
On a side note, I'm a victim of the bent guide rod... <snip> Should I be concerned about the rod at all?

Saxman,

The rod is mild steel; straighten it as best you can and keep shooting. If it bothers you (I doubt it'll bother the gun) you can order one from Browning for cheap.

All the best,
Rob

Old Gaffer 01-06-2008 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saxman (Post 1684461)
On a side note, I'm a victim of the bent guide rod... <snip> Should I be concerned about the rod at all?

Saxman,

The rod is mild steel; straighten it as best you can and keep shooting. If it bothers you (I doubt it'll bother the gun) you can order one from Browning for cheap.

All the best,
Rob