RimfireCentral.com Forums

RimfireCentral.com Forums (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Remington (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Making a New 581 Stock (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1173289)

grg 10-03-2019 12:53 PM

Making a New 581 Stock

3 Attachment(s)
I duplicated a 581 stock with a few changes, one of which is making it a little beefier stock. The profile is a little thicker allover as well as a more vertical grip which I like. I didn't want to change it from having that Sporter look but wanted to bring in a few of the characteristics I like. I still have more profiling to do on the grip cap and forend tip as well as the top edge of stock. May add flutes at the front of the comb but not sure yet. The barreled action still has to go down just a little bit more but not much.

I will actually look for a different action and then do another barrel for it, haven't decided on the barrel profile yet. The grip cap I want to blend into the butt stock and to get a longer grip area will probably leave the front fairly deep but still leaving the profile of it open, hopefully I will get it the way I want it be for I whittle to much off and have to put a different one on. The stock is a pretty straight piece of walnut and I used some mesquite that one of the great RFC members sent me a while ago for the grip cap and forend tip.

My goal was to build a template that I can use on other barreled actions with maybe a few modifications in length, thicknesses etc but general profile being there. I also figured I would go ahead and make it a usable stock and build a different template once I hunt with it a little and decide on changes. The barreled action is a factory unit and I like the relationship of the barrel length to the forend. The second picture is a factory stock with the new one.

Any constructive criticism is always appreciated, be gentle as this is my first complete stock build. I have inletted stocks, reshaped and reinletted old stocks but never a complete build before. It won't be perfect but I wasn't really going for that as much as using it as a platform to do some better ones.

I will put some more pics on after I get it sitting where I want and the rest of the shaping done. I keep thinking about doing some new bottom metal for it but haven't decided.i probably should have put this in the stock section but really wanted to get feedback from other Remington lovers more so.

GreggieBoy 10-03-2019 05:51 PM

That is a very nice looking stock. I for one, am impressed.

RAZZLER 10-03-2019 05:57 PM

As a proud owner of a mint 581, I am very envious. That stock will certainly accentuate the looks of your rifle. Be sure and show us the finished project. Very anxious to see it...

Jamesfthompson 10-03-2019 06:05 PM

Gun stock

The stock looks great!

RMoran 10-03-2019 06:28 PM

Very nice

Shorty123 10-04-2019 01:00 AM

Very nice work! Looking forward to seeing it in finish.

fugawe 10-04-2019 01:40 PM

Very nice! Can't wait to see it finished!

grg 10-04-2019 01:55 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the kind words. Just a little more sanding and should be done. Here are a couple pictures with mineral spirits. I didn't think it had much grain to it but actually the butt is not bad, I will get some better pictures outside.

Shorty123 10-04-2019 02:06 PM

Looking good!:bthumb: A little preview of whats to come.

bandit1250 10-04-2019 05:39 PM

I really like it! Great work.

72coupe 10-04-2019 06:36 PM

Great work. I once made a stock for a 788 out of Texas Red Mesquite. Took me a long time and lots of tools because mesquite is very hard and some what abrasive.

scooter22 10-04-2019 07:56 PM

WOW! That is sharp!:t:t I'd bet you could sell a few of them. The 580 series stocks are rather slim. Can't wait to see it fulyl finished.

M2HB 10-04-2019 10:13 PM

Very nice.

Iím anxiously awaiting the finished pictures.

grg 10-11-2019 11:14 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Ive been kind of busy lately but was finally able to get a little time to finish sanding and put some stain on this stock. The pictures don't really show the forend tip very well but once the finish is on it will look pretty nice. I have pretty good sized hands and the grip and stock overall feel good. I had my son also try it out with the barreled action in it and he loves the way it feels, his hands are smaller so it's a fairly versatile stock.

First pic is sanded with barreled action then with stain on it. I will probably go with a satin finish like the rifle above it.

gmd1950 10-12-2019 07:58 AM

Very nice work.