RimfireCentral.com Forums

RimfireCentral.com Forums (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Marlin Semiautomatic (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   Model 60 Charging Handle Problem (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1154249)

ky-shooter 03-12-2019 06:17 PM

Model 60 Charging Handle Problem

This isn't to be confused with the last shot hold open feature, that still seems to be working fine.

But on my previously flawless 2004 vintage Model 60 (bought 6 months ago in very good condition for $100 at a pawn shop) today I was unable to push the charging handle in to hold the bolt back in the most rearward position for cleaning. It wont push in to allow the bolt to stay back.

Any ideas what this might be or the seriousness of it? Still shoots and functions ok otherwise.
This gun has been jam-proof since I have had it and never chokes no matter the ammo. It is totally factory stock, unless something was done before I got it, but it still has the stiff factory trigger pull so I assume it hasnt been bothered internally. I have no optic on it and shoot it open sights.

Hope this is a simple matter, any insight appreciated.

oldcrotchety 03-12-2019 08:05 PM

If you can remove the action and then pull the bolt back and tilt the front of the bolt up slightly you can remove the charging handle. Make sure the small tab on the opposite end of the charging handle is still there. If you completely remove the bolt, being careful to not kink the spring, you can clean the receiver including the small round hole in the side of the receiver. The small hole is where the charging handle tab inserts to hold the bolt back. The hole may be gunked up.

mals9 03-12-2019 08:06 PM

Its possible that the indent to hold the charging handle back may be clogged or the nipple on the handle may be worn.

Mals

ky-shooter 03-12-2019 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldcrotchety (Post 11400413)
If you can remove the action and then pull the bolt back and tilt the front of the bolt up slightly you can remove the charging handle. Make sure the small tab on the opposite end of the charging handle is still there. If you completely remove the bolt, being careful to not kink the spring, you can clean the receiver including the small round hole in the side of the receiver. The small hole is where the charging handle tab inserts to hold the bolt back. The hole may be gunked up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mals9 (Post 11400415)
Its possible that the indent to hold the charging handle back may be clogged or the nipple on the handle may be worn.

Mals

Thanks guys, I will disassemble when time allows and look into it.

ky-shooter 03-13-2019 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldcrotchety (Post 11400413)

Quote:

Originally Posted by mals9 (Post 11400415)

Mals

Update--- I give this update with a red face and slight embarassment.

Went back to the range today to give the gun another try before disassembly and to my shock it worked fine today without a single hitch. I dont know what was wrong yesterday except to guess I was doing something wrong, possibly not pulling the bolt back far enough before attempting to push in the charging handle?
Or maybe there was some fouling in the hole in the receiver that dissolved or broke up?

Whatever the case, I am back to shooting. :Blasting_

Grayrock 08-23-2019 11:24 PM

Is this a similar assembly to the 99-M1? I thought I had read many moons ago that I could push the bolt handle in to hold it open. It has never worked for me. I have never taken it apart to clean deeply inside. This was my first real gun I received when I was a lad back in 1969 or so.

Big Shrek 10-13-2019 01:19 AM

Good that you are back shooting, but still take a moment to clean the action real well.

Also, DIP has a nice selection of Charging Handles...

peteyboy 10-13-2019 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grayrock (Post 11584923)
Is this a similar assembly to the 99-M1? I thought I had read many moons ago that I could push the bolt handle in to hold it open. It has never worked for me. I have never taken it apart to clean deeply inside. This was my first real gun I received when I was a lad back in 1969 or so.

Yes the action is the same. The bolt hold open feature was introduced I believe in 1969 or so. Several of my 99M1's and 989M2 produced in the mid 60's do not have the bolt hold open feature. You have to fabricate a piece about 1 1/2" long to hold the bolt open to clean the barrel unless you take the complete assembly apart.
BTW, there should be a two digit alpha code on the barrel just in front of the hand guard that equates to the month and year of production.