Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Browning 1911-22 vs Walther Colt 1911-22

9K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  LorenatBMS 
#1 ·
The title says it all . I’m interested in a 1911-22 .
Which is the better , more reliable of the two ?
Who makes the Browning 1911-22 ?
Anybody own both ?
Or should I stay away from both ? Kirby

#3 ·
I own both Kirby and trying to compare them is apples and oranges.

The Browning is a keepsake, an extremely well built 85% copy of the original 1911 design. It's a joy to hold although very small in large hands and reasonably fun to shoot although the fixed sights seem tiny and are problematic for me and my geezer eyes. I liked the first one so much that I bought a second for my 4'11" daughter...fits her like a glove. A beautiful and unusual finely made handgun.

The Walther/Umarex Colt clones come in a variety of flavors. Mine is the Gold Cup and was half the price of the Browning ($250ish.) For an economy hand gun I have nothing but good things to say about it. Excellent full size rendition of the original 1911 design and a superb suppressor host. It eats any ammo I throw at it including standard velocity and is accurate enough that I wouldn't be embarrassed to shoot it in bullseye competition. Money well spent is my last word.

So boiling the frog, do you want a miniaturized heirloom or a very functional knock around piece?

Frank

#4 ·
Walther/Colt

The Browning is 85% of a full size 1911.
I've had excellent luck with my Walther/Colt Gold Cup Trophy which is full size. Bought new in 2012, I have many thousands of rounds through it. This is a recent target and it still shoots very well. It accompanies me to every range visit and they make great plinkers.

Attachments

#5 ·
i am sure the browning is excellent, BUT

it is NOT full size and has tiny sights so I have heard. it is very expensive compared to the GSG and COLT gold cup. I have owned both the GSG and COLT, for the money the COLT is superior in MY OPINION. GSG very nice, but COLT is nicer, better fit, finish, more dependable. I traded off my GSG, kept the COLT. I have looked at the BROWNING, just too expensive for what it is. I would rather own a full size .22 1911.

#8 ·
I can't speak about the colt as I have never owned one. I have shot one a few times and it seemed OK to me. I have owned the GSG and several Browning's and have used all for suppressor host's. I have large hands and always buy L or Xl gloves and I really like the smaller Browning and it is works absolutely flawlessly with all ammo SV or HV that I have tried. I sold the GSG and bought a 2nd Browning.

#14 ·
browning 1911 .22

is a beautiful LITTLE pistol. I looked at them , very expensive with poor sights. I wanted a full size .22 1911 so I went with a GSG. nice inexpensive full size gun. then the walther/colt gold cup caught my eye at a decent price, sold the GSG. I just like the feel and looks of the colt, seems to be excellent quality. mine ran 100% out of the box, and continues to do so. accurate too. I have nothing against the browning at all , except it is too small for me. I think for the money, the colt is the best buy, just my observation.

#15 ·
I was surprised at the size of the full size Colt 1911-22 . I expected it to be huge from the posts I’ve read .
I think I made the right choice , I’m afraid the smaller Browning would have been too small for what I was wanting.
The Colt has a great feel to it .
Kirby

#20 · (Edited)
Shot my new Colt today . I like it a lot !
Started off with a box of Blazers , no issues.
Then I shot two boxes of Federal American Eagle, no issues.
Next , half box of Velocitors. They were fun , and with no issues.
Then half box of 20 year old Stingers and I had my first issue . A failure to fire . Tried it three times and brother tried it in his Savage bolt action rifle . Nothing a dud . Not the pistol's fault .
Next I switched to a box of Aguila HV and had my first and only jam on the second shot . First shot empty shell failed to eject . But , I went on and shot the whole box of Aguila without another problem .
Overall, it was a total successful outing with my Colt 1911-22 .
I'd buy another .
Trigger is a little heavy , but not bad .
Accuracy is better than I can shoot . Elevation at 10 yards was dead on , windage had to be moved to the right about two inches .
Fun range gun ! Kirby
48 shots at 7 yards

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.