RimfireCentral.com Forums

RimfireCentral.com Forums (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Offhand Handgun Match (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=503)
-   -   Offhand Handgun Matches Scores and Discussion (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1215419)

Gwelo 03-25-2021 06:20 PM

Welcome to the matches and good shooting zukiphile!

Interesting scope, is it extended eye relief? What reticle? I would like to try 1.5 power with a thin reticle and 2 moa dot but finding scopes in that config is difficult. Tried a 2x red dot but parallax was totally disconcerting as was my wobble zone. The white center target would be mandatory with a scope reticle with dot I would think.

zukiphile 03-25-2021 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gwelo (Post 12261565)
Welcome to the matches and good shooting zukiphile!

Interesting scope, is it extended eye relief? What reticle? I would like to try 1.5 power with a thin reticle and 2 moa dot but finding scopes in that config is difficult. Tried a 2x red dot but parallax was totally disconcerting as was my wobble zone. The white center target would be mandatory with a scope reticle with dot I would think.

Thank you. It's a thin duplex and has very extended eye relief. It would be great for a single handed bullseye posture. The wobble was awful.

I bought this out of a gun show odds+ends box 20 years ago. I think I really hate it.

Ynned 03-25-2021 08:05 PM

Dang you guys are good.

Emagcon 03-26-2021 01:12 PM

15 yd match

3-26-21
203-2x
Ed Magnusen. 75
Tucson
High Standard Military 106
Iron sights
Eley Club
41-0, 41-0, 41-1x, 38-0, 42-1

Sunny, calm, warm. Shooting next to Guelo. He was showing off at the 25 yd. line.
Dropping one round into white on four bulls. Lucked out and kept them in the black on last Bull.

RichJ 03-26-2021 06:19 PM

——10 yard iron sights——-
3-7-21
RichJ 72
Mk II
213. 1X
41, 46, 38, 47 1X, 41

I switched from the GP100 to the Mk II, sadly the GP just isn’t as accurate as I was hoping it to be ;-(
Shooting at an ace of spades playing card at 7 yards I can keep all 10 rounds on the card ( 2 not in the spade ) with the Mk II. With the GP only hit the card 4 times.

Rich

Signmaster 03-27-2021 01:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
***10-Yd IRONS ENTRY***

DATE: 3/26/21
SCORE: 216/2X
NAME: Signmaster
GUN: Ruger Mark II
GUN SETUP: Stock irons
AMMO: Federal bulk 36gr CPHP
INDIV TGTS SCORES: 47 1X, 43, 44, 38, 44 1X

NOTES: shot POA/POI since it is essentially the same sight settings as my 6 o'clock hold at 15 yards. Might have lost the better sight picture of the lower hold. Kind of erratic today, as I killed it on a smaller target with the first 10 rounds, then moved around some on other practice targets before I shot for score.

Did the same for score targets... 1st was a 47 1 X, then went down to a 38 on the fourth target.

But a score is a score.... :eek:

Glad to see so many scores rolling in. And I think we are going to have to give Gwelo a handicap or something.... he is killing it in here!

Also a great pair of scores at 25 yards from Zukiphile IMHO. Things start getting tough as you add the distance, and both those scores are solid.

Signmaster 03-27-2021 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzsax8 (Post 12260451)
***25-YD Scoped ENTRY***

3/25/2021 please update my best score from yesterday. Shot a 196 2X using the Mark II/III lite barrel w/dot sight full details to follow if this is my best for the month. Details about the same as posted below except I switched to CCI S.V.

DATE: 3/24/2021
SCORE: 169 1X
NAME: Marshall AGE: 72
GUN: Browning Belgium Challenger
GUN SETUP: _X__Scope __Iron sights (Sightron SRS 2moa)
AMMO: Aguila S.V. Eley primed
INDIV TGTS SCORES: 27, 40, 33 1X, 30 & 39
NOTES, WEATHER: 42deg 8mph wind at 2:30 partly cloudy

Also shot a test target with my super lightweight Ruger Mark II/Mark III 4 1/2" lite barrel also with micro-dot. Shot a 175 0X but does not count as I was frugal using a previous target and taped up the holes with scotch tape. Since the Browning has better grips and weight I just assumed this lite Ruger would not come close! I need to play with this one next time.

