RimfireCentral.com Forums

RimfireCentral.com Forums (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ruger American Rimfire (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=297)
-   -   RAR Trigger RANT (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1165915)

the_mule 07-07-2019 05:08 PM

RAR Trigger RANT

What is the deal with everyone posting about how poor the RAR trigger is? Compared to other firearms that I have experience with it’s without a doubt the lightest, AND it’s adjustable to be even LIGHTER. I’m over here scratching my head because almost every post on this forum mentions something negative about the factory RAR trigger. Currently I’m working with a factory Glock 19, a 1945 M1 Garand, & an AR-15 with a single stage trigger. There have been others..none of which were ever “match grade” this or “bench rest” that. Still..the RAR factory trigger surprises me with how light it is & that lends itself to minute of soda can accuracy. Change my mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rick_W 07-07-2019 05:29 PM

I picked up a RAR Target and a Savage MK II SV-FR in the local gun store last week.

The RAR trigger was noticeably heavier than the Savage MK II trigger.

I don't know if this is common as I'm just starting my search for a rifle but if the rifles were identical in every other way, I'd take the Savage for the trigger. As it was, the Savage was $200 cheaper (plastic stocked MK II vs laminate RAR) so it followed me home.

Also note, I don't know how much adjustment the RAR trigger had remaining as I was just handling what the store had on the rack.

the_mule 07-07-2019 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick_W (Post 11536923)
I picked up a RAR Target and a Savage MK II SV-FR in the local gun store last week.

I don't know if this is common as I'm just starting my search for a rifle but if the rifles were identical in every other way, I'd take the Savage for the trigger. As it was, the Savage was $200 cheaper (plastic stocked MK II vs laminate RAR) so it followed me home.

Also note, I don't know how much adjustment the RAR trigger had remaining as I was just handling what the store had on the rack.

I haven’t tried a Savage MK II as much as I would like to. How convenient that there is no mention of pull weight about the “accutrigger” on their website. Ruger claims “three and five pounds” adjustable with the Ruger Marksman Adjustable trigger. That whole range is not “heavy” IMHO. I have competed in a GSSF indoor match with a factory Glock trigger without so much as a 25 cent trigger job & won first place - A Class against dudes running polished triggers & aftermarket ones. I ran a factory Marlin 795 trigger albeit aftermarket peep sights to qualify at a local Project Appleseed event. So, everyone screaming “I nEeD 1.5 lBs So I cAn Be AcCuRaTe” needs to practice, practice, practice with their 3 - 5 lb factory trigger before deciding to cut/pull/replace/yank a spring from the action of their RAR. Rant OVER.

Rick_W 07-07-2019 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_mule (Post 11536977)
I haven’t tried a Savage MK II as much as I would like to. How convenient that there is no mention of pull weight about the “accutrigger” on their website. Ruger claims “three and five pounds” adjustable with the Ruger Marksman Adjustable trigger. That whole range is not “heavy” IMHO. I have competed in a GSSF indoor match with a factory Glock trigger without so much as a 25 cent trigger job & won first place - A Class against dudes running polished triggers & aftermarket ones. I ran a factory Marlin 795 trigger albeit aftermarket peep sights to qualify at a local Project Appleseed event. So, everyone screaming “I nEeD 1.5 lBs So I cAn Be AcCuRaTe” needs to practice, practice, practice with their 3 - 5 lb factory trigger before deciding to cut/pull/replace/yank a spring from the action of their RAR. Rant OVER.

I'm not familiar with any of those competitions you've mentioned.

An exceptional shooter with an average rifle will typically do better than an average shooter with an exceptional rifle.

With that said, if you can feel the trigger causing shot-to-shot variance due to heavy pull weight why would you want to practice that way if you had the ability (and finances) to take the trigger out of the equation?

the_mule 07-07-2019 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick_W (Post 11536983)
I'm not familiar with any of those competitions you've mentioned.

An exceptional shooter with an average rifle will typically do better than an average shooter with an exceptional rifle.

