RimfireCentral.com Forums

RimfireCentral.com Forums (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Anschutz (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Savage Anschutz Rebarrel Or Start Over (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212260)

jcw3 01-20-2008 07:09 PM

Savage Anschutz Rebarrel Or Start Over

I have an older Savage Anschutz 141 that looks to have what is a 64 action. The trigger has been worked down to about 4 oz and I am happy with the stock I have, but the barrel is gone (large pit marks, chips in rifling and some major wear).

I have looked at a few barrel makers and even visited ones shop this week and am still debating what to do. Some say go for it, and other say start over.

Where I shoot, we must use sporter barrels and it will probably have to be crome-moly, SS barrels are not looked at kindly where I shoot and there will probably be rules against it in the near future. Most of the shooters use factory guns that have been modified with lighter triggers, bedding, and such.

I currently shoot a Anschutz 1712 & 1422 with excellent results, but hate to have this Savage Anschutz that is setup for what I need it to be, but just needs a barrel.

From what I have researched its going to put me back $500-600 to get a new barrel in the sporter contour and have it mounted. Just not sure if that money would be better spent in one of my other rifles or even into a new rifle.

Whats been your personal experiences with rebarreled sporter contours?

sharpessword 01-21-2008 04:35 PM

JCW:

You should have no problem selling the 141/64 action, if you decide to sell it.

On the other hand, have you considered saving a few $ for yourself and checking with some of the major .22RF barrel makers to see if they have any good Anschutz sporter style take off barrels they are willing to sell? One of the rimfire shooters reading this may also have a good sporter take off he would be willing to part with.

I know of shooters who have had their Anschutz rifles rebarreled for the benchrest game. Each one of them told me their old Anschutz barrel shot just fine, but they wanted a specialty barrel installed. You are correct in that rebarreling, rechambering with a quality match grade barrel and match chamber can be pricey. Most of the shooters I know who have rebarreled match rifles are happy with them. Only one friend had problems with extraction and also admitted that his old anschutz barrel shot just as well as his newer, "hoped for miracle", barrel.
On the other hand, no matter how old we get, it is always nice to look forward to a new project.

Best of luck with your new choice. It could be a lot of fun.

Dave

Camster 01-21-2008 05:42 PM

My take:I don't think a 64 action is a last forever type of thing-all guns have a life span.I'd start over.
A new one isn't that much more than rebarreling yours,and while I've heard of plenty of 54 action guns being rebarreled, I haven't heard of a 64 being done.
A:You could sell yours for parts.
B: You could possibly sell parts off the new one and marry the parts that you like off the old one.

Camster 01-21-2008 05:45 PM

Observation C: I have way too much time on my hands when I see how many threads have my name in 'em! ;)

Gizzy 01-21-2008 06:01 PM

It would cost more to rebarrel one than the barrel would be worth. Sell the gun to someone who does not care about the condition and buy you another one in better shape. Spend the money that you would have for rebarreling, on the difference for a newer, or better shape rifle.

Miller1036 01-21-2008 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcw3 (Post 1704805)
SS barrels are not looked at kindly where I shoot and there will probably be rules against it in the near future.

I don't know a whole lot about this and I'm sorry about getting off-track here, but what would be wrong with SS barrels?
Thanks for any insight.

Rick

Viper225 01-22-2008 11:04 AM

I agree with Sharpessword
I would e-mail a few of the custom builders, and see what they had in the way of a take off barrel laying around the shop.
I have had 4 Tactical rifles built from New Remington 700's. The gunsmith kept 3 of the barrels, and recycles at least a couple of them. One I found someone looking for a replacement 270 barrel and sold one of them to him.

A few e-mails and a little research would not cost much.

Get on Benchrest Central and post looking for a take off barrel.

Look for a good used barrel, it would be the cheapest way to get where you are going. If you cannot locate one, then go to plan B.

Bob

jcw3 01-22-2008 01:25 PM

As for the condition of the rifle its in excellent condition (98%) and has great looking wood, even the bluing is great. The problem is the inside of the barrel (thats how I go stung and ended up with it). Its just had to many years of barrel neglect. The bolt and trigger are great, I sure wish my 1712 had a trigger like this little guns got.

