RimfireCentral.com Forums

RimfireCentral.com Forums (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Offhand Handgun Match (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=503)
-   -   Offhand Handgun Matches Scores and Discussion (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1215419)

Gwelo 03-04-2021 02:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just got a chance to shoot a target for this match. I can shoot in the National Forrest a few miles from my home. Built a target stand that I carry in my truck.

Shot at 10 Yards
DATE: 03/02/2021
SCORE: 241-10X
NAME: Gwelo (Nick) AGE: 75
LOCATION: AZ National Forrest
GUN: Colt Gold Cup Trophy with Nelson Custom .22 Conversion
GUN SETUP: UltraDot MatchDot
AMMO: Aguila Standard Velocity
INDIV TGTS SCORES: 49-2X, 46, 48-2X, 49-3X, 49-3X
2 Hand Hold, Unsupported

Gwelo 03-04-2021 02:55 PM

25 Yards
 
1 Attachment(s)
First time I've shot this ammo at 25 yards, darn stuff went right where I pointed it :o

Shot at 25 Yards
DATE: 03/02/2021
SCORE: 181-0X
NAME: Gwelo (Nick) AGE: 75
LOCATION: AZ National Forrest
GUN: Colt Gold Cup Trophy with Nelson Custom .22 Conversion
GUN SETUP: UltraDot MatchDot
AMMO: Aguila Standard Velocity
INDIV TGTS SCORES: 36, 31, 38, 37, 39
2 Hand Hold, Unsupported

Signmaster 03-04-2021 06:18 PM

That's some really good shooting Nick. And I really like your rig as well. But at 25 yards, we all start to suffer fairly quick with pistols.

Good to see another shooter posting a score already. :bthumb:

AzShooter 03-04-2021 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gwelo (Post 12237463)
First time I've shot this ammo at 25 yards, darn stuff went right where I pointed it :o

Shot at 25 Yards
DATE: 03/02/2021
SCORE: 181-0X
NAME: Gwelo (Nick) AGE: 75
LOCATION: AZ National Forrest
GUN: Colt Gold Cup Trophy with Nelson Custom .22 Conversion
GUN SETUP: UltraDot MatchDot
AMMO: Aguila Standard Velocity
INDIV TGTS SCORES: 36, 31, 38, 37, 39
2 Hand Hold, Unsupported

Awesome shooting, especially at 10 yards.

I'm happy to keep them all on target these days at 15. You did good my friend.

Arizona offers a lot of places to shoot. Good to see you found one.

Ynned 03-04-2021 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gwelo (Post 12237463)
First time I've shot this ammo at 25 yards, darn stuff went right where I pointed it :o

Shot at 25 Yards
DATE: 03/02/2021
SCORE: 181-0X
NAME: Gwelo (Nick) AGE: 75
LOCATION: AZ National Forrest
GUN: Colt Gold Cup Trophy with Nelson Custom .22 Conversion
GUN SETUP: UltraDot MatchDot
AMMO: Aguila Standard Velocity
INDIV TGTS SCORES: 36, 31, 38, 37, 39
2 Hand Hold, Unsupported

Egad! You shoot better at 25 Yds than I do at 10. Love the 1911, BTW.

Gwelo 03-04-2021 09:40 PM

Hey, thanks all! I’ll be going to Southeast Regional Park tomorrow, a nice range just outside Tucson. Be able to shoot at 15 yards and try again at 25. The A-23 target is ok at 10 and 15 but tough at 25 so will be a challenge. I normally shoot the B-16 which is the 25 yard “Official” NRA Slow Fire Pistol target and is a little more forgiving (hint, hint).
Nick :bthumb:

jsenick 03-05-2021 08:07 AM

Nice shooting Nick! I'm glad to see there is someone else out there that has a pistol with a red dot. Nice weapon.

Gwelo 03-05-2021 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsenick (Post 12238223)
Nice shooting Nick! I'm glad to see there is someone else out there that has a pistol with a red dot. Nice weapon.

Thanks jsenick! Most, if not all my pistols have a scope or dot on them. I do have a FWB 100 air pistol that still has the factory open sights. I can shoot it ok at 10M but not much further. Getting old isn't for sissies!

Gwelo 03-05-2021 02:36 PM

15 Yards
 
1 Attachment(s)
Out at SE Regional Park in Tucson this morning. A little breezy but sunny and 50*. Beautiful day!

Shot at 15 Yards
DATE: 03/05/2021
SCORE: 220-4X
NAME: Gwelo (Nick) AGE: 75
LOCATION: SERP
GUN: Colt Gold Cup Trophy with Nelson Custom .22 Conversion
GUN SETUP: UltraDot MatchDot
AMMO: CCI-Std Velocity
INDIV TGTS SCORES: 42-1X, 44, 48-1X, 45-2X. 41
2 Hand Hold, Unsupported

Gwelo 03-05-2021 02:45 PM

25 Yds
 
1 Attachment(s)
Bettered my previous 25 yd score a little bit. Tried the S&W Model 41 this time with CCI-SV. Trigger not quite as good as the Colt but did better anyway. Maybe the ammo?? Ha! Target #4 :eek:

Shot at 25 Yards
DATE: 03/05/2021
SCORE: 191-1X
NAME: Gwelo (Nick) AGE: 75
LOCATION: SERP
GUN: Smith & Wesson Model 41
GUN SETUP: Millett Red Dot
AMMO: CCI-Std Velocity
INDIV TGTS SCORES: 40, 38, 40, 44-1X, 29
2 Hand Hold, Unsupported

jazzsax8 03-07-2021 11:21 PM

yes
 
Thanks to Signmaster posting on the Ruger Mark II forum I visit. I am very excited about trying this out. Have been shooting just over 50 years and have never been to an organized shoot so this section of the forum gives me new purpose. I tried the 25 yards open sights a few days ago and scored 125 0X so there is much room for improvement. I normally use a sight picture at the bottom of the bullseye but used a center hold for this test as that is where the pistol was sighted in and it looked quite a bit different. Should I go ahead and raise the sights to get back to the bottom hold like I am used to? Since there is a couple of inches from the bottom to center of target I would think there might be extra error left or right if you are not perfectly vertical in your hold from shot to shot.