With that said, if you can feel the trigger causing shot-to-shot variance due to heavy pull weight why would you want to practice that way if you had the ability (and finances) to take the trigger out of the equation?

I would say that I’m somewhere in the middle. I’m perhaps an average shooter with below average rifles. I do not “feel” the triggers causing shot-to-shot variance. I do notice however that sight alignment & breathing play more of a major role in shot-to-shot variance. Also, I do notice when I jerk or slap the trigger, but I think I have that just about under control. I leave the triggers alone & do just fine as an average shooter with below average rifles & pistols. YMMV.

P.S. I found a $100 bill on the ground today. Thinking of throwing it at the RAR somehow. Ammo maybe?

the_mule 07-07-2019 07:32 PM

Shot these two separately at 20 yds tonight, one shot each, standing, unsupported, iron sights, CCI quiet-22, & no trigger mods or adjustments.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...df4bbe6e5f.jpg

uscav8r 07-07-2019 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick_W (Post 11536923)

The Savage AccuTrigger is considered one of the best factory triggers out of the box. Just because the RAR trigger isn’t quite as good doesn’t mean it sucks! LOL

flangster 07-07-2019 07:40 PM

There are several ways to safely reduce the trigger pull on an RAR. A Google search will quickly show you the options and you can decide for yourself which is the right approach for you.

Rick_W 07-07-2019 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_mule (Post 11537047)
Shot these two separately at 20 yds tonight, one shot each, standing, unsupported, iron sights, CCI quiet-22, & no trigger mods or adjustments.

I can't see standard iron sights - it's all a blur. I can wear my distance lenses and mostly see the front sight or reading lenses and see the rear sight.

It's a great thing to be able to choose what mods we want to do, if any, to all the guns that we choose to own.

Do you shoot any competitions?

Rick_W 07-07-2019 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uscav8r (Post 11537049)
Just because the RAR trigger isn’t quite as good doesn’t mean it sucks! LOL

Who said it sucks?

uscav8r 07-07-2019 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick_W (Post 11537057)
Who said it sucks?

I just thought it a funny (and lopsided) comparison is all.

FWIW, I think the RAR has a pretty decent trigger. I do slightly prefer the trigger on my CZ Scout to that on my RAR Compact.

the_mule 07-07-2019 07:57 PM

QUOTE=Rick_W;11537055]I can't see standard iron sights - it's all a blur. I can wear my distance lenses and mostly see the front sight or reading lenses and see the rear sight.

It's a great thing to be able to choose what mods we want to do, if any, to all the guns that we choose to own.

Do you shoot any competitions?[/QUOTE]

Competitions? No. I have toddlers, man. Give me a few years. Haha.

Rick_W 07-07-2019 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uscav8r (Post 11537065)
I just thought it a funny (and lopsided) comparison is all.

FWIW, I think the RAR has a pretty decent trigger. I do slightly prefer the trigger on my CZ Scout to that on my RAR Compact.

As I stated in my post comparing the two, I'm just delving into the precision rimfire world.

In my local area the only samples I have to hold are from Ruger and Savage.

If Ruger is marketing a rifle as a "Target" rifle I would expect that trigger to be as good as the trigger on a base model Savage costing ~$200 less. Color me silly.

Rick_W 07-07-2019 08:28 PM

Quote:

Competitions? No. I have toddlers, man. Give me a few years. Haha.

I'm looking at the online competitions.

Print out a target and shoot it, then post a picture of your results.

wproct 07-07-2019 08:36 PM

I modified the trigger in my RAR .22 magnum rifle, not because it sucked, but because I wanted it a little bit better, and on the RAR it was very easy to do. As far as comparing the RAR to the Savage with accutrigger, there are reasons to choose the Ruger. First off, I like the plastic stock on the Ruger better than the Savage. IMO the Ruger is bedded better and it includes both a standard and montecarlo butt-stock module. I also much prefer the Ruger magazine to that of the Savage. Now, whether those things mentioned makes the Ruger worth the extra money, that's up to the buyer. I chose the Ruger RAR..