RimfireCentral.com Forums

RimfireCentral.com Forums (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mk IV (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=377)
-   -   Mark IV rear sight alignment on receiver issue (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=853881)

Dakota Dan 02-03-2017 08:07 PM

Mark IV rear sight alignment on receiver issue

2 Attachment(s)
There have been a number of posts regarding rear sight problems with the various Mark series of pistols. Here is my experience with a Mark IV Target I bought two weeks ago. The first time at the range (inside) was just a quick function test and it was shooting to the right consistently from a distance of about 20-30 feet. The second time (outside with some wind) I tried to adjust the windage to correct the hits and made a little progress bringing them more towards center but not completely so. Since it was pretty cold, I quit. Several days ago, I thought to try again at the inside range and despite turning the windage screw clockwise quite a bit could not hit the center of the target without aiming to the left.

Slowly (very slowly!!) coming to the conclusion that this was unusual I finally thought to really LOOK at the rear sight and compare it to my Mark III 22/45 which has shot dead on, out of the box, without any adjustments required. I thought all Rugers did.:)

Below is a photo of my Mark IV rear sight position on the receiver followed by one of my Mark III 22/45. I apologize for the quality.

Attachment 62153

Attachment 62161

Believe it or not, looking at the Mark IV in a perfunctorily fashion, it does not look as bad as the photos make it appear — until I finally had the rear sight blade way over to the left (it is back towards the center in the photo). The black sight on the dark receiver probably had something to do with it. Plus it took me a while to figure out the issue. My brain is old!

Anyway, the sight seemed tight in the receiver and I could not get the rear sight base set screw to turn in either direction. Afraid of stripping the screw I decided to let Ruger fix it. I called customer service and the gal I spoke to was very pleasant saying Ruger would send a new sight if I damaged the set screw. I explained that it probably was not the sight itself that was the problem, but its position off center on the receiver AND that I couldn’t get it off anyway since the set screw would not move. After putting me on hold briefly and consulting someone, she sent a prepaid label and off to Arizona via FedEx it went today. I think it was just one of those things in the QA process that was missed. Took me about ten days to figure it out!

The pistol so far has functioned flawlessly — although I could not hit what I was aiming at! Can’t wait to get it back.

xdm9mm 02-03-2017 11:42 PM

looks like the rear sight (main body -not the blade) is not centered to begin with...

Dakota Dan 02-04-2017 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xdm9mm (Post 8088985)
looks like the rear sight (main body -not the blade) is not centered to begin with...

Exactly. I failed to make that clear in my original post. You can see how the bolt stop pin does not align with the U shaped dip on the rear part of the sight. Compare the position/alignment of the bolt stop pin and sight on the 22/45.

I did not appeciate the entire sight being off center to the right and continued with my attempts to adjust the windage screw, which of course would never have corrected the real problem. I only had put about 250 rounds total through the pistol. Since the sight body seemed very secure in the receiver, could the entire sight have drifted even more to the right with so few rounds. It just was not that obvious (or I was just oblivious) when I originally took it out of the box.

weblance 02-04-2017 10:01 AM

This is exactly what happens when you decide to set manufacturing records, and pump out 2 million pieces of crap in one year. I'm sure ol Bill would be very proud. My best friend bought a brand new Mark IV and asked me how to get a sight picture. When I looked at his new pistol, there was NO SIGHT BLADE. The sight body was there, but no blade. WAY TO GO Ruger.

Apparently that employee was able to pass the initial pre employment drug test, but doesn't have a clue what a rear sight blade is...

SGW Gunsmith 02-04-2017 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weblance (Post 8090513)
This is exactly what happens when you decide to set manufacturing records, and pump out 2 million pieces of crap in one year. I'm sure ol Bill would be very proud. My best friend bought a brand new Mark IV and asked me how to get a sight picture. When I looked at his new pistol, there was NO SIGHT BLADE. The sight body was there, but no blade. WAY TO GO Ruger.

Apparently that employee was able to pass the initial pre employment drug test, but doesn't have a clue what a rear sight blade is...

Seriously? Because of a rear sight not being centered, 2 millions guns are all CRAP? WOW!

flphotog 02-04-2017 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SGW Gunsmith (Post 8090593)
Seriously? Because of a rear sight not being centered, 2 millions guns are all CRAP? WOW!

Agree, OK, shouldn't happen but it's a quick easy fix.

BigTexasOne 02-04-2017 11:04 PM

I had the very same issue with my Mk IV 22/45. my rear sight was offset considerably to the left, in my case, and the front sight was loose and pivoted around it's screw while at the range. Fixed, loktited, and shooting like a dream, now. Ive put about 100 rounds of sub sonic CCI, 100 rounds of CCI MiniMag, and probably 350 rounds of the Federal White Box 325 round stuff, with no issues since the first 50 rounds, a few failure to feed, in my opinion caused by the new magazines not being broken in, yet. Nothing since;

BigTexasOne 02-06-2017 03:55 PM

Today, at the range, my shot placement started wandering off, and sure enough, my rest sight has once again drifted left. Going to a gunsmith now, but wondering if I should just send it you Ruger

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

BigTexasOne 02-06-2017 03:57 PM

Rear sight, not rest, stupid auto correct

xdm9mm 02-06-2017 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTexasOne (Post 8109161)
Today, at the range, my shot placement started wandering off, and sure enough, my rest sight has once again drifted left. Going to a gunsmith now, but wondering if I should just send it you Ruger

Have you tightened the small screw on the left of the rear sight?

JStacy 02-06-2017 10:12 PM

I have used a drop or permatex under a rear sight before to keep it from moving and it can be removed with solvent. However the rear sight usually can be held nicely by the small locking screw on the left side of the rear sight. Before I tighten it I put a small drop of blue lock tite on the set screw and hardly ever had a sigh move around on me.

BigTexasOne 02-07-2017 10:13 AM

Yes, I have tried centering and then tightening the set screw, but the sight is still loose enough in the dovetail that I can move it with my thumb. I just got off the phone with Ruger customer service, and I'm sending it back to them for inspection, and repair. In addition to the looseness, yesterday, the rear sight elevation seized up, and there is no movement of any kind no matter what I do to the adjustment screw.
Even if the screw is loosened to it's max, the sight does not rise. So, probably a faulty sight, but Ruger has great customer service, so, I'll let them fix it.

donnieboy 02-07-2017 07:05 PM

Dakota, glad you discovered the issue. One suggestion you may wish to consider long term, is replacing the factory rear sight with an improved and accurate adjustable rear sight. One without backlash in the adjustment and excessive tolerance within the sight itself. This suggestion has nothing to do with base misalignment within its dovetail.

SGW Gunsmith 02-08-2017 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donnieboy (Post 8117553)
Dakota, glad you discovered the issue. One suggestion you may wish to consider long term, is replacing the factory rear sight with an improved and accurate adjustable rear sight. One without backlash in the adjustment and excessive tolerance within the sight itself. This suggestion has nothing to do with base misalignment within its dovetail.

Hmmm. Can you elaborate on that? Backlash? Where?

Dakota Dan 02-13-2017 05:11 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Got the pistol back today. Looks good with the sight properly aligned. Here is the repair report from Ruger plus the targets. The black bullseye measures 1.75 inches in diameter.

Will need to try myself this week.