RimfireCentral.com Forums

RimfireCentral.com Forums (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   RFC Community Forum (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   British Shooting Corner (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1220057)

88IROC 04-03-2021 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flynmoose (Post 12267977)
I have a friend in Shropshire that has visited a few times. He had never fired a rifle or pistol, only shotguns and pellet guns. The pellet gun experience was obviously a good thing, he is a good shot. The first visit was brief, just enough time to shoot my 45-70 rolling block and S&W 9MM pistol. In later visits he has shot everything from 22lr to 45-70s and enjoyed himself. Since the OP mentioned colonization, I have a theory as to why the British searched the ends of the earth... they were looking for something good to eat.
FM

I always thought it was because they were seeking sunshine and warm weather.

RogerKipwell 04-03-2021 06:34 PM

My only attachment to UK shooting is that I imported a Colt GM from England to keep it from being turned into scrap.

Discontinued 04-08-2021 05:04 AM

Yes we do have some questionable cuisines, black pudding (blood clot suasage) yuk and jellied eels eeew. (canned eels in jelly) revolting not only to look at but the taste, don't even go there.

This does explain why Curry is the national dish of the UK

Also most brits have owned or had a friend who has a pellet gun/air rifle.

Most of my countrymen are too intimated to join a gun club as they believe you need to jump through many hoops to get a firearm's certificate.

Therefore UK shooting guys tend to own quite high end air guns, and as a result the quality has always been quite high when compared to other countries air guns.

Owning air guns until I moved over to firearms some 20 years ago helped me immensely as I knew how to aim, hold over.

its a shame your friend from Shropshire didnt try to join a local club and get into shooting over here.

i too have fired some quite exotic rifles.

A Schmidt Rubin straight pull that was staggeringly accurate. 3 band Enfield muzzle loader a 2mm pinfire and a reproduction medieval pot cannon, we shot clays with it, i managed to get a crossing pair with one shot!

most bizarrely of all a Teddy bear cannon that fired "human cannonball" teddy bears. This was built for a close friend as a commission, he is a reenactor and also does charity shooting events and corporate days

You will like this, he had to get the cannon proofed by the LNP London proof house but for teddy bears, the proof house guys came along to inspect the cannon and he had to provide a sample of teddy bears with the black powder for them to "proof test his teddy gun"

Apparently the proof load sent the poor teddy flying into some very distant trees where he promptly caught fire. It turns out the proof house guys forgot to use the "Teddy Sabot" which was a leg cut from an old pair of denim jeans.

Unsurprisingly teddy bears are quite a low pressure round and that cannon sailed through the proof test.

You couldn't make it up, what do they say the truth is stranger than fiction.

Flynmoose 04-08-2021 02:14 PM

I hope that I didn't offend anyone with my attempt at humor. A former member of the Black Watch opened a pub in Salem, Oregon years ago. I loved "bangers on a bun" and understand why the UK almost went to war over Icelandic cod, wonderful stuff. He also imported Watneys Red Barrel Beer, I hated to move. He had a Beardmore London Taxi that I managed to keep running for him. It ran OK but I had to make bushings for most of the linkages. I was amazed to find out that it had a million miles on it.
FM

Al the Infidel 04-08-2021 03:08 PM

[QUOTE=Discontinued;12276247]
most bizarrely of all a Teddy bear cannon that fired "human cannonball" teddy bears. This was built for a close friend as a commission, he is a reenactor

What does he re-enacted? Does he come over here and be one of the bad guys on our 4th of July celebrations? :p

LtCrunch 04-08-2021 03:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
We have a cannon that shoots Coors Light beer cans filled with cement about 500 yards on a 2 ounce charge of FF black powder. Not particularly accurate but the chest thumping report and cloud of smoke is quite satisfying!

Stuffed Teddy Bears...pphhttt, child's play :D

Frank

Cattleman30 04-08-2021 05:51 PM

151 Attachment(s)
Like the LT, not sure about our British friends with teddy bear cannon rounds. Many American households prefer to cast their own projectiles. like these 2.25” cannon projectiles.
Attachment 252287

Sizing die in the background. Used in a rifled tube with 90 grams of cannon grade. Shoots 12 moa, all day long, if the crew does their part.😉

Shenandoah 04-08-2021 07:08 PM

Shoots 12 moa, all day long, if the crew does their part.😉

Okay, that made me laugh. :bthumb:

Vee3 04-08-2021 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cattleman30 (Post 12276945)
Like the LT, not sure about our British friends with teddy bear cannon rounds. Many American households prefer to cast their own projectiles. like these 2.25” cannon projectiles.
Attachment 252287

Sizing die in the background. Used in a rifled tube with 90 grams of cannon grade. Shoots 12 moa, all day long, if the crew does their part.😉

So ~3oz of BP gets those out the end of a rifled bore? Isn't that charge a bit on the light side? What kind of velocity do you get?

sulfur-n-steel 04-08-2021 08:10 PM

That video of the 22 shotgun was interesting.

Questions though, what the heck is a 'shotgun license'?

Also, that 22 shotgun is basically a parlor/flobert gun. Can you buy floberts legally in the UK and shoot them?

:bthumb:

Cattleman30 04-08-2021 08:38 PM

152 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vee3 (Post 12277095)
So ~3oz of BP gets those out the end of a rifled bore? Isn't that charge a bit on the light side? What kind of velocity do you get?

90 grams is somewhat on the heavy side using NSSA loading recommendations. The pellet weighs 41 oz’s. Carriage recoil is about one carriage length which is a good measure.

Not sure as to velocity. The Minnie style requires a taller front sight and shoots like a laser compared to the pellet.

Rifled guns are shot at 200 yds at Fort Shenandoah. The 1862 CSA 2.25” mtn rifle has 3 grove “sawtooth” rifling that looks a lot like a Shilen Ratchet.

Attachment 252303

Al the Infidel 04-08-2021 10:14 PM

Twist rate?

Vee3 04-09-2021 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cattleman30 (Post 12277145)
90 grams is somewhat on the heavy side using NSSA loading recommendations. The pellet weighs 41 oz’s. Carriage recoil is about one carriage length which is a good measure.

Not sure as to velocity. The Minnie style requires a taller front sight and shoots like a laser compared to the pellet.

Rifled guns are shot at 200 yds at Fort Shenandoah. The 1862 CSA 2.25” mtn rifle has 3 grove “sawtooth” rifling that looks a lot like a Shilen Ratchet.

Attachment 252303

Ok, I see. I was discombobulated by the picture; them boolets looked a lot bigger than 2.25. ;)

rockdrill 04-09-2021 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cattleman30 (Post 12276945)
Like the LT, not sure about our British friends with teddy bear cannon rounds.

The 'teddy bear' cannon is an oddity.

There are cannon enthusiasts over here and their gear is more traditional, having a safe location to shoot live rounds is more problematic as we are a smaller and quite densely populated country.

There is some interest in smaller calibre cannons that can be shot on ranges though.

rockdrill 04-09-2021 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flynmoose (Post 12276691)
I hope that I didn't offend anyone with my attempt at humor.

None taken. :t

After all the USA spawned the 'Twinky' which has absolutely nothing to do with 'something good to eat'. :eek::D