RimfireCentral.com Forums

RimfireCentral.com Forums (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Savage/Stevens (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Stevens 32 long and 25 stevens (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1187551)

gunlover_06 03-09-2020 09:00 PM

Stevens 32 long and 25 stevens

Ok guys I need a little help with these, I ran across a stevens 32 long and a 25 stevens, both rolling block single shots. The 32 long is in great shape the stock has minor scratches and dings, the blung is nice but not perfect.

The 25 has a little surface rust that I think will clean up good, it's missing a small piece off the butt plate but think I can replace it without much trouble.

Bores are a little dark but also think they will clean up good.

My question is I can't figure out exactly what models they are, I was thinking 44's but then also the 1915''s
Patented date on both show I believe august of 1894. I didn't get pictures to post as I was in a hurry.

What would you all think the value of both would be, I put them both on a layaway as cancer bills get most of my extra cash so this was the only way I could get them.

I will reveal prices for them after hearing you all opinion.

Thanks in advance for any and all help you give.

tfrank 03-10-2020 09:22 PM

My first guess...

My first guess would be Favorites. I have seen numerous Favorites chambered in 32 Long and 25 Stevens. Take a look at these 2. Both are 22 Long Rifle.
Top is a 1894, note the characteristic curved top of the breech block. The 1894 does have a 1915 style take down screw because all of the correct take down screws on eBay were too expensive.:(
Bottom one is a 1915, note the squarish shape of the breech block, but at least it has the correct take down screw!!!;)
https://i.imgur.com/SSovYrd.jpg
Post up some pictures if and when you can!!!
God Bless, Frank.

gunlover_06 03-11-2020 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tfrank (Post 11806907)
My first guess would be Favorites. I have seen numerous Favorites chambered in 32 Long and 25 Stevens. Take a look at these 2. Both are 22 Long Rifle.
Top is a 1894, note the characteristic curved top of the breech block. The 1894 does have a 1915 style take down screw because all of the correct take down screws on eBay were too expensive.:(
Bottom one is a 1915, note the squarish shape of the breech block, but at least it has the correct take down screw!!!;)
https://i.imgur.com/SSovYrd.jpg
Post up some pictures if and when you can!!!
God Bless, Frank.

Not sure I can post pictures don't gave a photo hosting site to upload to

tfrank 03-12-2020 05:53 PM

Email the pics to me...

Email the pics to me and I will post them for you!!!
God Bless, Frank.

Area51guy 03-12-2020 05:57 PM

Posting pictures.........

Quote:

Originally Posted by gunlover_06 (Post 11808111)
Not sure I can post pictures don't gave a photo hosting site to upload to

You can post directly from your PC! Use the paperclip icon at the top. Easy to do!

A square 10 03-12-2020 09:47 PM

thats a great pair , im not fond of obsolete calibers but i would never turn those away , congrats

tfrank 03-13-2020 06:19 PM

Well...

Quote:

Originally Posted by A square 10 (Post 11809125)
thats a great pair , im not fond of obsolete calibers but i would never turn those away , congrats

Well I can tell you this much... neither of those rifles are shooting obsolete cartridges!!! One has already been relined and the other will be relined, and they both have new fore and butt stocks and those are the obvious changes. Lots of internal work to go along with the cosmetic work.
God Bless, Frank.

aztarget 03-13-2020 07:27 PM

one of tfranks project.
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=472690

tfrank 03-14-2020 12:38 AM

Yup, that is one of them!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by aztarget (Post 11810267)

Yup, that is one of them!!! Now all I have to do is find where I have all those pictures that photobucket fuzzed up so you can't really see any detail and replace them with IMGUR hosted pictures. Found quite a few of them tonight!!!
God Bless, Frank.

TheMoff 03-24-2020 07:53 PM

If it's of any interest, about four years ago I paid £695 (pounds sterling) for my Stevens Favorite chambered in the original .32 long. Great condition, all original blueing, no dings on the furniture. Bought it here in the UK.

That's about 820 bucks at today's exchange rate, but would have been about 940 bucks about four years ago.

gcrank1 03-24-2020 08:46 PM

Really in 32 S&W Long?
Ive seen them in 32RF and 25RF, not in CF cartridges, likely I aint seen everything though....
Both obsolete, unobtainium ammo. The last 're-issue' of so e 32RF (long ago now) that I knew of was out of Brazil?, expensive and Dismal.
Either is reline-able to 22RF, the 32 easiest to drill for the liner but the 25 the original firing pin position may work. Gotta do some careful measurements.
Some have offset the liner breech end to have the firing pin hit the right spot.
Converting the breech-block to reposition for 22LR or to CF is an advanced project fraught with error potential.
Fwiw I know of a 1915 orig. in 32rf that was set up to run the 32 Colts CF ammo (same case dia. as the 32RF) by converting the firing pin to CF. That ammo became scarce so the current owner reamed it to the bit larger dia. 32 S&W. It works Ok with light loads but No Way would I do this with an earlier, weaker model. Reloaded 32 S&W ammo spikes pressure Very Quickly.