I bought it about 10 years ago as a factory sporter to shoot a local matches but never could get it to group. After having it scoped, I found the issue why.

Not sure why, but the local group I shoot with want for keep the guns FACTORY. There are a few after market barrels, but not much. Most of them seem to be crome-moly, but a SS guns come in from time to time and as stated are frowned upon and usually don't hang around long. The SS look is starting to grow on me, but not sure if thats what I will go with.

I have played around with the idea of putting a used factory 1710 barrel on it, but in the end, its going to only save me $150-200 (since most used factory barrels are going for $150-200, that I have found). I am just scared of getting someone else "BAD" barrel. They did change the barrel in hopes of getting better accuracy I assume, why else would they take it off and add another EXPENSIVE barrel.

Just curious how those rebarreled 64 actions shoot. Seems to be alot of them out there, got to be a few rebarreled models.

GaryinOh 01-22-2008 02:19 PM

I'm not expert but why not have the barrel relined if it is in such good shape. I have had one done with very good results it shoots better now than it did when it was new.The job that Redman&sons did for me was very good. If you did not knew what to look for you would never know it had been relined.

jcw3 01-22-2008 02:51 PM

I was under the impression that relining was more for hunting or collector rifles.

Was you able to get match accuracy out of the relining, or just hunting accuracy?

If you don't mind me asking, what is a general price for relining a factory barrel?

Gizzy 01-22-2008 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcw3 (Post 1707171)
I was under the impression that relining was more for hunting or collector rifles.

Was you able to get match accuracy out of the relining, or just hunting accuracy?

If you don't mind me asking, what is a general price for relining a factory barrel?

Forget the relining. Its mainly for a good accuracy hunting rifle. I would not do that for a rifle I plan to compete with.

sobrbiker883 01-24-2008 11:23 PM

On topic- I'd sell it and get a different 64 sporter.........or a 54 if you could find a nice Savage Annie

Off topic-
Quote:

Originally Posted by jcw3 (Post 1704805)

Where I shoot, we must use sporter barrels and it will probably have to be crome-moly, SS barrels are not looked at kindly where I shoot and there will probably be rules against it in the near future.

Where and what kind of shooting do you do???

750k2 01-25-2008 07:26 AM

I'd re-bbl if you like the rifle, start over and no guarantees, a new bbl will shoot.
The stainless thing is a little weird?
Shilen , Broughton and Kreiger make cr mo bbls.

They Will shoot:bthumb:

jcw3 01-25-2008 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sobrbiker883 (Post 1710571)
Where and what kind of shooting do you do???

There are a few weekly matches near where I live that are unsanctioned, but all of them are very similar.

We shoot 20 yards mostly indoors but sometimes outdoors. As for guns, they have to be sporter barrels (no heavy or bull barrels) and for the most part factory (though more and more custom parts are starting to be seen). SS barrels are legal at the moment, but I am sure we will see a rule change soon.

Most of the guns have trigger jobs getting them in the 6-12 oz range, glass bedding, double action screws, better mounting of the barrel to the action, recrown barrels, usually 24-36x power scopes, and so on. Just very little custom stuff and if it is, its usually camouflaged to look factory.

The dots we shoot are the same size as a 22 bullet. You get three shots every round and most of the guns can knock (100% of the dot must be gone) out 1 out of 3 dots any time, 2 out of 3 if its hitting good, and 3 out of 3 is rare.

As for guns, you see alot of annies, rem s & t, ALOT of CZ's, a few other brands as well. For the money, some of those CZ really perform. 54 action annies seem to always win with a few long barrel CZ always giving them a run for first place.

I am not try to hide the fact I am changing the barrel, I just am debating whether to put $500-600 in a older but good shape 64 action. If I knew it would make it shoot, I would go for it, but I am scared there is a slim chance it just may not shoot, then I have wasted ALOT and time of money.

gs50401 01-25-2008 08:29 AM

rebarrel annie

I would rebarrel it with a stock contour custom barrel. It would be a shame to scrap a fine rifle for parts. I have never seen a decent rimfire action wear out.
Neglect and abuse can wreck them.