RimfireCentral.com Forums

RimfireCentral.com Forums (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   .22 Ammunition (S-L-LR) (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   The New Blazer 22 is CRAP! (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1164593)

Toomany22s 06-25-2019 10:14 AM

I have heard, maybe on this forum, that Blazer is made by both federal and CCI. Since both are owned by the same conglomerate. And that the CCI Blazer is better than the federal Blazer. Now this might be fake news internut drivel. :eek:

NIB 06-25-2019 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toomany22s (Post 11524613)
I have heard, maybe on this forum, that Blazer is made by both federal and CCI. Since both are owned by the same conglomerate. And that the CCI Blazer is better than the federal Blazer. Now this might be fake news internut drivel. :eek:

I saw that reported also as the Federal Blazer lot numbers, bullet and cartridge box hangers differed from the CCI Blazer. Although I haven't seen any mention of Federal currently producing Blazer's.

NIB 06-25-2019 07:14 PM

Please correct me if I'm wrong but didn't CCI previously "Deboss" or press into the cardboard the lot numbers of Blazer?

Looks as if CCI made a change to ink with this lot of Blazer.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...1&d=1561375892

kirby999 06-25-2019 07:44 PM

I shot a box of my new Blazer as did my brother today . Neither of use could tell any difference in this case and the last .
You can definite see a difference in the case stampings . The C is smaller . I’ve read CCI owns a plant in Mexico . I wonder if these could be coming from there .
The Federal Blazers didn’t have the heavy lube on them . They weren’t as good as the CCI Blazers.

redrocket 06-25-2019 08:24 PM

I just want to say! I shoot a lot of rimfire and I have shot a lot of rimfire, I know what under powered and squib loads are! These are some of the worst rimfire I have shot in years!
My wife that does not shoot that much, on Sat. when we were shooting even asked me "What's wrong with these!" Some of the rounds were duds, and a lot of them seemed 50% under powered! I have shot a bunch of Blazer over the years and Never had a problem! These definitely have a problem.
I also stand corrected, I did my research on my ammo purchases and these were not from Target USA, rather from Palmetto Armory!

NIB 06-25-2019 08:25 PM

In 1959 CCI U.S.A. opened a plant in San Luis Potosi, Mexico now known as Cascade Cartridge International which sells "CI" brand.

If these Blazer were 100% Mexican they should say so on their package?

But if say just the primed cases were of Mexican origin it would probably still be OK for the packages to say "made in USA".

Knowing when these Blazer were produced like possibly during the shortage would be interesting.

gcrank1 06-25-2019 08:32 PM

Contact them with this info and lot #. They may do right by ya. A friend had issues with another brand and got quite a satisfying perk.

kirby999 06-25-2019 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redrocket (Post 11525197)
I just want to say! I shoot a lot of rimfire and I have shot a lot of rimfire, I know what under powered and squib loads are! These are some of the worst rimfire I have shot in years!
My wife that does not shoot that much, on Sat. when we were shooting even asked me "What's wrong with these!" Some of the rounds were duds, and a lot of them seemed 50% under powered! I have shot a bunch of Blazer over the years and Never had a problem! These definitely have a problem.
I also stand corrected, I did my research on my ammo purchases and these were not from Target USA, rather from Palmetto Armory!

Mine do have the small “c” headstamp , but my lot number is different. I just pulled two boxes to try today to see if mine were going to be like what you’re experiencing.
I shot a couple magazines through my Bersa Thunder 22 and it won’t operate with anything underpowered. It doesn’t like CCI AR 40g. Prefers Stingers or Velocitors.
The first one of one of the mags didn’t eject , but the rest functioned ok .
Shot them at 25 yards out of a bolt action and got cloverleafs . One group was a ragged hole .
I hope mine is OK and hope you get yours straightened out . Kirby

D Bart 06-25-2019 10:04 PM

I'm on My third case. Used mostly for steel matches and practice. Of the previous 12000 or so rounds I've had exactly 1 failure. A couple other competitors that switched to Blazer have had simular results.
All boxed, no bulk. I never use 22 bulk ammo of any kind. Just received another case of Blazer.

Dennis.

redrocket 06-26-2019 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D Bart (Post 11525271)
I'm on My third case. Used mostly for steel matches and practice. Of the previous 12000 or so rounds I've had exactly 1 failure. A couple other competitors that switched to Blazer have had simular results.
All boxed, no bulk. I never use 22 bulk ammo of any kind. Just received another case of Blazer.

Dennis.

I've had similar results until now. Use them only for Steel Challenge matches. These won't work!

D Bart 06-26-2019 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redrocket (Post 11525371)
I've had similar results until now. Use them only for Steel Challenge matches. These won't work!

