RimfireCentral.com Forums

RimfireCentral.com Forums (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   .17HM2 (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=131)
-   -   17M2 decision made! (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1162697)

Meauxjeaux77 06-02-2019 08:37 PM

17M2 decision made!

Iím gonna rattle so cages but I have come to conclusion,the 17 M2 is off of my wish list... firm decision... for quite some time I had the hots for 17 M2 .. read lots of threads on the subject ...but for the last week or so I pulled out my Marlin 17HMR
To shoot 30-40 rounds (CCI Balistic tip) I had forgotten how laser like this rifle is .
Iím convinced a squirrels head will not know the difference between to 2 different rounds .. either round will damage meat if shot placement is off . Iím sure the M2 is a great round not as loud as the HMR ...but I donít feel the cost or ammo search is worth it....therefore yíall have 1 less M2nut to deal with...

917M2Sfan 06-02-2019 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meauxjeaux77 (Post 11501479)
Iím gonna rattle so cages but I have come to conclusion,the 17 M2 is off of my wish list... firm decision... for quite some time I had the hots for 17 M2 .. read lots of threads on the subject ...but for the last week or so I pulled out my Marlin 17HMR
To shoot 30-40 rounds (CCI Balistic tip) I had forgotten how laser like this rifle is .
Iím convinced a squirrels head will not know the difference between to 2 different rounds .. either round will damage meat if shot placement is off . Iím sure the M2 is a great round not as loud as the HMR ...but I donít feel the cost or ammo search is worth it....therefore yíall have 1 less M2nut to deal with...

Good choice for you!

17HM2 ammo is almost always less expensive than 17HMR and although there are fewer brand/style options, ammo has been easy to find on-line for the past years or so via sites like www.ammoseek.com for folks who can plan ahead.

squirrel1 06-02-2019 10:34 PM

This means more hm2 ammo for me to shoot. Lol

I can confirm, squirrels shot with hm2 not as nasty vs ones shot with hmr. Goes for head shots and body shots.

Gut shot ones less likely to get away with hmr shot though.

I haven’t gut shot a single one yet with hm2 ( that I know of). Just basing this particular opinion on what I have seen with squirrels being shot with both cartridges.

I hate shooting a close range squirrel with the more expensive hmr. Primary reason I got away from hmr.

tbates66 06-02-2019 10:43 PM

Bad time to give up on the Mach2. CCI ammo on sale at Reed's for $5.99. Buy 2 bricks and shipping is free!! Not too late to change your mind:)

hispeedlead 06-03-2019 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbates66 (Post 11501569)
Bad time to give up on the Mach2. CCI ammo on sale at Reed's for $5.99. Buy 2 bricks and shipping is free!! Not too late to change your mind:)

Thanks for the tip, ordered several bricks.

Gmww 06-03-2019 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 917M2Sfan (Post 11501527)
Good choice for you!

17HM2 ammo is almost always less expensive than 17HMR and although there are fewer brand/style options, ammo has been easy to find on-line for the past years or so via sites like www.ammoseek.com for folks who can plan ahead.

At roughly $3.00 a box cheaper than 17hmr I'm with you. The only down side I've found so far is past 175 yards the ammo appears to tumble. At 175 I still get good accuracy. at 200 yards the rounds were all over the place. The ones that hit paper were sideways. I've been trying to get others to take grouping shots at 200 to see if this is happening with their weapons. So far I haven't seen anyone say they've tested out too.

Shooting with a 1:9 twist 17 cal barrel from Green Mountain. Had it chambered to 17 hm2.

squirrel1 06-03-2019 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gmww (Post 11501795)
At roughly $3.00 a box cheaper than 17hmr I'm with you. The only down side I've found so far is past 175 yards the ammo appears to tumble. At 175 I still get good accuracy. at 200 yards the rounds were all over the place. The ones that hit paper were sideways. I've been trying to get others to take grouping shots at 200 to see if this is happening with their weapons. So far I haven't seen anyone say they've tested out too.

