Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Remington Model 37 production survey.

79K views 300 replies 132 participants last post by  Firewx 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I am conducting a survey of the Remington Model 37 production dates by serial number for my own interest. I am interested in knowing approximately how many 37's were produced on a monthly basis throughout the rifles production span. I have already taken the information that Myles has previously posted in this forum and added it to a spreadsheet that I an working on. If you have a Model 37 and are interested in participating I would appreciate your information greatly. The only information that I am interested in is the serial number on the receiver and date codes on the barrel, your information will not be shared with anyone. You may post your info in this thread or send me a PM here or send it to my personal email address elite_hot_rod@yahoo.com. If you choose to send an email please put Remington 37 in the subject line so that it doesn't go to my spam folder. Thank you gentlemen.

BTW mine is 07709 CTT 4-48.

#3 · (Edited)
big7mm,

If the barrel on your Model 37 is a Remington made barrel you shouldn't have to take your rifle apart to find the date codes, they should be located on the R/H side of the barrel just forward of the receiver just above the stock line. Should be 2 or 3 letters, the first letter indicates the month of manufacture and the 2nd and 3rd if present indicate the year of manufacture. A custom barrel will be marked differently. Hope this helps. Thanks

#17 ·
Thank you 45-70ss, om58 and I appreciate your input. By the serial # I think yours would more likely be 1948 vintage.
cleanprone, thank you for the additional info, is it possible that sn# 09517 is B-WW date code? that would make it fall in Jan. 1950 which would look about right. Thanks, Myles

#18 ·
My 37 is ser. no. is 03603. The markings on the right side of the barrel is not easy for me to understand. I am sure someone here does understand. It looks like 3 marks in a row that look like very small Red Cross, crosses. after that it is the letters KK. What does that tell you?

#34 ·
Thank you Gentlemen, your information has been added to the spreadsheet. Looking at some of your beautiful 37's I'm starting to think mine got beat with the ugly stick.

Walkerdog and rimfirerod are your date codes complete? I believe there should be 3 letters, would you please check and verify this for me? Thank you again Gentlemen !!!

#37 ·
OM

Just to confirm my SN with you it has a date code of ZZ for a 1953 Mant date the SN: 11967 Brer Rabbit
Brer, 1st off that's a very nice looking 37 you have there!!! 2nd, your rifle should have a 3 letter date code. The 1st letter indicates the month of manufacture and the 2nd and 3rd letters (in your case) indicate the year of manufacture, as you say the ZZ stands for the year of 1953. Could you please provide me with the first letter of the code so that I can add it to the list? One of the things that I'm looking at is monthly production by serial number. Thank you sir.

#36 ·
OK, Old Man58, what am I missing?

Mine is #01517, EK, Oct. '41.

Sqweeler is 02864, KJ, May '40.

Dave K is 03603, KK, May '41.

I admit I'm not the sharpest pencil in the boat, but this doesn't compute. Maybe a barrel was replaced(mine?), er?

Of course, if I did miss something or misread some numbers or dates, I'll delete this and deny it ever happened.

#38 · (Edited)
big7mm, The first letter is the month designator, yours is "E" which is month 10 or October and the 2nd letter is the year designator, yours is "K" which is 1941.
From 1937(F) until 1942(L) Remington used a single letter to designate the year of manufacture, in 1943(MM) until 1953(ZZ) they switched over to a 2 letter designator for the year of manufacture and then in 1954 they went back to a single letter to designate the year of manufacture. This information can be found in the sticky "Remington Date of Manufacture(DOM) and ID Code Stamps" thread at the top of the Remington 37/40X subforum.

Here you go, hope this helps explain it more clearly than I can :bthumb:
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=494462

#39 ·
Rem.37 03603

Here is Ser. No. 03603. Unfortunately for originality, it has been embellished some by the checkering and the pistol grip cab. But, I liked the appearance of ir so well that is one of the reasons I bought it.That is a 20X Lyman on it and I do have the single shot clip and magazine along with original sights.
[/URL][/IMG]

#40 ·
Here is Ser. No. 03603. Unfortunately for originality, it has been embellished some by the checkering and the pistol grip cab. But, I liked the appearance of ir so well that is one of the reasons I bought it.That is a 20X Lyman on it and I do have the single shot clip and magazine along with original sights.
[/URL][/IMG]
Dave, I don't think the checkering hurts that rifle one bit especially for an ungloved hand and it looks really nice too.

Can you give me the 2-3 letter barrel date codes for my list please? Thank you.