That Browning is a really unique looking rig. It almost looks like all grip and hardly any barrel. What is the barrel length on that one?

Either way, it sounds like between that and the Rugers, things are looking good at 25 yards. :bthumb:

zukiphile 03-27-2021 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Signmaster (Post 12263275)
Things start getting tough as you add the distance, and both those scores are solid.

Thanks. The whole "trick" in it is to just not completely miss the scoring rings on any shot. It's the zeroes that kill the score. So long as it is on the target, the shot placement has a nearly random quality.

I was aiming to put each shot within the 9 ring. Maybe that was a mistake. If an "aim small, miss small" approach detracts from the basic focus on just hitting the target, it may increase group size.

In the Offhand Rifle section, we have something called the "mighty tug". It reliably appears when you've put up a string of good shots, and you think you've solved the problem of how to shoot accurately. As you press the trigger for the triumph of your next X ring shot, your support arm jerks the rifle out into the seven ring as the shot breaks. I have the pistol version of the mighty tug.

jazzsax8 03-27-2021 07:23 AM

The Browning

Quote:

Originally Posted by Signmaster (Post 12263277)
That Browning is a really unique looking rig. It almost looks like all grip and hardly any barrel. What is the barrel length on that one?

Either way, it sounds like between that and the Rugers, things are looking good at 25 yards. :bthumb:

The barrel is the stock 4 1/2" and I lucked out years ago from forum member Deconblu who made this unique clamp on scope mount. It is a solid rig that shoots some tight groups off sandbags. While the trigger is light just below 2#'s it has some very smooth creep that the Ruger does not have. Not sure who made the grip but getting excited about this new competition, I took the dremel to it to attempt to get my short fat fingers closer to the trigger. I am still not there only reaching the right side of the trigger. While it feels solid, I am still beating it with the Ruger w/lite barrel. I also have the original 6 7/8" Slabside barrel for it that I need to try next as its a much heavier rig that might be more stable.

Mike3838 03-27-2021 12:05 PM

Going to the range tonight, just to clarify, we can hold the pistol with two hands, just no other means of support anywhere, including any part of the body. Correct? Reason I ask, last months match I used a one hand hold.

Signmaster 03-27-2021 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike3838 (Post 12263715)
Going to the range tonight, just to clarify, we can hold the pistol with two hands, just no other means of support anywhere, including any part of the body. Correct? Reason I ask, last months match I used a one hand hold.

Two hands.... not that you need them based on last months score! :bthumb::bthumb:

Ynned 03-28-2021 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike3838 (Post 12263715)

Yes. I edited the rules for clarity last month when you brought this up:

Quote:

++"SHOOTING POSITION" NOTES:
++Standing offhand means: Handgun held in either one or both hands, fully supported by your body only. Body in natural free-standing position. No rests of any kind. Gloves Allowed. Jackets Allowed.
If you can figure out how to use any other part of your body while standing, feel free to do it. Maybe the crook of your elbow, but I can't see it being helpful.
Later,
Dennis

Mike3838 03-28-2021 01:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Dug out my old Ruger MkII-22/45 for this months match. Haven't shot it in 10 years, now I remember why. :( Best target attached.

***10-Yd IRONS***

DATE: 3/28/2021
SCORE: 230-4x
NAME: Mike3838 AGE: 61
GUN: Ruger 22/45
GUN SETUP: ___Scope __x_Iron sights
AMMO: Fiocchi SV
INDIV TGTS SCORES: 45-0 47-0 47-1 45-1 46-2

Mike3838 03-28-2021 01:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
***15-Yd IRONS***

DATE: 3/28/2021
SCORE:213-3x
NAME: Mike3838 AGE: 61
GUN: Ruger 22/45
GUN SETUP: ___Scope __x_Iron sights
AMMO: Fiocchi SV
INDIV TGTS SCORES: 44-1 43-1 43-0 44-1 39-0

Best target attached.

Signmaster 03-28-2021 02:17 PM

Mike3838,

If those are your bad targets, I'm anxious to see which ones you call good targets. That is still solid shooting if you ask me.

Rich J,

I think you hit a wrong button totaling up your score. If your individual target scores are correct, you gave yourself a chunk of points. It happens. I did it once and was so happy to have such a score... until realized looking at the targets that something was wrong. :eek:

If the individual scores are correct, still some good shooting IMO!