RimfireCentral.com Forums

RimfireCentral.com Forums (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Open Rimfire (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   LGS buying guns (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1177307)

natman 11-21-2019 10:15 AM

Selling your gun to a gun dealer for cash is like selling your car to a car dealer for cash - you're going to get a rock bottom price, so the convenience had better be worth it to you. Don't do it unless you are desperate for quick cash.

Selling it directly is the best way, consider using an auction site like GunBroker.

Next best is putting it up for consignment. Get the terms of the consignment IN WRITING. When I worked in a gun shop, we loved consignment because it allowed us to have an inventory of used guns to attract customers without having to invest any money.

djcnaz01 11-21-2019 02:21 PM

I notice that no one has mentioned RFCs Trading Post. For reasonably priced firearms and other shooting items, the Trading Post has been pretty good for me. No cost to you for listing and/or selling. Lots of members, but not the volume of gunbroker, etc. The last firearm I sold on gunbroker sold for a couple of thousand and I was charged over a hundred to sell it. I tried the trading post, but higher priced firearms may take a lot longer to sell. Plus, my FFL only ships via UPS and that was another $75. Handguns are a pain to ship unless a LGS will do post office shipping. You can ship long guns your self to most places for cheap.

JME, djc

HUSHKABOOM 11-21-2019 02:23 PM

I have been selling a few rimfires on consignment at a local shop. I took in 10 last March and the shop sold 6 soon after. 2 more sold over time and one just sits there looking good. I took in 8 more and several sold soon after. I think 6 are just sitting waiting for a buyer. Small shop without a lot of traffic. The shop gets 15% and that has worked out well for me because he is getting higher prices that I would have asked for if I was selling them myself. Also here in Oregon we cant do private party sales without going through an FFL and they generally charge $25+ to do the transfer. I am surprised by what sells and what sits. Only problem I have had is that a front sight turned up missing from a BRNO 1 at the last gun show that the shop owner had a table at.

bowwild 11-21-2019 06:17 PM

I talked to the fellows at my local Cabelas Gun Library about this. They find book value and then offer 80%. At least that's what they told me.

I've only done this once. I traded a Coope Jackson SR (wood) .17hmr and $12 for a new Kimber Adirondack. I didn't know much about Gun Broker at that time and probably could have done a few hundred better had I sold it there and then bought the Kimber there.

I do love the super light Adirondack though (.308). This was about 4 years ago.

Marlin567994 11-22-2019 08:15 AM

A few things:

My local guy charges 10% on consigned guns. Hypothetically, if you want $1000 for something, he'll stick $1100 on it and will any pass any reasonable offers to you. He has 3 different color tags: new, used and consigned

There are always 3 prices on a firearm
1. what the owner thinks it worth
2. what someone will pay for it in a private sale
3. what a dealer will pay you for it to stick it on his rack
Potentially a 4th
4. Lord, after I'm gone, please don't let my wife sell my guns for what she thinks I paid for them

Sales, not listings, on Gunbroker are a good source of value. Amoskeag Auction has a good search tool to find sold for pricing as well

If you do have something of value or historical and take it to be appraised, it is completely unethical for the appraiser to then offer to buy it. Huge red flag

Plinkhead 11-22-2019 04:16 PM

One local shop charged me 20% when I put two shotguns on consignment...and I priced them really low to sell quickly. They had 50+ used long guns on the racks but mine weren't (ever) on display when I checked. After a couple weeks I asked where my guns were...their answer was "being cleaned first". 2-3 months later, still not on display.

I finally found out one of their employees was taking my guns to gun shows under a private sale, jacking the price up over and above our agreed selling price and pocketing the difference. When no gun shows were happening they kept my guns (high quality and rare) out of sight. Mine were used as gun show inventory and never displayed for sale in the shop. That was an old established gun shop for decades but folded a short time later. If I ever consign anything again I will be more careful in the details.

M2HB 11-22-2019 05:08 PM

I always have dealt with reputable dealers who display my firearms before I leave the store.

