RimfireCentral.com Forums

RimfireCentral.com Forums (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Hunting (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Ticks (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1222575)

flyingsquirrel 05-02-2021 01:49 PM

Ticks

1 Attachment(s)
This is my beagles bounty so far this year. Some were with snow on the ground. They are on NexGard year long so very few attach. About 4 belonged to me.

Al the Infidel 05-02-2021 02:26 PM

I placed one in a tequila bottle cap filled with tequila @ the hunting shack. Rather than die after a 1/2 hr of swimming one began singing a happy tune... tough lil buggers.

Bradical 05-02-2021 03:55 PM

Heck, that's not too bad at all. I have plucked two to five ticks off my pup everyday this past April. There's no sign in the pace slowing.

Have dog, will collect ticks.

Diamond777 05-02-2021 05:22 PM

Yeah, the midwest is a great place if you need to add to your tick collection.

I moved south and the ticks disappeared.

gmd1950 05-02-2021 05:50 PM

Plenty here in NC... Permethrin for your clothing, spray on clothing including shoes and socks, lasts about six weeks. If I'm not mistaken Horse owners use it to keep insects off their Horses, may work on dogs as well. I'd check with my Vet.

mals9 05-02-2021 06:11 PM

The MO Dept of Conservation is asking residents to mail them thier tics for a year long study.

Mals

Bradical 05-02-2021 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmd1950 (Post 12303979)
Plenty here in NC... Permethrin for your clothing, spray on clothing including shoes and socks, lasts about six weeks. If I'm not mistaken Horse owners use it to keep insects off their Horses, may work on dogs as well. I'd check with my Vet.

That reminded me time to give my pup her Simpatico Trio (sarolaner-kills ticks moxidectin-heartworm, and pyranet-intestinal worms) chewable tablet. She gets one each month. Although I take several ticks off of her a day this season, since she been on the sarolaner none have ever been engorged and often they're dead.

Permethrin is good stuff to treat your outdoor gear with.

carbineone 05-02-2021 07:18 PM

We live in town here in Nebraska..But a Buddy lives on the farm..There seems to be a abundance this year of them..If MO wants em..I will send them down there..

greenyonline 05-02-2021 07:26 PM

Ticks can be bad

Deer ticks are no joke in Maine. Lyme disease is caused by bacterium while a virus causes tickborne encephalitis. Both tickborne encephalitis and Lyme disease are transmitted principally by ticks. Left undiagnosed, encephalitis can and has killed within weeks. May through September being the most dangerous months.

mdew 05-02-2021 07:38 PM

Was fueling the tractor and found a tick crawling on my arm. Sent him for a swim in a cup of diesel, backstroked for over 30 minutes then got squished.

arjay 05-02-2021 07:43 PM

Managed to get sick from one several years ago. 6 weeks of the flu..

onemountain 05-02-2021 08:12 PM

I definitely don't miss ticks now that I'm living in SE AK. They give me the creeps.

When I was still living in Idaho I was a big fan of Sawyer's permethrin sprays for clothing and tents. It's pretty cool watching a tick climb onto your pant leg, struggle for a bit, then fall to the ground and die. Like having a super power :cool:

Technician1 05-02-2021 08:38 PM

Ticks

turkey indiana, crawling everywhere, like ants during turkey. came home with one in my back. also head to toe in Sawyer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Njjr 05-02-2021 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmd1950 (Post 12303979)

Not sure I want to be in the same house with anyone who doesn't wash their sox for six weeks.:D:D:D:D

gcrank1 05-02-2021 09:31 PM

Our old Husky always acted 'weird' after a permethrin application, worse the first 1/2 day then settled down after a day.
Our current Sheba Inu got a terrible allergic reaction to it, a not uncommon thing, we almost lost her. Look it up and consider, it is a powerful pesticide!