RimfireCentral.com Forums

RimfireCentral.com Forums (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   .17HMR (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   New member with a new Savage (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=861105)

Squirel 02-12-2017 07:05 PM

New member with a new Savage

New member here and curious what I can expect from a new gun I picked up over the weekend. I just bought a Savage 93r17 BSEV and I put a Vortex 6-18x44 scope on it. I still plan on adding some swivel studs so I can pack it around in the woods but haven't made it that far yet. I haven't shot the gun yet, got the gun yesterday and put the scope on today. I have been looking for bullets trying to find as many different kinds as I can to see what it likes best. So far I have some Hornady 17gr, CCI A17 17gr and CCI 20gr game points. What should I expect and be happy with out of the gun group wise at 50 and 100yds? What bullets work best out of yours or any other kind of bullets I should be looking for? This gun is going to be used for range fun but the main purpose is a squirel head smoker.lol

rolltide 02-12-2017 08:15 PM

Welcome to RFC!

The HMR is a fantastic round and I'm sure you'll get lots of info. I've had great results with the Hornady 17gr VMax and 17gr TNT. I haven't shot enough of the 20gr to know how my 17's like them.

Let's see pics of the new set up!

maxiball 02-12-2017 08:30 PM

Congrats on the .17.
If you take edible small game limit yourself to head shots else
you will blow critters in half.
Ask me how I know.:eek:
Great round for groundhogs.
Fun gun to shoot.

Tsb3 02-13-2017 02:46 PM

Welcome to RFC!!

Congrats on your new Savage! I own a 93r17 GV. You will like your new rifle very much. My shoots pretty consistent sub moa 5 shot groups @ 100 yds. Best groups at .5 moa. That's with Hornady 17gr vmax. It didn't like some old Remington 17gr that I had. A17 hovered around 1". I have some CCI vmax and tnt to try. I hear that the CCI tnt shoots very well.
Each gun is different, so your results may vary.
Enjoy that new 17! :bthumb:

godale 02-13-2017 03:09 PM

i have a older savage 93r17.i have always used hornaday 17 grains and have had great results.:D:D

SWUtah 02-13-2017 04:26 PM

TNT

17 grain TNT JHPs. The identical round is sold as both CCI and Federal. These are the most accurate ammo in all 3 of my 17HMRs. (One, a RAR has since been sold). They also have as good or better terminal performance on small animals as any of the polytips.

Squirel 02-15-2017 06:02 PM

I haven't had time to shoot it yet but I have been picking up different kinds of bullets for it. I have some Hornady 17gr v-max, Hornady 20gr XTP's, CCI 17gr TNT hollow points, CCI a17 and CCI 20gr game points. Now I just need some free time to shoot them and see what works best. If it shoots as good as it is purdy I will be happy with it.

HondaVTEC 02-15-2017 06:52 PM

Best accuracy results in my Savage 93R17 BTVS has been with the TnT hollow points . Significantly better than any of the ballistic tip rounds . It's all I buy now .