RimfireCentral.com Forums

RimfireCentral.com Forums (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Winchester (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Winchester model 60a (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1173997)

Xrperry 10-11-2019 05:19 PM

Winchester model 60a

I have a question, what type of muzzle crown is on a sporter with the finger groove stock? And what do you think the value of one is in fair shape

Big Larry 10-11-2019 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xrperry (Post 11635543)
I have a question, what type of muzzle crown is on a sporter with the finger groove stock? And what do you think the value of one is in fair shape

Flat muzzle. No crown. Blued muzzle. Mine is pretty nice and I gave $450 for it. A tad high, but hard to find these in any condition but poor. Big Larry

Xrperry 10-11-2019 09:28 PM

Ok, the shop wants 175, I don't know how to grade a gun but it sounded a little high

57springer 10-12-2019 12:03 AM

I bought a really nice one last July at a firearms estate sale . I paid $350.

Johnymango 10-12-2019 10:57 AM

$175 isn't a bad price. I see them go from $100-$200 depending on condition on online auctions.

Big Larry 10-12-2019 11:48 AM

There was a M60-A target rifle with original Kerr sling on a Web Site recently for close to $1,000. One of the rarest standard model 22's. It was like new. I would have been a player but I already have a very nice one. It too has the Kerr Sling.
$175 seems like a good deal for a M60-A Sporter if it is all original and correct. Big Larry
http://www.fototime.com/E06B94B77C8EBF5/standard.jpg

GlacierBlue 10-30-2019 11:36 PM

Winchester 60A

Greetings, I just joined this list because it may hold the answers to some of my questions, and because the list participants have a wealth of knowledge. I have a model 60A that I picked up awhile back and I have just got around to going through it to clean it up and do what repairs are needed. Try as I might I can't find any repair manuals on the model; no exploded drawings; no how to disassemble and reassemble the rifle. Are there any written books or articles available you could direct me to? I would like to get it back into a shooter, so I'll most likely re-blue the metal and refinish the stock. Any thoughts would be of great help.
Thanks

pastorobbi 10-31-2019 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlacierBlue (Post 11655579)
Greetings, I just joined this list because it may hold the answers to some of my questions, and because the list participants have a wealth of knowledge. I have a model 60A that I picked up awhile back and I have just got around to going through it to clean it up and do what repairs are needed. Try as I might I can't find any repair manuals on the model; no exploded drawings; no how to disassemble and reassemble the rifle. Are there any written books or articles available you could direct me to? I would like to get it back into a shooter, so I'll most likely re-blue the metal and refinish the stock. Any thoughts would be of great help.
Thanks

It's pretty easy to work on the model 60. Not many parts.

Here's a link to a manual if you're interested:

http://www.homestead-service.com/cart/pid_64.htm

Rob

killerv 10-31-2019 08:11 AM

nothing to them really, the only real dissasembly is with the bolt if absolutely necessary, unless you are refinishing the bolt or need to replace a spring, I would worry about it.

I picked one up for 100 with the stock busted in a couple places. Repaired and refinished the stock, cleaned up the metal. Glad to have it. The only one I have ever seen in person.

Cranky 2 10-31-2019 09:28 AM

No reason to take the bolt apart unless as stated a spring is broken. I find a good cleaning will get rid of the old dried oil and gunk. Place it in a small glass dish cover with kroil and leave for a few days. Brush with an old tooth brush after a couple of days to remove loosened crap.When clean spray down with gun scrubber, blow dry with air and oil lightly.
Have a great day
Jay

GlacierBlue 10-31-2019 10:48 AM

Thank you Rob. That's exactly what I was looking for. I've ordered the e version (I don't believe they have a printed version). I realize the take-down is not overly complicated, but what I was trying to avoid is a misstep which would break or damage one or more parts (I have been known for that).

GlacierBlue 10-31-2019 10:50 AM

The bolt is one of the problems. Whoever owned this rifle before used some heavy grease that over the years has congealed and makes the bolt hard to operate. I will start with a good cleaning before I decide to strip the bolt.

GlacierBlue 10-31-2019 10:54 AM

Jay I appreciate your thoughts and will try degreasing the bolt first. I might mention that the bolt would not release the trigger since the trigger was not in contact with the sear. So clean first, then investigate. Good thoughts!

GlacierBlue 10-31-2019 03:06 PM

Model 60A Before Photos

I will be making this great little .22 into a shooter again and wanted to share some of the before photos. Whats the best way to attach photos to these postings?
DVC
Fred

Cranky 2 10-31-2019 05:33 PM

The trigger needs to be pushed forward when putting the rifle into the stock. It drops in and slides back.
Jay