TheMoff 03-30-2020 03:25 PM

Hi gcrank1. You put some doubt in my mind, so Iíve just had a quick look again at my Stevens. Itís marked FAVORITE on top of the receiver and MODEL 1915 on the tang. Serial number is U 675. The barrel carries the marking 32-LONG, and itís definitely centrefire. Iíve just checked again with an old fired cartridge. So I guess this maybe isnít the right forum for it! :)

Anyway, Iíve been having quite a bit of trouble trying to load for it. Thereís a small entry in Cartridges of the World for the .32 Long (CF). The .32 Long (CF) does seem to be different from the .32 S&W Long, even though it says in CotW that .32 S&W Long will work in most rifles chambered for .32 Long (CF). Iíve tried a .32 S&W L case in the breech and the case diameterís just a bit too large.

Thanks for the warning about reloaded .32 S&W ammo. Iíll watch it, if I ever get to that stage. So far the only case that looks like a good fit is the British .300 Rook, although itíd need a trimming.

But I have another problem Ė the breech block doesnít drop down far enough to let a cartridge in. It almost does, but the case just binds slightly on the top edge of the block. I guess Iím going to have to take it to piecesÖ

gcrank1 03-30-2020 05:01 PM

Btdt!
The 32 RF was a smaller dia. case than the S&W 32 CF Short and Long using a heeled bullet the same dia as the case, just like our beloved 22RF's.
Once CF came onto the scene it appears Colt's used the basic case and perhaps the bullet, several guns chambered to 32 RF that I have messed about with chamber up the Colts Short and Long if the RF chamber is for 'longs'. You will find the case dimensions in CotW spec pages and pretty sure there is a write up on them in the obsolete cartridge section.
Since your breech block doesnt drop far enough to chamber a cartridge I suspect someone has raised the block via the actuating linkage beneath to get the RF firing pin high enough to hit a CF primer. Note that it would be even worse trying to chamber a larger dia. S&W 32 cartridge. You need to get that sorted..... It might be that the Colts 32 Short might clear the block where the Long wont?
Also note that the full dia. bullet for the S&W that fits into that case mouth will not work in the smaller dia. Colts case, it would expand the case too wide to fit.

gmd1950 03-31-2020 07:50 AM

Reading all this has me hankering for a Single shot .32 SW long or .32 H&R Magnum, something along the lines of a H&R Handirifle...;) Ah well its always something.

gcrank1 03-31-2020 09:15 AM

I was interested in the same, but what I really wanted was a light, trim, well balanced rifle as in the classic British 'rook and rabbit' rifles. The H&R is clubby, a full sized rifle and shotgun frame. Way back they had a smaller frame 410 that would be much better; Ive been looking for one to do a barrel stub job on for about 15yrs with no joy.
I do have several of the 'modern' H&R's (no longer made/gone under for good), they didnt make a 32 S&WLong or H&R Mag or 32-20 though 357Mag is a surprise, but heavy. If they would have made a 32 it would have been also.
My H&R '32' has turned out to be an older Mdl 63 'Mustang' in 30-30 handloaded down to 32-20 equiv. loads in cast lead or jacketed. Iirc they also made a similar Mdl 58(?), think the 63 was a 'deluxe' version. They were also offered in 22Hornet and could be had with either a 410 or 20ga. barrel to swap out. I have a 410 but wish it was a 20.
Back to the 1915 Fav., they were the last, best and strongest of the Favorites, yet, afaik, were not offered in a CF, 22, 25 and 32 Rf. The 32RF was a puny loading, but far more effective at typical open sight distance for small to med. game than a 22LR. As mentioned, akin to the British rook and rabbit cartridges. The 32 Colts short and longs in CF that should fit well were for their small pocket revolvers and only a slight 'improvement' in ballistics. Fme the factory loads tested were the same velo in short or long, there isnt much room under the heeled bullet for powder. As is typical with small, short cases the pressures will stack very quickly with modern smokeless powder; 1/10th of a grain too much can be too much (look up info on such in the 32acp reloads).
If you do end up finding that 32 Colts Shorts fit and you can find some cases and want to reload do so with caution. Stick to revolver loads (for the old, weak revolvers) and lighter end of bullet weights. Dont try to make a home-brew mini-magnum! Ive seen a breech block of a successful 1915 conversion split from just going up 'a smidge'. The rear of the swinging breech block is Not Well Supported to withstand higher pressures even though they look somewhat like the true 'falling blocks'.
With the light loads sizing dies are not required, just take the fully fire-formed to the chamber cases, decap, recap, throw a sneeze of powder and seat the lubed lead bullet by hand; load and shoot. But you have to find cases and the proper heeled bullets or a mould to cast your own.
So, as cool as these rifles are in 25 and 32, fme they are at their best in 22LR.