RimfireCentral.com Forums

RimfireCentral.com Forums (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   SuperSport Heavy (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=308)
-   -   Dumb idea? (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=836730)

azjeff 01-11-2017 08:40 PM

Dumb idea?
 
Since I picked up the '96 10/22 and decided to build a heavy I've been looking at barrels and stocks, and working on the trigger group and bolt. Having access to a high precision machine shop at work and machinists who like to tinker there's no need to send anything out. Today I got the idea to make this an all-Ruger build. Obviously the barrel is the big question mark so I ask, is it a waste of time putting any work into a Ruger Target barrel? If there's potential there to shoot MOA with the usual re-chamber/crown etc. it's an interesting thought. If they just won't shoot I'll keep thinking. Not interested in rolling the dice on that 1 in 100 barrel that shoots if that's how it is.


TIA for the input.

Que 01-11-2017 09:02 PM

mod the factory target barrel and have a shooter. they are certainly worth it to me.




azjeff 01-11-2017 09:28 PM

Well there's an opinion that carries some weight. So you think a worked Ruger target barrel *should* shoot with say a GM bull or heavy taper? Thanks for checking in!

Wouldn't happen to have one laying around the shop gathering dust?:p

Nick7274 01-11-2017 10:08 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I just bought a Ruger 10/22 VLEH. It shoots sub moa all day with the Ruger factory bull. I did install a Kidd complete bolt with charging handle, Kidd single stage trigger, auto bolt release, and buffer. I was all ready to buy a Fedderson bb, but my first trip to the range with the factory barrel at 50 yds I shot a 30 rnd group off the bench ( using only a bipod) that I could completely cover with a quarter. That was with cheap Winchester bulk ammo. So the stock Ruger barrel definitely has potential.

Nick7274 01-11-2017 10:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Not bad

azjeff 01-12-2017 09:41 AM

That looks promising, would like to see some 5 shot groups measured.

Does Ruger use a different chamber for the target and LVT barrels?

Nick7274 01-12-2017 11:22 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I honestly don't know. But it is definitely more accurate than any of my Ruger factory taper barrels when they were new. Most of those barrels have been replaced.

crackedcornish 01-12-2017 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azjeff (Post 7917818)
Since I picked up the '96 10/22 and decided to build a heavy I've been looking at barrels and stocks, and working on the trigger group and bolt. Having access to a high precision machine shop at work and machinists who like to tinker there's no need to send anything out. Today I got the idea to make this an all-Ruger build. Obviously the barrel is the big question mark so I ask, is it a waste of time putting any work into a Ruger Target barrel? If there's potential there to shoot MOA with the usual re-chamber/crown etc. it's an interesting thought. If they just won't shoot I'll keep thinking. Not interested in rolling the dice on that 1 in 100 barrel that shoots if that's how it is.


TIA for the input.

[email protected] doesn't think it's a dumb idea at all
http://www.ct-precision.com/images/1022_rifle.jpg

SailDesign 01-12-2017 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick7274 (Post 7921946)
I honestly don't know. But it is definitely more accurate than any of my Ruger factory taper barrels when they were new. Most of those barrels have been replaced.

My VLEH shoots amazingly (and has the "crooked" receiver just for fun!)

This is a 0.7 MOA target, 50 yards, outdoors, VERY little wind. :)

http://theliberalgunclubinc.memberlo...22%2050yds.jpg

Nick7274 01-12-2017 04:19 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Like I said they definitely have potential. Nice shooting.

SailDesign 01-12-2017 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick7274 (Post 7923906)
Like I said they definitely have potential. Nice shooting.

Thanks! You, too. :)

azjeff 01-13-2017 10:22 AM

The Ruger 20" target barrel is $99 for the blued and $119 for the stainless from Ruger. There must be some reason guys spend $75 more for Green Mountain, Feddersen, etc? If you have to have the barrel tuned to shoot with these other brands then that explains it, puts the combined price in KIDD territory. Not bargain building and not afraid of buy once/cry once just checking all possibilities. I like different.

Nick7274 01-13-2017 11:22 AM

2 Attachment(s)
The reason people spend more $ on aftermarket barrels is because they are, for the most part, more accurate. This is because aftermarket barrels have tighter tolerances, but this also usually makes them a little less reliable. But if you take a factory Ruger barrel and have it recrowned and chambered properly you are essentially getting the same thing that the aftermarket barrel companies offer.

azjeff 01-14-2017 04:09 PM

Nick, I got the impression you were thinking the factory barrel was shooting pretty darn good with that target and all, but I see in the barrels forum you're getting a Feddersen. Apparently not good enough? No thoughts of having CPC work it over?

Maybe the fact that nobody around here seems to be doing this tells me what I need to know.

buckweet 01-14-2017 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick7274 (Post 7929434)
The reason people spend more $ on aftermarket barrels is because they are, for the most part, more accurate. This is because aftermarket barrels have tighter tolerances, but this also usually makes them a little less reliable. But if you take a factory Ruger barrel and have it recrowned and chambered properly you are essentially getting the same thing that the aftermarket barrel companies offer.



This +1
I've had Randy @ CPC, rework a few factory carbine barrels.
Rechambered and recrowned.
Excellent shooter's.
They're very good barrels if you ask me.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:53 PM.

DMCA Notice

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2000-2018 RimfireCentral.com