RimfireCentral.com Forums

RimfireCentral.com Forums (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Shooting Accessories (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Best bore solvent (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1123538)

NevRimfire 06-01-2018 10:12 PM

Best bore solvent

Using my centerfire regime (Hoppes or Wipe Out) may not cut it in cleaning 22 lr barrels which use solely lead bullets. Although I find that Ballistol works well to remove powder residue what would you recommend to clean 22 lr barrels if there becomes any lead fouling?

I do not want to use anything too abrasive or harsh. I find a brushing with a 20 cal brush wrapped with a cleaning patch lightly coated with Ballistol helps to preclude excessive fouling lead buildup in the bore...but is that a prudent approach based on your experiences? I use a bore guide to avoid Ballistol creeping on to my stock and in action.

Any of your bore cleaning practices in your 22 lr’s is appreciated.

Let me know how I can help you in your centerfire cleaning, I have some good tips.

Thank you

Clem-E 06-01-2018 10:25 PM

hoppe's and kroil mixed and a 6mm brush to keep the carbon ring out of the lead. Lead, i dont do anything special, patches with gunscrubber on them and maybe some boretech c4 to get most of the carbon fouling out. Sometimes I will send a .22 pistol brush down the bore. I really havent given much thought to lead as i shoot sk or eley most of the time. Last deep cleaning I did was enough to make both my CZs accuracy fall off with SK. right now i am at the mercy of some eley target i have. i need to order some club.

i have a couple .20 brushes, so i will probably wrap a patch around them and try it. The CZ tubes are work hardened from the hammer forging, so it is kind of difficult to hurt them with brass/bronze brushes and other quality cleaning tools.

as far as centerfires, any tips would be appreciated. Thanks

NevRimfire 06-01-2018 11:16 PM

Thank you Clem-E, just sent you an IM on some cleaning ideas.

lithgow_101 06-02-2018 02:26 AM

I use Boretech rimfire blend and just leave it to soak in the barrel over night then just nylon brush it out with about 4 passes in the morning, I have a bore scope and have checked it out before and after and there's no lead or carbon ring in the morning, after doing the above every 250 rounds or so. But for a badly fouled barrel I had to use a 22cal bronze brush and about 8 passes of the bore on a secondhand rifle that I bought a few months back.

cznut 06-02-2018 06:35 AM

I use Rimfire Blend and/or Pro Shot One Step, use patches in the bore and a worn bore brush or Iosso Nylon brush in the chamber and leade. I will ocassionally use a bore brush to clean the entire bore if I feel it needs it.

NevRimfire 06-02-2018 10:28 AM

That Rimfire Blend sounds interesting...I’m going to do my research. You folks are very helpful. Thank you

Clem-E 06-02-2018 01:30 PM

Thanks. I am liking this thread. I am going to have to pick up some BT rimfire blend.

djdilliodon 06-02-2018 02:06 PM

I use rimfire blend or TM2000 (been using TM exclusively for a bit). 2 wet patches and let sit for 5 min. Bronze brush the entire length 10 times. 1 more wet patch and let sit for 5 min. Dry patch and borescope the barrel. If I’m not where I want it to be I repeat. This is what I do for a match barrel. They clean easier but require cleaning more frequently as a carbon ring can become detrimental to accuracy much sooner compared to a factory barrel. In a factory barrel at some point a ring can aid accuracy and then of course eventually harm it.

timberbeast 06-02-2018 02:42 PM

+1 on the Boretech Rimfire blend.

I've also used Hoppes and Kroil mixed -- very effective for all firearm bore cleaning.

finncz 06-02-2018 04:00 PM

I have used breakfree clp with good results, but have no borescope so can't be 100% sure of the total result.
Have any of you opinion about it as compared to other solvents ?

flangster 06-02-2018 04:06 PM

Just speaking for myself, I don't mix oils/solvents/other organics unless someone with far more knowledge than me knows what comes out of the mixture. I use solvents (e.g. Hoppes No. 9) for softening hard stuff (e.g. carbon deposits), kroil for getting under stuff, and so on, but I try not to mix 'em more than I have to. For all I know, Kroil and Hoppes No.9 are antagonistic. :confused:

Anyway, I am probably more risk-averse than I have to be.

NevRimfire 06-02-2018 04:23 PM

Petroleum based products should not be antagonists.

PABear 06-02-2018 04:39 PM

brone bore brush and 10-W 40 motor oil. the carbon is gone lone before the lead is gone. So no carbon solvent is needed by me.

SDBigDog1955 06-02-2018 04:58 PM

kerosene :bthumb:

teetertotter 06-02-2018 05:36 PM

Kroil and .204 pull through Otis brass brush every 1,000+ rounds.

