RimfireCentral.com Forums

RimfireCentral.com Forums (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bench Techniques and Equipment (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Weigh your .22 LR ammo? (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1194893)

AKASL 05-30-2020 01:30 PM

Weigh your .22 LR ammo?

I've recently started shooting Long Range .22 Rim Fire and I am doing my research to see what others are doing to help improve accuracy.

When qualifying ammo do you measure the rim thickness and sort?

When qualifying ammo do you weigh each round and sort by weight?

Let me know and thanks in advance.

AKASL
LIVE FREE OR DIE

Al the Infidel 05-30-2020 01:33 PM

Waste of time. More better to get a chrono.

ETA- Jala has a good thread in the long range forum of 50 @ 200 yds.

rc. 05-30-2020 03:34 PM

Chrono your ammo and do lot testing. Weight has about as much effect to 22 LR ammo as a stiff breeze on a 3006 to 100 yards..... not much. The case, powder and bullet all vary so much you have no tangible improvement sorting by weight. Been there, done that, major fail here!

A chronograph on the other hand will tell you if your extreme spread is low. If you get extreme spread under 20 and Sandard deviation under 10 you have a great lot of ammo!

vicfox 05-30-2020 03:50 PM

The better ammo has minimal variations generally in all measurables like Midas + Tenex but I weight sort my SK + that I shoot for practice as there is greater variation and I believe it is worth the effort to eliminate what might turn out to be a flyer.

First project it to establish what ammunition your rifle likes then what lots of that flavour is the sweet stuff.

Lot testing is most valuable.

Hi-NV Shooter 05-30-2020 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vicfox (Post 11907997)
The better ammo has minimal variations generally in all measurables like Midas + Tenex but I weight sort my SK + that I shoot for practice as there is greater variation and I believe it is worth the effort to eliminate what might turn out to be a flyer.

First project it to establish what ammunition your rifle likes then what lots of that flavour is the sweet stuff.

Lot testing is most valuable.

If you ever talk to CFBR shooters they will tell you by manipulating the bullets engagement to the lands of the barrel they can alter performance of that load.
in rim fire if you measure the bullets engraving and see how much your rifle's barrel likes you can do the same.
IMO this is the only practical measuring of .22lr that actually works.

Lee

FlysAlot 05-30-2020 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AKASL (Post 11907809)
I've recently started shooting Long Range .22 Rim Fire and I am doing my research to see what others are doing to help improve accuracy.

When qualifying ammo do you measure the rim thickness and sort?

When qualifying ammo do you weigh each round and sort by weight?

Let me know and thanks in advance.

AKASL
LIVE FREE OR DIE

I donít see any downside. I weigh my Remington ammo by the box.

Gizmo60 05-30-2020 06:37 PM

Have a good Google on the subject; plenty of info and opinions out there.

The general consensus seems to be that weighting/measuring .22 rim-fire ammo is a complete waste of time and effort.

Some reports suggest it may give better results with using expensive high end QC ammo to begin with.

You would be better off using your valuable time in lot testing.

Giz:)

Al the Infidel 05-31-2020 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlysAlot (Post 11908137)
I donít see any downside. I weigh my Remington ammo by the box.

By the bucket will add more range time Boss. :bthumb:

:D

Nick7274 05-31-2020 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al the Infidel (Post 11907815)
Waste of time. More better to get a chrono.

+1 Or better yet just buy high end ammo. Weighing ammo only tells you the difference in weight. It doesn't tell you that one round may weigh less because it has less primer compound, powder, or lead.

IHMSA80x80 05-31-2020 02:16 PM

Complete waste of time. Buy decent ammo to start with.

The only weighing I do with Remington ammo is to weigh whether to throw them in the trash or in the creek.

Arrowhead 05-31-2020 02:29 PM

Yep, taking a nap instead of weighing or measuring is a better use of time. Bite the bullet so to speak and buy better ammo. Itís not really that expensive when compared to center fire ammo.

Jammer22 05-31-2020 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IHMSA80x80 (Post 11909079)
The only weighing I do with Remington ammo is to weigh whether to throw them in the trash or in the creek.

Such hate for Big Green! :D:D:D:D

pump .22s 05-31-2020 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jammer22 (Post 11909149)
Such hate for Big Green! :D:D:D:D

It would be the best rimfire ammo made.......if all other manufacturers quiet the business....:D ;)

As far as sorting ammo by weight to improve accuracy, it is something I would only recommend if you enjoy doing something just for the fun of it. Otherwise, it is pretty much a waste of time in my opinion. Too many variables that affect weight of each round....all of which can impact accuracy.

earnest 05-31-2020 08:01 PM

waste of time, most things in life what you pay for usually you get. "buy once cry once" marty

Trailboss 05-31-2020 08:39 PM

"Weigh your .22 LR ammo?"

Sorry, no scale large enough...