RimfireCentral.com Forums

RimfireCentral.com Forums (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mark II (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=209)
-   -   Used MK II magazine prices (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1230301)

Empe 08-27-2021 09:56 PM

Used MK II magazine prices

I have been watching used MK II mags ...the colored ones with either the silver/red or the silver/black bottoms selling for what I consider to be pretty high prices the past little while. They seem to be in the $60.00 -$75.00 range on ebay . One seller has one listed for $199.00 . The older colored bottom mags have always brought a premium usually selling for at least the same price as a new one if not more but these recent prices are pretty crazy.
I bought quite a number of them several years ago when they were still reasonably priced . Silver/black for my older MK II and silver/red for the later model. Good thing I don't need any more.

jazzsax8 08-28-2021 09:53 AM

yes

Yes I noticed this too and just put 4 on the classifieds at an attractive price considering the current conditions.

Deleted the ad and put remaining 3 on eBay.

HIghstandardguy 08-28-2021 10:11 AM

There is also gray with red background. They were the last ones before Ruger went to all black.

FredVK 08-29-2021 06:30 AM

Wow, I see I'm gonna have to go through my stash of MKII mags to see if I got any high dollar bases.

Empe 08-29-2021 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FredVK (Post 12440467)
Wow, I see I'm gonna have to go through my stash of MKII mags to see if I got any high dollar bases.

I have about 15 of the colored mags between both of my MK II's but I plan on keeping them.

Racer X 09-04-2021 08:46 PM

So, is it some sort of authenticity issue? I have showed how to easily modify Mark III/IV magazines. 2 packs of genuine Ruger e-Nickel are available on eBay for under $45 shipped. I was getting them at $30 shipped in the summer of 2020.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...9&postcount=23

HIghstandardguy 09-10-2021 10:01 AM

If you are collecting you want the correct base plate on your magazines, otherwise it really doesn’t matter as long as they work. It does seem like the supply of older magazines is drying up, probably because people like me buy them whenever they find them at a good price.

jazzsax8 09-10-2021 02:48 PM

for me

Not sure why they did not sell here but I had 3 of the older Black/Silver logo mags here for $150 delivered. No one wanted them so they just closed on eBay where they paid $225 + tax. I used to have patience on my ads here but will give it about a week from now on.

wproct 09-10-2021 05:05 PM

I have 2 MKII pistols and the 2 each original magazines that came with them. 2 have the red and silver bases and the other 2 have the black and silver bases. I'm one of those guys that only loads and shoots one magazine so the other one lies unused in the box. Won't be selling them and don't need any more.:)

JStacy 09-13-2021 04:04 PM

There are Megar MKII mags on gun broker , in the 20.00 range. They are not as durable as the Ruger magazines but they can be used for a time then retuned when the soft steel moves.

4c5z2mrkIIm60s 09-16-2021 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HIghstandardguy (Post 12454847)
If you are collecting you want the correct base plate on your magazines, otherwise it really doesn’t matter as long as they work. It does seem like the supply of older magazines is drying up, probably because people like me buy them whenever they find them at a good price.

I have 12 mags, 1 silver logo, 9 all black birds, 2 original standard mags.
The two original mags came in a range bag from a distant relative who had passed away.

4c5z2mrkIIm60s 09-17-2021 04:22 PM

One silver logo mag sold for winning bid of $79.00 yesterday on ebay.

TacomaSlim 09-17-2021 07:00 PM

Supply. Demand. It's worth whatever someone is willing to pay. $79 ??? For one MKII mag? Must be California sales.

HIghstandardguy 09-17-2021 07:22 PM

I'm not sure if it's supply and demand or the W.C. Fields effect. At that rate it looks like I have almost $2,000 worth of "vintage" spare MKII mags laying around, most of which I purchased for $10 -$15.

Lloyd S. 09-17-2021 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JStacy (Post 12458585)
There are Megar MKII mags on gun broker , in the 20.00 range. They are not as durable as the Ruger magazines but they can be used for a time then retuned when the soft steel moves.

I've never had a problem with Mac-Gar magazines. The only thing I don't like about the ones for my Ruger MkII's is the small button on the side for loading. I prefer the larger ones on Ruger-brand mags. But if you use a magazine loader that doesn't matter. FWIW, I've read that Mec-Gar is the OEM for some pistol brands. I don't recall which ones, though.

Are Mec-Gars less durable than Ruger-branded? Beats me. I've never worn one of either brand out.

JStacy 09-18-2021 10:29 AM

Lloyd I have used Megar mags and found, in older ones , that the lips of the mag soften up and allow the rounds to raise up too high and jam the gun. Typically speaking the Megar mags work fine initially but loose tension over the years. Just my experience , but with MKII mags getting so high I will probably try them again.

Lloyd S. 09-18-2021 12:01 PM

Maybe mine haven't failed because I didn't use them enough. But what the heck--at the price differential you can buy 2 MG's at the price of 1 OEM and still come out ahead. I've had mine for a long time. I think I paid about 10 bucks for them.