RimfireCentral.com Forums

RimfireCentral.com Forums (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Kimber (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   82G new to me (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1158491)

smithrjd 04-20-2019 04:42 PM

82G new to me

Finally got the Kimber home and giving it the once over. Bolt was already cleaned out and oiled/greased. Firing pin protrusion? Not quite to the end of the bolt, but does look less than the width of a rimfire rim. Good enough? Also the barrel is over to the left side of the stock, not really centered. Should I move the recoil lug over a bit? It would appear that it would be what centers the barrel in the channel. Thought I might try that before doing any wood working. Trigger is stock, but feels very nice, will shoot it some before any trigger work.

JHinman 04-20-2019 05:34 PM

I expect that you will really like it!

The trigger is adjustable. When I let people shoot mine they are always surprised. Maybe, because it looks so clunky they expect the trigger to be clunky.

Beauty is as beauty does!

M2HB 04-20-2019 09:40 PM

I have a few of them and they are a great value.

BMosely 04-24-2019 06:43 PM

Your “To Do” list. Get busy.

https://live.staticflickr.com/4840/4...b7eafb1797.jpg6F23CD3A-46E4-404F-B4BC-8F99EBE6F44A by Bert Mosely, on Flickr

smithrjd 04-25-2019 12:48 AM

I am actually working through that list. It has a very good trigger, 2#'s or less with no creep. I will address that later if needed. It has a new cocking screw and several spares. Bolt is clean with a new spring and well lubed. New action screws not interfering, hex heads not slots. The only thing I can notice that I don't like is the barrel is not centered in the stock. It is over to the left. Still free floated but not by much. Perhaps bedding is next.

smithrjd 05-04-2019 05:34 PM

Working on the "list", had it out to the range and am rather pleased. No problem with 1/2" for 10 at 50. May bed the rifle with pillars. Replacing the cheap Tasco 6X24 that I had around from a trade rifle with a Mueller 8X32 target. Wondering about refinishing the stock, it has some nice walnut but a poor finish, not bad just plain. Some stain and tru-oil would make it much nicer. Doubt that originality is that much of an issue with these, but prices have been going up.

Bob4BVM 05-07-2019 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smithrjd (Post 11469189)
Working on the "list", had it out to the range and am rather pleased. No problem with 1/2" for 10 at 50. May bed the rifle with pillars. Replacing the cheap Tasco 6X24 that I had around from a trade rifle with a Mueller 8X32 target. Wondering about refinishing the stock, it has some nice walnut but a poor finish, not bad just plain. Some stain and tru-oil would make it much nicer. Doubt that originality is that much of an issue with these, but prices have been going up.

You'll likely find some nice wood under the mud Kimber put on it. IIWY i'd skip the stain, and let the grain shine thru. Do yourself a huge favor & check out the "Woodstocks Elixir" thread down in stockmaking forum before you do any finishing ! WIth that finish and copious sanding down to 800g, you'll have a beauty.

All the best,
Bob4BVM
http://i.imgur.com/8su2RHO.jpg

smithrjd 05-07-2019 03:26 PM

Bob4BVM,
Did you use a chemical stripper on the 82G stock first? Or just sanding?

Bob4BVM 05-19-2019 11:58 PM

sandpaper ? yeah , eventually
Stripper ? no, I guess I was a bit more aggressive than that, but all worked out in the end.
Rest of the story is here-

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...=491135&page=2

Bob

IHMSA80x80 05-20-2019 12:30 AM

Neat guns! Some of them shoot very well.

M2HB 05-20-2019 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IHMSA80x80 (Post 11486807)
Neat guns! Some of them shoot very well.

I would say yours shoots the best.

IHMSA80x80 05-20-2019 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M2HB (Post 11486933)
I would say yours shoots the best.

There's that possibility, but it isn't exactly stock. Or, I should say, as manufactured. :D

kseatm 05-20-2019 12:29 PM

Dean,

I know you used to shoot that gun in BR50. Do you still shoot it in any matches (ARA, IR, PSL)? If so, how does it do?

I know you're a great shooter. And from seeing the pictures of the gun and reading about it's history, always wondered how mine stacked up to it. Just a curiosity thing. Other than a Harrel tuner and a flat plate on the bottom, mine is pretty much stock. I have shot it with an aftermarket trigger a few times in matches, but never enough to say it helped or hurt. Focused on using my more purpose driven rifles around that time frame. Would be neat to see how "Ms Chunky" compares to something like yours. Would love to sit side by side with you and these two rifles just to see what they could do. Am sure you'd clean my clock, but that is what makes it fun for me.

If you wouldn't mind, could you send a pm about how it scores in matches?

Not in any way deriding your rifle or you. Just curious to see if mine is really an anomaly or just an average gun.

Thanks

Kenny

smithrjd 05-20-2019 06:26 PM

Well it is refinished, and there is some nice figure in the wood. Used the magic elixir (Amour All and Tru Oil) It really does work well. Now trying to find some front sight inserts, measuring them they are 15.9mm .635. I have heard Anschutz sights will work, but believe them to be 17mm. Anyone tried them?

kseatm 05-20-2019 06:49 PM

Not sure you want to spend the money, but if you want something really cool, go to Champions Choice and order one of the Euro adjustable front sights. The 18mm models screw right in to the Kimber globe and you never have to worry about inserts again. Another advantage is you can change the size in a second or two. Have used them for years and love the things.

Just another option.

Kenny