RimfireCentral.com Forums

RimfireCentral.com Forums (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   RFC Community Forum (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Why is it? (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1225561)

PigButtons 06-16-2021 12:20 PM

Why is it?

Why is it that smoke alarm batteries only go out in the middle of the night?

Happened to me at 2:00 am last night.

'ol shooter 06-16-2021 12:45 PM

:1t
It happens because you aren't changing them when you should, once a year when Daylight Savings starts. I use a 10 year lithium 9v battery in my stand alone unit, the alarm system's detectors all use lithium 123's that seem to last 6 years at least.

whiplash 06-16-2021 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'ol shooter (Post 12363841)
It happens because you aren't changing them when you should, once a year when Daylight Savings starts. I use a 10 year lithium 9v battery in my stand alone unit, the alarm system's detectors all use lithium 123's that seem to last 6 years at least.

So batteries than have 10 and 6 year lives are to be changed every year? What additional risk would there be in going to 5 and 3 years?

LtCrunch 06-16-2021 02:20 PM

I use 10 year lithium 9v batteries too. The main risk is an extended power outage that would croak my 10X more expensive smoke alarm batteries before their time!

And heck no I'm not going to change them every year. They'll beep when they're toasted, probably in the middle of the night, and it will annoy my beloved, and I'll have to run around with a step ladder at 2 AM switching batteries while the dog stares at me like I'm a loon...

Thanks for bringing up all these traumatizing thoughts PigButtons :p

Frank

P.S. Smoke alarms should really be replaced every 10 years.

aztarget 06-16-2021 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LtCrunch (Post 12363927)
I use 10 year lithium 9v batteries too. The main risk is an extended power outage that would croak my 10X more expensive smoke alarm batteries before their time!

And heck no I'm not going to change them every year. They'll beep when they're toasted, probably in the middle of the night, and it will annoy my beloved, and I'll have to run around with a step ladder at 2 AM switching batteries while the dog stares at me like I'm a loon...

Frank

I thought the dog always looked at you like that.

GTS225 06-16-2021 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PigButtons (Post 12363825)
Why is it that smoke alarm batteries only go out in the middle of the night?
Happened to me at 2:00 am last night.

That's like asking why the one just outside the bathroom door goes off after taking a shower, when you open the door.

They're engineered to do that, just to p*$$ you off. It's a game that the makers of them play for entertainment.

Roger

LtCrunch 06-16-2021 03:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by aztarget (Post 12363947)
I thought the dog always looked at you like that.

Poor old Stanley has had trust issues with me ever since I paid that guy to lop off his jewels Az. I can kind of understand that.

You just can't trust a guy named Frank :D

aztarget 06-16-2021 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LtCrunch (Post 12363981)
Poor old Stanley has had trust issues with me ever since I paid that guy to lop off his jewels Az. I can kind of understand that.

You just can't trust a guy named Frank :D

Is this your shirt?
https://i.imgur.com/cXwPhmw.jpg

'ol shooter 06-16-2021 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whiplash (Post 12363901)
So batteries than have 10 and 6 year lives are to be changed every year? What additional risk would there be in going to 5 and 3 years?

The batteries have a ten and six year shelf life, not an in use life which can be very different depending on application. It's your life, is it worth a new battery?

PigButtons 06-16-2021 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LtCrunch (Post 12363927)

Frank

Anything I can do to to help another RFC member, Especially one with your credentials.

PigButtons 06-16-2021 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'ol shooter (Post 12363841)

No offense intended, truly, but I hate daylight savings time and disavow any and all thing having to do with it. The only reason I can appreciate DST is for Alaska so they can save it up for the Winter when they have none.

'ol shooter 06-16-2021 09:50 PM

Sounds like a great reason to not change a battery. :rolleyes:

LtCrunch 06-17-2021 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aztarget (Post 12363989)
Is this your shirt?

Frank, if word goes out that weirdos are all getting neutered you know we're both going to be singing alto in the boy's choir right? :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by PigButtons (Post 12364225)
Anything I can do to to help another RFC member, Especially one with your credentials.

Those of us who can't be good examples simply have to serve as horrible warnings friend ;)

Thanks for your service as a fireman!

Frank

gmd1950 06-17-2021 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LtCrunch (Post 12364593)
Frank, if word goes out that weirdos are all getting neutered you know we're both going to be singing alto in the boy's choir right? :D

Those of us who can't be good examples simply have to serve as horrible warnings friend ;)

Thanks for your service as a fireman!

Frank

My Sister used to say I made a good Bad Example for her Sons...:D

Arrowhead 06-17-2021 08:49 AM

My alarm system tells me when any of my devises have a low battery. Of course it is usually in the middle of the night and I have to crawl out of bed.

I love daylight saving time and wish the whole country would go on it and stay there.