Shooting with a 1:9 twist 17 cal barrel from Green Mountain. Had it chambered to 17 hm2.

I may try to take a few 200 yard shots on tight paper. And see what happens. I didn’t buy hm2 barrels to shoot 200 yards really. 125-150 yards yes. Have had good Lick shooting squirrels to 129-139 yards. And REAL good luck in the 125-127 yard range.

If I shoot a coyote at 200 with this hm2 he might think it’s coming a hail storm. Lol
This hm2 is a safer round around cattle shooting pests in pastures.

Wyocaddis 06-03-2019 10:48 PM

It seems the 17Hm2 is making a resurgence at least here :D We only hope manufactures will follow:eek:

mmpsteve 06-12-2019 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wyocaddis (Post 11502533)
It seems the 17Hm2 is making a resurgence at least here :D We only hope manufactures will follow:eek:

I still think CZ is missing the boat by not offering a M2 barrel for the 455 and 457. If they had done so, they'd have my $$ instead of someone else.

thesandman 06-12-2019 06:35 PM

It didn't take me long to figure out the 17hmr is too much for squirrels. I like to eat them and after ruining some with head shots that blew up the upper torso do to angle of shot, it was bye bye hmr, hello 22lr again. Then got my m2 American "Priceless".

Warner Will 06-12-2019 06:50 PM

What matters is you are happy with your choice

I made the choice for grey squirrels to go 17Mach2 over the HMR after hitting two greys in the shoulder at bout 25 yards.... both fell from the trees in two pieces, front and back halves separated cleanly. If someone had just told me and I hadn't witnessed it, I would have never believed it.
I switched to the Mach2 and never looked back. head shots are easy and it is precise enough for any shooting I do.
Love the little round...

m17hm2 06-16-2019 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thesandman (Post 11511603)
It didn't take me long to figure out the 17hmr is too much for squirrels. I like to eat them and after ruining some with head shots that blew up the upper torso do to angle of shot, it was bye bye hmr, hello 22lr again. Then got my m2 American "Priceless".

My experience, too. The HMR makes a wicked mess, even head shots. I'll hang squirrels on my belt as I go, and the blooding out of a hmr bushytail just make a mess, let alone all the meat damage. 17 Mach 2 is the perfect round, followed by 22lr, IMO.

squirrel1 06-16-2019 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m17hm2 (Post 11514897)
My experience, too. The HMR makes a wicked mess, even head shots. I'll hang squirrels on my belt as I go, and the blooding out of a hmr bushytail just make a mess, let alone all the meat damage. 17 Mach 2 is the perfect round, followed by 22lr, IMO.

Bingo.
I pack my squirrels on a stick.
Threaded through back leg.

HMR ain’t too bad if squirrel is way out there. But shoot one at 15-60 yards- Big mess. Actually overkill meaning the round cost more vs hm2.

Like the noise better with hm2 too vs hmr.

tfrank 06-16-2019 06:36 PM

My decision...

My decision had to be the 17 Mach 2, because I wouldn't even have considered chambering this old rifle to anything other than a 22 LR equivalent cartridge. Wasn't really interested in blowing up a rifle right next to my face if you know what I mean!!!:eek::rolleyes: Besides the 17 Mach 2 is just about the perfect tree squirrel round ever made. Well at least up to this point in time.:p And being a single shot kind of makes you pick your shots carefully. Of and did I mention virtually ricochet proof!!! Those little pills tend to blow up rather than bouncing off into the sunset. So many pluses and now that ammo is once again available... virtually no downside!!! Meauxjeaux77 I think you ought to reconsider!!! Oh and that is an 1894 Favorite if you were wondering!!!:)
https://i.imgur.com/V3ZEc3a.jpg
God Bless, Frank.

koonta 06-16-2019 08:03 PM

Yep, virtually ricochet proof. One of the main reasons I got my first one. If they would market that aspect I'd wager more mothers' sons [or daughters] would be getting them.