Rstreib 11-22-2019 07:18 PM

Thanks for all the responses. I have been able to find one LGS who is willing to sell guns on consignment for 20% of sale price. I need to ask if seller can set a minimum.

CamP 11-22-2019 07:20 PM

Armslist is the best way to sell guns in my area.

HUSHKABOOM 11-22-2019 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rstreib (Post 11679411)
Thanks for all the responses. I have been able to find one LGS who is willing to sell guns on consignment for 20% of sale price. I need to ask if seller can set a minimum.

The shop I have mine consigned at works with me to set prices and they don't drop the prices without consulting with me. I have authorized him to come down up to 10% as needed to make a deal. What I often see is a gun owner that puts to high a price on the consigned gun and it just sits on the shelf forever. The shop I have consigned at does some of the bigger local gun shows and I allow him to take my rifles to the shows. He has sold maybe 6 at the shop and 6 at the shows .They are not private sales they have to do the federal paperwork at Oregon gun shows.

tbates66 11-23-2019 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loke (Post 11677851)
At our store the policy is that we will try to determine what we can sell the item for, and offer the seller 60% of that amount for a cash out, or 70% for a trade toward a purchase. Sales tax is charged on the difference, so that is an additional 7.25% value to the customer. We explain that to the seller before an offer is made, and I share with them what I believe our retail price will be for the firearm. I don't feel even a little bit bad when they decline to sell a gun to us.

This fair and typical. My LGS charges 30%. I've never had any luck selling on consignment, even after lowering the prices at 2 different LGS. Go figure. The best of the two will not trade for a gun they cannot sell. I tried to trade a nearly new R51 Remington. They wouldn't touch it because they had trouble getting rid of new ones at bargain prices. We generally know who tries to low-ball us and who makes decent offers. Just keep in mind that they are trying to make a living and we are just trying to get rid of something we no longer want. I always feel fortunate that I live in a place where I have the freedom to buy and trade guns without anyone's permission.

kevintaylor 11-23-2019 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by comfisherman (Post 11677555)
Had a few friends who had a small shop back in the day, they never payed 60% of what they thought they could move it for. Not a desirable or hot selling item, expect less.

In college I worked in a small gun shop, and our guideline was if you by it for cash, pay as little as possible, but no more than 50% of what it will sell for in 6 months. In trades, we did 50% of value, but if gun being bought was a sleeper, something on the shelf more than a year, it could be as much as 70%, get the old stock out the door!

A business is doing well with pre tax profits at 8 to 10 percent, but there are many things they have to cover other than the cost of the product they sell. A sole proprietorship, will need higher than that, unless they are grossing millions!

kevintaylor 11-23-2019 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loke (Post 11677851)
"................. I don't feel even a little bit bad when they decline to sell a gun to us.

When I worked in a gun shop, I never tried to justify my offer to the customer. I simply stated. At this time, on this item, we can pay $XXX.XX.

The customer does not care that business is slow, he knows the economy sucks, or he would not be there. He also doesn’t care if you will have the gun until the auction, after the owner passes. He wants cash, right now.

On a side note, I got to educate a Cabela’s store manager about buying guns. He offered a terrible price, and said the check will take a week to 10 days. They were using a 7 year old “Blue book of gun values” and trying for 25% of poor to .... value.

When a person is selling his guns, they are back against the wall, I got to ....... buy groceries, maybe pay the bookie. But they need cash now!

I think there is a commercial about that.

There is a balance with I need to make money, andI need to support my clientele. a business that does not support the community will struggle.

Oops, sorry, I will get off my soap box.

Kevin

bangbang 11-23-2019 08:35 PM

From what i have heard from LGS and at Gun Shows, it will vary.

if you have anything special, then i would sell it yourself, if you dont mind the work. Or if you have a friend that has an account on one of the gun auction/sellign sites you can try there too

CamP 11-24-2019 02:01 PM

Something to consider is handling wear your firearm will sustain when you consign it. Dont be surprised if it comes back with some dings and/or scratches if it doesn't sell.