Big-Dummy 06-02-2018 05:38 PM

If you've already got leading, it's hard to beat Kroil and a bronze brush. I've had lead come out in long strings on centerfire revolver barrels after running a Kroil soaked patch down the bore and letting it sit for a while. Likewise, a copper fouled Glock barrel placed in a clear plastic cylinder just slightly larger than the barrel and filled with Kroil had flakes of copper in the bottom after an hour. For light or no metal fouling, my usual bore cleaner is M-Pro7. Just don't scrub with a bronze brush while using it or you will be scrubbing all night wondering why your patches keep coming out black. The M-Pro7 attacks the copper in the bronze brush just like it does fouling in your barrel. The more you use it, the shorter time the cleaning takes. Eventually you will get to the point that a couple cycles of one wet patch, one dry patch is all it takes to get the bore clean. Their LPX oil is also excellent, but for a long time I was a Kroil and Ballistol guy. Nothing wrong with that. I still use Ballistol mixed in boiling water to clean my TC Hawken. I start with boiling water and Windex, then switch to boiling water and Ballistol. I just dump it in an old coffee can and pump it through the bore with a shotgun rod and tight patch. After a couple changes of Windex/water solution I switch to the Ballistol/water solution. When done, I run a dry patch down the barrel, then one with a little pure Ballistol on it. The residual heat from the boiling water dries any remaining water leaving only a protective coat of Ballistol. It used to be you could get quart cans of a BreakFree Bore Cleaner, but I have not seen it for a while. It was really good also. From the smell it had Stoddard Solvent and Acetone in it, probably among other things. I've got a home-brew solution out in the garage made of 25% CLP, 70% Stoddard Solvent, and 5% Acetone that I use for cleaning shotgun barrels. It works great for scrubbing out wad fouling, but I would not use it on anything where you could not remove the forend from the barrel like some fine O/U doubles like the Superposed, as the Acetone will play H E double toothpicks with the finish.

NevRimfire 06-02-2018 08:05 PM

Great input, you’re far from a “Big-Dummy” as your moniker suggests - very smart person. Thank you again.

Clem-E 06-02-2018 08:55 PM

I have noticed that mixing Kroil into the hoppe's mix makes the soaking go faster between brush scrubs.

Big-Dummy 06-02-2018 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NevRimfire (Post 11003794)
Great input, you’re far from a “Big-Dummy” as your moniker suggests - very smart person. Thank you again.

Thanks. "Big Dummy" is actually my bicycle. I post under his account since Gerald banned me.

gmd1950 06-02-2018 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big-Dummy (Post 11004082)
Thanks. "Big Dummy" is actually my bicycle. I post under his account since Gerald banned me.

Awe I never banned you, you went out on points. :D

NevRimfire 06-02-2018 09:28 PM

No sweat, you’re a good man

PEASHOOTER67 06-03-2018 12:30 AM

Best bore solvent 22 lr CZ barrels

Since I do a LOT of my own maintenance naturally I have a lot of solvents in my shop.

Carbon solvents
Penetrating oils
Lubricants

Plus gun stuff.

Throttle body carbon solvent works great for stubborn carbon build ups and oil/grease cutter.

“ be sure to use with caution “

test on various surfaces to make sure it won’t do bad things like remove bluing from your gun.

Throttle body carbon cleaners are supposed to be plastic friendly especially since intake manifolds are now plastic.

I like using a particular penetrating oil because it smells good, works well, and has rust solvent/inhibitors in it “this falls under micro lubes” and also dissolves carbon deposits.

Then dextron 2/ATF is a good cleaner/scrubber for your barrel as well and used as a primary ingredient to a particular home brew gun cleaner for a reason. Automotive transmission fluid contains abrasives in it.

Then there’s motor oils
Some swear by Mobil 1 synthetic oil for gun oil.

The only gun specific solvents/cleaners I use is hopps #9 in its different formulations.

Edit

Also compressed air helps a lot in cleaning.
Notice I only mentioned two products by name but only endorsed one product.

No I don’t represent any product or company so I have no dog in this hunt.

"The biggest communication problem is we don't listen to understand, we listen to reply"

Clem-E 06-03-2018 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PEASHOOTER67 (Post 11004842)
Since I do a LOT of my own maintenance naturally I have a lot of solvents in my shop.

Carbon solvents
Penetrating oils
Lubricants

Plus gun stuff.

Throttle body carbon solvent works great for stubborn carbon build ups and oil/grease cutter.

“ be sure to use with caution “

test on various surfaces to make sure it won’t do bad things like remove bluing from your gun.

Throttle body carbon cleaners are supposed to be plastic friendly especially since intake manifolds are now plastic.

I like using a particular penetrating oil because it smells good, works well, and has rust solvent/inhibitors in it “this falls under micro lubes” and also dissolves carbon deposits.

Then dextron 2/ATF is a good cleaner/scrubber for your barrel as well and used as a primary ingredient to a particular home brew gun cleaner for a reason. Automotive transmission fluid contains abrasives in it.

Then there’s motor oils
Some swear by Mobil 1 synthetic oil for gun oil.

The only gun specific solvents/cleaners I use is hopps #9 in its different formulations.

"The biggest communication problem is we don't listen to understand, we listen to reply"

for lubricants: Grease I like Mobil 1 pink chassis grease. for oil the 32wt royal purple machine oil works great, but I will likely have to find a replacement since it is no longer made apparently. try lube for me is TW25b. and when i need something water proof for stuff i sweat on I go with xf-7.

Z400ACDC 06-03-2018 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDBigDog1955 (Post 11002946)
kerosene :bthumb:

I also kerosene a lot myself!

JTJ 06-03-2018 12:40 PM

Birchwood Casey Lead Removal and Polishing Cloth.
https://www.cabelas.com/product/Birc...E&gclsrc=aw.ds