I'll have to break open the new case and check them out. Hopefully as good as always.

bearcatter 06-26-2019 12:25 PM

I used to shoot some Blazers years ago. I had a problem with the bases bulging out, which would then rub the recoil sheild on revolvers. After about six boxes over a couple of years, I quit buying it. No Federal has ever done that with me.

Al the Infidel 06-26-2019 12:46 PM

What a sheltered life I've lead, nary a round of Blazer through any of my firearms, ever!

Desert Pete 06-26-2019 02:06 PM

It seems some of you don't know there is a new Blazer out that has a 38gr bullet as opposed to the old Blazer's 40gr bullet. The packaging is also different. I still see both kinds for sale. The price of the new one makes it seem attractive, but I haven't bought any yet. I've shot a lot of the old style, and it performs middle of the pack. Shoots better than some kinds, not as good as others.

kirby999 06-26-2019 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Desert Pete (Post 11525773)
It seems some of you don't know there is a new Blazer out that has a 38gr bullet as opposed to the old Blazer's 40gr bullet. The packaging is also different. I still see both kinds for sale. The price of the new one makes it seem attractive, but I haven't bought any yet. I've shot a lot of the old style, and it performs middle of the pack. Shoots better than some kinds, not as good as others.

The 38g Blazers are bulk packaged , the 40 gr ones are packaged 50 to a box , 500 to a brick . The 40g. Blazers are the ones being discussed . Kirby

NIB 06-27-2019 07:49 AM

Guys and Gals

I haven't bought Blazer for some time. Have they been printing the lot numbers with ink on their flap as shown for some time? Does all new Blazer come this way?
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...1&d=1561375892

NIB 06-27-2019 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al the Infidel (Post 11525681)
What a sheltered life I've lead, nary a round of Blazer through any of my firearms, ever!

Al, I'm pretty sheltered here as well. The last time I bought Blazer was from a Thrift Store "before" they got the keen idea they weren't going to ever sell ammunition again. :D
Com'on it's rimfire...you can't really reload it anyway so how dangerous can it be? :p :D

Bin 06-27-2019 10:33 AM

Blazer

I picked up a case from Target Sports when the rebate was on of the 50 round box’s. No problems so far. The lot number is pressed in to the box on the bottom, not stamped in ink. The head stamp is lighter, not crushed in as the picture shows. Clear plastic holder without legs.

NIB 06-27-2019 02:16 PM

Thank You, Bin

Debossing (pressing) the lot number into the package seems customary for Blazer. The ink printed lot number hadn't been usual?

NIB 06-27-2019 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bin (Post 11526507)
I picked up a case from Target Sports when the rebate was on of the 50 round box’s. No problems so far. The lot number is pressed in to the box on the bottom, not stamped in ink. The head stamp is lighter, not crushed in as the picture shows. Clear plastic holder without legs.

As a follow up to my previous post. That lot number sure does look different from the Ink Jet print Federal and CCI uses? Maybe it IS "Stamped" as you said. That really begs the question...where did the OP's lot of Blazer come from?

Brittman 06-27-2019 11:39 PM

One question.

When a shooter gets a 'squib' load and it sounds weak, does the bullet always exit the barrel OK? Just wondering as I've never shot any Blazer .22's.

Thanks!
Brittman
:confused:

jaia 06-28-2019 06:17 AM

If you have any doubt...any doubt at all that a bullet failed to clear the bore
stop what y'er doing and check immediately. If it sounded funny,
or no hole appeared in the target, if the recoil didn't feel right, stop and check.
Don't guess, check. Bad things can happen if'n ya' don't. :(

zukiphile 06-28-2019 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brittman (Post 11527307)
does the bullet always exit the barrel OK?

No.

I had a 20gr Aguila Colibri fail to exit the barrel of a 28 inch BRNO rifle. It's an extraordinarily anemic round.

The danger for a normal 22lr is that the next round will collide with the stuck round and cause a subtle bulge that will give you headaches for the rest of the life of that barrel.

topowell 06-28-2019 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redrocket (Post 11525197)

Someone may have already mentioned this but you should stop shooting it and contact CCI about it.

Last year I had some Federal Hunter Match that were just like that, and it was kind of expensive stuff, too. Several squibs, a few total misfires, and one that poofed and shot smoke back into my face. I stopped shooting them and contacted Federal and they paid the postage to send it all back to them and also reimbursed me for the money.

I haven't bought any more to see if they got it fixed or not, but I did get my money back.

Starfire1929 06-28-2019 05:54 PM

Seems like everyone is attempting to get competion quality ammo for 6 to 7 cents a round. Unfortunately that won't happen. Try a box of Eley, Lapua, or Wolf. See the difference. But you will pay for it dearly. I guess it all depends on what style of sport shooting you wish to do. Good luck