Just read all the pages on this forum and had an idea. In talking about multiple posts at the same distance for practice or record for the month, since we can edit our posts, you could almost put all of your efforts in the one post for that distance keeping your best info for the month on the top of your post. If I were shooting 25 yards only with open sight and red dot that would give me two separate posts for the month. Just an idea.

Ynned 03-08-2021 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzsax8 (Post 12241355)
Thanks to Signmaster posting on the Ruger Mark II forum I visit. I am very excited about trying this out. Have been shooting just over 50 years and have never been to an organized shoot so this section of the forum gives me new purpose. I tried the 25 yards open sights a few days ago and scored 125 0X so there is much room for improvement. I normally use a sight picture at the bottom of the bullseye but used a center hold for this test as that is where the pistol was sighted in and it looked quite a bit different. Should I go ahead and raise the sights to get back to the bottom hold like I am used to? Since there is a couple of inches from the bottom to center of target I would think there might be extra error left or right if you are not perfectly vertical in your hold from shot to shot.

Just read all the pages on this forum and had an idea. In talking about multiple posts at the same distance for practice or record for the month, since we can edit our posts, you could almost put all of your efforts in the one post for that distance keeping your best info for the month on the top of your post. If I were shooting 25 yards only with open sight and red dot that would give me two separate posts for the month. Just an idea.

Jazz,
I had to ponder this a while, and while I appreciate your suggestion, I think it'll keep my job easier (something I value highly) to keep each entry in it's own post.
The post numbers are about all I can use to keep track, and if you keep editing the same post, I'll have to keep going back to it to see the latest score you've posted. If you make a new post, all I have to do is check whether I've entered that post.
The main thing from my point of view is knowing that a post is an entry (using the prescribed format is very helpful for that) and once I enter that post number, I'm done with it.
Thanks for your interest, though.
Later,
Dennis

Ynned 03-08-2021 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gwelo (Post 12237887)
Hey, thanks all! I’ll be going to Southeast Regional Park tomorrow, a nice range just outside Tucson. Be able to shoot at 15 yards and try again at 25. The A-23 target is ok at 10 and 15 but tough at 25 so will be a challenge. I normally shoot the B-16 which is the 25 yard “Official” NRA Slow Fire Pistol target and is a little more forgiving (hint, hint).
Nick :bthumb:

Gwelo,
You're not the only one to have made this suggestion. I really don't care if the general consensus is to go with the bigger target for the 25 yd distance, but I don't want to set up and keep track of another whole match or two. If you all decide to go that route, I can add that to the rules, and add a link for buying the targets, but realize there is already one or two scores in February and a couple or more in March that used the A-23 target, so it won't be very well correlated.

I personally haven't tried the 25 yd distance, because I doubt I can even hit the paper very often, so it doesn't matter to me except that we've already got started with the smaller target, but I'll go however the majority wants, as long as it doesn't get too confusing.
Thanks,
Dennis

Signmaster 03-08-2021 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzsax8 (Post 12241355)
Thanks to Signmaster posting on the Ruger Mark II forum I visit. I am very excited about trying this out. Have been shooting just over 50 years and have never been to an organized shoot so this section of the forum gives me new purpose. I tried the 25 yards open sights a few days ago and scored 125 0X so there is much room for improvement. I normally use a sight picture at the bottom of the bullseye but used a center hold for this test as that is where the pistol was sighted in and it looked quite a bit different. Should I go ahead and raise the sights to get back to the bottom hold like I am used to? Since there is a couple of inches from the bottom to center of target I would think there might be extra error left or right if you are not perfectly vertical in your hold from shot to shot.

Just read all the pages on this forum and had an idea. In talking about multiple posts at the same distance for practice or record for the month, since we can edit our posts, you could almost put all of your efforts in the one post for that distance keeping your best info for the month on the top of your post. If I were shooting 25 yards only with open sight and red dot that would give me two separate posts for the month. Just an idea.

For sight picture, I generally like to stay at a 6 o'clock hold for any precision shooting. The reason being, the bottom of that circle is more well defined than the center of that black. The error left or right should be the same if you get off center, but with the 6 o'clock hold the lowest point of the black bull is the center as well.

I actually prefer targets with more contrast, since my iron sights are black. But for these matches I just use the standard targets. At times I'll shoot point of aim sight picture, but often with high contrast reactive targets that have a red center point on the bull.

If you keep notes and data, after changing distances a few times you should have your DOPE and be able to adjust to whatever distance you intend to shoot.

Ynned 03-09-2021 03:39 PM

Guys,
It has come to my attention that I didn't clarify the term "off hand" well enough in the rules, and some people have taken it to mean one hand hold so I'm going to rectify that by editing them. I thought I'd make a post here as well, since it may garner more attention.
This was mentioned in this thread (post #56 & 57) when we were discussing setting up this match, but I didn't make it clear enough in the rules, so I'm going to add something to the effect of "one or both hands".
Thanks,
Dennis


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:52 AM.

DMCA Notice

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©2000-2018 RimfireCentral.com