RimfireCentral.com Forums

RimfireCentral.com Forums (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   SuperStock (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   Ricochet Is Gone (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306429)

Vincent 11-06-2009 02:20 PM

Ricochet Is Gone

But he will never be forgotten. This is very hard for me. My eyes have been filled with tears every time I try to start this. Please hang in there with me as this is very hard an I may make some typos but I am trying very hard not to. He would really laugh at that as he has always teased me about my awful typos.

Although known here as Ricochet (a very good name for a guy that bounced around like he did:)) his real name was Doug Freitas, actually "Douglas" as he was very proud of the fact that he was named for Gen. Douglas MacArthur. Doug was born in Hawaii but as long as I have known him he has lived in his trailer "on da Rez in Montanny" as he put it. How did a crazy Hawaiian end up on "Da Rez"? I have absolutely no idea! I have been meaning to ask him for years and we did touch on it years ago but I truly do not know. Doug served his country in the Army and although he never talked about it I believe that was where he received his "bum arm" as he called his bad arm. He was a martial artist in his youth and from our conversations I believe a very good one.

Doug PM'd me last Sunday night and ask that I not respond to the PM. I did not see that part because the rest shocked me so badly. He titled the PM something like "Time's Short" and went on to tell me he had only days left to live. I wrote back asking if he was seeing a doctor and were they doing everything they could and all the normal things you would say to a friend that says he is dying. He wrote back that nothing could be done. He left me a phone number of his best friend in "Montanny" and told me if I did not hear from him for a few days to contact that friend.

Over the next two days I could tell from his posts he was not really himself. Tuesday he sent me another PM saying time was near and not to respond. Tuesday night very late I wrote him a letter to let him know how important he was to me. His last post was 10:38 PM Central time on Wed. On Thursday I went down South to see my friend 40calcritter and hang out in his shop. Because of this I did not see RFC all day. When I got in I saw he had not posted and I was pretty sure things were not good.

Last night I made the call........maybe too soon but I knew something was wrong. His friend had found him Thurs morning. When I called Thursday night he was very shaken. They were very close:(:( When I asked what it was that got Doug he said "depression". It hit me then that was why Doug knew how close he was. He took his own life.............:(:(:(

I do not know the details and even if and when I do they will NEVER be posted here. Ricochet deserves better than that. We shared too much crazy times and much laughter to dwell on an unimportant detail and I will not allow such speculation in the SuperStock Forum.

This thread is to remember all the good times Ricohet gave us. Time to remember him struggling to make the 1/4" Club and then going on to shoot better than any of us. Time to remember a whole corner on his room FULL of empty ammo boxes:D He is the only guy I ever knew that wall papered his living room in old targets!!

That is the Ricochet we are here to remember:):):bthumb:

Although he always gave me credit for the SuperStock Forum Idea and I did name it and pushed hard to get a forum for this kind of rifle it was Ricochet that was the heart and soul of SuperStock. He was the cheerleader and had more posts here than anyone else did. I long ago lost count of how many rifles he built and if you through in the switching and swapping it was truly endless. It will be hard to continue without him and this place will never be the same that is just what we will do.

We will never forget our friend the crazy Hawaiian from "da Rez in Motanny"

Come here to smile with me in his memory.

Komitadjie 11-06-2009 02:24 PM

So long, Rico. You'll be missed, man. Place just won't be the same without you.

Tonight I'll be raising a glass to one of the best shooters and coolest guys I've ever known.

Vincent 11-06-2009 02:34 PM

Doug would have been 64 this month.

marlin525 11-06-2009 02:35 PM

although i havent been here for long, Rico embodied the very best of what RFC is all about, and im sure he was a top bloke. so wherever you are Doug, i hope you find peace.

One "O" Bob 11-06-2009 02:35 PM

Lots of prayers.

I never really knew Rico, but in the short time I've been with this forum I've developed a lot of respect for him. He was a shooter/builder elite and I learned a lot from him. I am indeed greatfull for Ricochet and will miss him much.

ctgmi 11-06-2009 02:37 PM

Iím truly sorry to hear the news.

Vincent, it sounds like he had a true friend in you and Iím sure he appreciated it.

Chunckchucker 11-06-2009 02:40 PM

Wow, I just can't believe what I'm reading. Thanks Vincent for letting us know. It is truly an extremely sad day here.

Chuck

cnelson181 11-06-2009 02:43 PM

Vince,

I'm sitting here speechless, stunned, utterly..............I just don't know. I......

I almost want to throw up. I talk to Douglas atleast once every other day though pm's and we'd talk on the phone regularly.

He was truely wonderful human being. I just don't know...................

Things got so busy the last couple weeks, that I only have "talked" to him a couple of times. I should have been......... ??

RFC just lost is greatest contributor and one of the nicest people you would ever want to talk with.

I'm very sad.

Craig...

Vincent 11-06-2009 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnelson181 (Post 2629887)
Vince,

I'm sitting here speechless, stunned, utterly..............I just don't know. I......

I almost want to throw up. I talk to Douglas atleast once every other day though pm's and we'd talk on the phone regularly.

He was truely wonderful human being. I just don't know...................

Things got so busy the last couple weeks, that I only have "talked" to him a couple of times. I should have been......... ??

RFC just lost is greatest contributor and one of the nicest people you would ever want to talk with.

I'm very sad.
Craig...

I have been walking around in circles. This morning my computer finally just QUIT. It will not even start up so I did this on my wife's which I never use.

Maybe as a last joke he took my computer with him just to watch me go crazy.:D If so Doug, the last laugh was yours buddy.:bthumb:

tloehrke 11-06-2009 02:56 PM

Sorry

I am very sorry to hear of Rico's passing, he was one of the first people I met here. He will be missed.

Hardcase 11-06-2009 03:03 PM

God watch over you, Rico. We're going to miss you terribly.

Vince, thank you for sharing this with us. I know that it was a hard thing to do.

OldSwede 11-06-2009 03:05 PM

Truly, truly, we never really know the depth of each other's pain. I'm so sorry, Rico, that yours was so great that no life at all seemed better than the one you had. I hope you rest in a better place, today, and are finally at peace.
OS

1ShotKill 11-06-2009 03:12 PM

Wow

I don't know what to say..... shocked and very upset! Just didn't see this coming .... a GREAT person, loved to read his posts... he just seemed so likable. He will be missed by all.
Rest In Peace Brother

Topper12 11-06-2009 03:14 PM

What a loss!!

I didn't know him only from his posts and his response to some pms.He would always make time to answer if he could.I looked forward to reading his posts and would check those first.For those who were close to him I wish you all the best in dealing with tragic event. Don

alramr 11-06-2009 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldSwede (Post 2629914)
Truly, truly, we never really know the depth of each other's pain. I'm so sorry, Rico, that yours was so great that no life at all seemed better than the one you had. I hope you rest in a better place, today, and are finally at peace.
OS

Well said - OS. His pain and suffering is over; however, the pain and suffering of his family and friends has began and I offer my sincere condolences. He left a legacy on this site. I read his posts and responses and he was sensible and knowledgeable.