Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

25 & 50 Yd Offhand Rifle Matches – Post all match scores & discussion here !

535K views 7K replies 177 participants last post by  Bob4BVM 
#1 · (Edited)
Please see Match Rules STICKY in Offhand Rifle Match forum for latest updates to Match Rules, Procedure, target Scoring, etc.
Thanks,
Bob

#4 ·
Dave,
Thanks for asking. Slings are ok, if it helps you shoot better offhand, use it.
Rules have been modified, see above.

Who said this was going to be hard ? ;)

Bob

ps-If you want to use my printer target, PM me and I will email the pdf file to you.

#8 ·
Great, welcome guys !

Notice to All shooters in this match-
If you want to share your offhand progress scores, or maybe a personal-best target during the month, feel free to do so !
You can post targets or scores as often as you want during the month, but your monthly entry (or entries if you are shooting both scope & irons) will need to be identified by putting it in the ENTRY FORM format shown in Post#1.
Please reserve use of that Form for your actual match entry(s) for the month.
Thanks,
Bob

#10 ·
Been a lotta years since I did any serious off hand but I knew this would be fun. So after the first of Oct. went out to the range with the family to get back in the groove. Boy was that comical:eek:. Using a Remmy 540X w/o a palmrest or any of the other shooting equipment I used back in the day. Boy I was just happy to keep it on the paper!!:p But we'll get there and have loads of fun doing it.

#11 ·
That has been my experience exactly ! My first couple weeks it was "just keep it on the paper... then it was keep it in the right target on the paper, then...

After 6 months of on/off practice, it is beginning to take shape. I am now pretty happy if i can keep 10 shots in the black on the A23. Still doesnt happen every time, but it is beginning to click. Getting to the point where i can usually "feel" the shot, good or bad. Controlling the trigger vs. sight picture is still the big mind game for me though. But having a blast trying !

#12 ·
I'll start....

...the ball rolling.
Here is a target I shot with two rifles. Yes, I said two rifles. I know that isn't in the rules (probably a bad way to start a new match), but let me explain. I shoot SB Silhouette and sometimes use two different rifles for the SB and Hunting rifle match. This target replicates that experience and by switching in mid-target, I simulate having to adjust to different weights, balance points, triggers, etc....
This isn't intended to be an "entry", just a target to post.

The top two and sighter were shot with a CZ-452 (custom stocked and rebarreled with a Light Varmint Lilja, and the bottom two were shot with my 1712 Anschutz.

#14 · (Edited)
Wow, that IS some nice shooting Cowboy !
Thanks for showing us what is possible.
If i can manage 5 consecutive tgts in the 80's i'll be happy.

Guys, don't let Cowboy scare you off ! ;) !

Remember this match is more about personal improvement than competition.
You win every time you shoot a new personal-best target.
Save your targets, it's fun to watch what happens over a month or two.

Shoot often, have fun !

#16 ·
I spent a couple hours at the range today , so I thought I'd give the match a try. I shot my CZ Trainer in a Boyds Tacticool stock topped with a BSA 2-7x32 , set at 6x .

SCORE: 458
NAME: Kirby
GUN:CZ Trainer/Special in a Boyds Tacticool stok
GUN SETUP: _6x__Scope ___Iron sights ___Sling
AMMO: Aguila 40g. Subsonic
INDIV TGTS SCORES:93, 90, 89, 95, 91
NOTES, WEATHER, partly cloudy with occasional gusty

#17 ·
I spent a couple hours at the range today , so I thought I'd give the match a try. I shot my CZ Trainer in a Boyds Tacticool stock topped with a BSA 2-7x32 , set at 6x .

SCORE: 458
NAME: Kirby
GUN:CZ Trainer/Special in a Boyds Tacticool stok
GUN SETUP: _6x__Scope ___Iron sights ___Sling
AMMO: Aguila 40g. Subsonic
INDIV TGTS SCORES:93, 90, 89, 95, 91
NOTES, WEATHER, partly cloudy with occasional gusty
Nice shooting Kirby ! Is this your entry for October then ? Just thought i'd ask as the month is still young.

Guys, when you send your actual entry(s) please put the word "ENTRY" in title block when you post. Then i'll know to add to the list for the month.

Thanks,
Bob

#18 ·
Well, i can see i have to get backin shape. I think my last offhand was over amonth ago.
Shot 5 bulls tonite after work; 81, 78, 81, 86, 86 .
Amazing how this works, takes me a couple tgts to get the mind over matter thing going.
Totally fun tho ! Will keep at it if the rain holds off.
How're you guys doing, any more 'progress reports' ?

This was my scoped Glenfield running Peters 40gr LRN.

#26 · (Edited)
ENTRY FORM
SCORE:457-9x
NAME: talldrink
GUN:Henry H001
GUN SETUP: ___Scope _X__Iron sights ___Sling
AMMO:CCI SV
INDIV TGTS SCORES:89-1x, 96-4x, 89-2x, 92-1x, 91-1x

My second target felt good when shooting it but I didn't expect it to be as nice as it was.:D
Wow, nice shooting , and with the levergun yet ! Is that with the standard open sights ? Nice ! :bthumb:

FWIW, i have yet to shoot 5 consecutive tgts that average 90+, even with my 82G with peep sights, or with any of my scoped guns for that matter !
Was doing high 80's before bow season, not that good right now...

