RimfireCentral.com Forums

RimfireCentral.com Forums (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Browning (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Reproduction 52 Values? (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1167079)

rolltide 07-21-2019 09:18 PM

Reproduction 52 Values?

I was looking around on Gunbroker earlier today, considering listing mine, and noticed that it seems the market for these rifles has slowed quite a bit.

At one point, I remember them being sought after, so I'm wondering if the market for these rifles has changed, or is it just part of where the gun industry is right now across the board?

What do you think?

Camster 07-23-2019 10:16 AM

For starters, I think it's a slow time of the year for gun sales.

dbuffington 07-23-2019 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolltide (Post 11551001)
At one point, I remember them being sought after, so I'm wondering if the market for these rifles has changed, or is it just part of where the gun industry is right now across the board?

IMHO ... it's simply where the market is right now. Manufacturers are putting out tons of product, in terms of both quantity and variety. Boomers are aging and selling out their collections. Washington is in gridlock and therefore not passing anti-gun legislation.

In short, sellers are simply on the wrong side of the supply-and-demand ratio right now.

There are exceptions. Irreplaceable, mint condition, high cachet products will still attract real money. In the Browning market, that might be a 100 percent, Midas grade Superposed or the NIB 1959 SA-22 mentioned here on RFC recently.

Conversely, the Miroku 52s -- as nice as they certainly are -- are not particularly rare. PLUS, there are plenty of original Model 52s available in the marketplace.

So, as a seller, I can only advise you to wait if you can wait.

But if you can be a buyer, buy.

Enjoy!
Dave

Camster 07-24-2019 09:53 AM

I agree with Dave.

If you think it's time for it to go, then it is what it is.
Trying to overlay a stock market scenario to where anything might go price wise, is a waste of energy.

rolltide 07-24-2019 01:36 PM

Thanks for the replies. I think you're spot on and it truly is a good time to be a buyer.

It certainly is interesting, to see how the dynamic has changed from just a few years ago, both in what is available, as well as what it is selling for.

I'm going to use this as an example to my children, as a way to explain supply and demand as well as the multiple factors that drive the demand category...

HUSHKABOOM 07-24-2019 03:31 PM

I have seen this with other collectibles also. Price goes up and folks see that there $300 item is selling for $500 so they sell. Market gets flooded with high priced items and the folks that wanted it bad paid the price. Then the price drops back part way.

Camster 07-24-2019 05:54 PM

supply and demand

Yep, sometimes there is a finite number of guys wanting to experience a certain model. Once they've indulged themselves, or they don't see it as an investment scheme, things quiet down.

SillyMike 07-29-2019 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camster (Post 11552405)
For starters, I think it's a slow time of the year for gun sales.

+1
People are busy with their summer vacation plan$... and the 52R is kind of a niche-firearm.
- If someone is looking for a "shooter", they'll either shy away from the premium demanded by a NIB "older" rifle
- A new T-Bolt in Walnut (a very nice rifle) can be bought for a few hundred$ less

Seems like there are still plenty of 52R listed at $900-$1000. Which I think is not bad.