#21 ·
I shot a 439 with the Klinsky stocked 452 Ultra Lux with Brno sights,,2.5mm post,,I dont think any of my round inserts are big enough for this,,I will try again after I adjust the stock for standing at 25 yards,,the cheek riser is way up for shooting at longer range with the sights jacked way up..

#30 ·
I have shot three targets,,the last with a sling and made 450,,the targets look pitiful,I hadn`t had this rifle out since I got the #4 so that is a good thing I guess,,
Hey, at least you got one set that averaged 90 ! Nice gun, what is that baby ?

Today i shot one set: 85, 80, 86, 84, 82, with scoped Glen.25. You should see my targets. :rolleyes: Man, i need to get back into practice...

Gonna use the Kimber for my irons class in this match. It is twice as heavy as my little G25, maybe i'll do better w/that gun.

#31 ·
A23/5 targets with white centers available.

I just saw this thread for the first time and will be trying it out. I wanted to let you know that the American Target Company has the A23/5 targets with white centers now available. The 9 & 10 ring are white. For the 50 yard shooters, it makes seeing the bullet holes through the spotting scope easier. I have not shot at 25 yards in a while, so do not know how much benefit it will give, but it can't hurt and the price is the same as the all black center targets. One other thought, for those using open sights, the white center may give a smaller aiming point and to aim small may mean to miss small and end up with a higher score.

#32 ·
I just saw this thread for the first time and will be trying it out. I wanted to let you know that the American Target Company has the A23/5 targets with white centers now available. The 9 & 10 ring are white. For the 50 yard shooters, it makes seeing the bullet holes through the spotting scope easier. I have not shot at 25 yards in a while, so do not know how much benefit it will give, but it can't hurt and the price is the same as the all black center targets. One other thought, for those using open sights, the white center may give a smaller aiming point and to aim small may mean to miss small and end up with a higher score.
Thanks for the tgt tip David.
Welcome to the match, we are having some fun with this one.
Go shoot, keep track of your targets, and post your best effort by Oct.31
Note that you can post two entries each month, one with irons, one with scope.
Good luck,
Bob

#33 ·
My schedule...

Thanks Bob. My wife and I will be off on a month long cruise very soon. I probably won't get a chance to try this out until the end of November. I do a lot of the 50 yard iron sight matches, all bench rest. An old man's game. But I know I should shoot off of my hind legs and there are enough windy days here that the 25 yard offhand makes a lot of sense. And justifies owning some light rifles. I suspect I will be using my CZ Lux with the factory open iron sights and Wal Mart bulk Federal Auto Match ammo. And I do have a Remington 541 with a 2-8x scope I may try too. Thanks for having these games for us. Best regards, David

#37 ·
Whoa.... this match must be a hard one! A guy shoots in a match, the next thing you know, he has emergency surgery! I think I'll stay away from this one...

Just kidding... I hope you are doing ok. Good luck with your recovery.

Bob,

Am into hunting for the next few months, but in the spring when it warms, I'm dragging out some rifles to shoot in your match. I hope this prospers. I think this is great and am so happy for you. Us old guys need a little prodding sometimes to get out of our comfort zone. Good on you!

Take care

Kenny

#40 ·
CZ Ultra Lux One Month Old

This is my Entry

SCORE: 400 2X
NAME: Marcel Lorger
GUN: CZ Ultra Lux, one month old
GUN SETUP: Iron sights
AMMO: Remington Cyclone .22LR
INDIV TGTS SCORES: 80, 74, 85, 75, 86,
NOTES, WEATHER, 65 with 5mph wind, clowds, had this CZ about a month,

I have been shooting a few months, and just oicked up this CZ not long ago.

Lorger

#41 · (Edited)
10/15/12 @ Florida

I got out to try this for the first time. My report:

205/250, 205/250, 213/250 & 211/250
David Lee Valdina
Indian River Range, Sebastian, Florida
CZ Lux, all factory except a RifleBasix trigger
Federal Auto Match ammo

I had been sent a question as to the number of rounds shot. If I shoot a 205 out of a possible 250, that means I have shot 25 rounds, and in this case, it is 5 rounds per target and there are 5 targets in the A23/5 paper. I report that as 205/250. Another way is by percentages. 205 divided by 250 yields 82%. This helps compare scores for me when I do not get to shoot the same amount each time out. For example, today my time at the 25 yard range was ring to be short, and I ended up shooting 6 shots per target, for the 5 targets, so the possible was 300 points. 30 shots times ten, the maximum value. I scored a 247 and a 247/300 is also 82%. In this case I used a Remington 541T with a Leupold scope set about 5 power because it was clearer at that distance than at the 8 max. power setting. I will be out of the country for a month. See you all later.