RimfireCentral.com Forums

RimfireCentral.com Forums (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   CZ / Brno (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Cutting 452 american barrel down? (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1140565)

Toomany22s 11-08-2018 02:50 PM

You all are being too nice.

When you cut it ,save the cut off ,you can weld it back on again.

You asked, we told you itís a crummy idea, youíll be sorry, you can buy another gun for the same amount of money itís going to cost you to do this. This is not a first timer diy project.

How is this 4 inches getting in your way? unless you are extraordinarily short or tall pointed down is pointed down or up is up which is where the muzzle should be if your moving.Are you dragging in inthe dirt, poking the ceiling?

Ps you do know there is a choke point in these barrels, like the anschutz and thatís why they are extremely accurate.its usually 2 inches back from the muzzel. Donít cut off the choke point! You will be sorry!

And if you cut it off your hair will never grow back:D

Did you know that short barrels cause you to go cross eyed?

Additionally, CZ Protective Services will separate you and your rifle and there will be other fines and penalties involved.

There are a million reasons not to do this. And only one to do it. Your impulse. Has that ever worked out for you?

Hunter2678 11-08-2018 02:57 PM

my friend is a gunsmith its getting done professionally........if I decide to go through with it..gonna follow my mom's advice when I was a kid & sleep on it for now. lemme tell ya..that extra 4 inches hangs up in the woods like a CB antenna on a car goin through a carwash...Im short legged and long torsoed. **** near Dorf like!

Hunter2678 11-08-2018 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 65BR (Post 11223851)
Get a Youth, OR, perhaps consider a Ruger American, with 18" - sure handle well in the woods ;)

FWIW, I like 17-20" for field use....good luck whatever you do.

Yuuuuck!!:eek:

DGNY 11-08-2018 03:05 PM

I tend to think that the question you pose conceals a wonderful opportunity. Rather than a barrel reduction of the rifle that you own, consider converting a few greenbacks into a new asset - in the form of a 452 or 455 Scout.

That way your American will have a fine companion and you can play them off one against the other - for best accuracy and best handling in the field.

My 452 Scout is a bit more accurate than my 452 Lux, and I have yet to wring out my new-to-me 452 trainer. But I assure you, that in my case, the feeling of accomplishment is fuller in acquiring a rifle rather than in irrevocably altering one, when it is already very accurate.

Good luck,

Dyson

wkd 11-08-2018 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hunter2678 (Post 11223899)
my friend is a gunsmith its getting done professionally........if I decide to go through with it..gonna follow my mom's advice when I was a kid & sleep on it for now. lemme tell ya..that extra 4 inches hangs up in the woods like a CB antenna on a car goin through a carwash...Im short legged and long torsoed. **** near Dorf like!

If you were to find yourself in a position where you needed crutches and they were 4 inches too long would you leave them as is? My bet would be that you'd cut them to your needs!

Al the Infidel 11-08-2018 03:33 PM

I say cut it if thats what you want. The naysayers been around since circumcision became popular. :D Since you have a good smith have him slug it first would be my 2Ę.

Glenfiddich 11-08-2018 04:08 PM

New here, a senior citizen, it your's, do as you wish........but once it's done it's done.

R4B1DM4U53 11-08-2018 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wkd (Post 11223793)
Will it be more accurate, maybe, if done properly there should be no loss in accuracy.

:yeahthat: If the bore is tapered properly, you can cut and crown to any length and enjoy the same accuracy potential. This job calls for slugging the barrel, if a smooth, even, slightly tightening taper from breech to muzzle is found, go ahead and cut to desired length. If some variation in bore diameter is found, cut the muzzle where the bore tightens up near the length you want, but dont get hung up on "the barrel must be exactly 16.000"", it'll have to be what it needs to be, 16.43", 15.75", wherever gets the muzzle being the tightest spot in the barrel. If you have a tight spot just behind the crown and it opens up to the muzzle, you could have problems.

Someone said something about CZs and AnschŁtz barrels having a "choke" at the muzzle that you shouldn't cut off... fake news. Production facilities do not put that effort into their barrels, and while I don't doubt that some examples anecdotally have a choke in them, the existence of such is coincidental, not by design. I've slugged three Annie barrels and they were all different. One was the ideal gradually tightening taper, no choke. One was like a speed bump tight-loose-tight-loose-tight to loosening up out the crown, dud barrel. The other did apparently have a choke, a 64 MSR barrel that has a swell in diameter at the muzzle. Theory is removing metal on the barrel profile behind the swell allows the bore to expand while the untouched portion remains tight, creating the choke. Intentional? Maybe not, as the swell is dovetailed to accept a globe sight and align it with the rear peep. Point is, you are going to find considerable variations in the bore diameter consistency in factory made, non hand lapped barrels. Slug your barrel and base your decision on those results.

Clem-E 11-08-2018 06:43 PM

CZ used to make a 16" threaded 452 american. we had one, it was good for 1 MOA. my 452 varmint, my buddies 452 varmint and my 22" 452 american have all shot well under 1/2 MOA. so a shorter barrel doesnt mean it will shoot more accurately, and with the hammer forged barrels when you thread them it does induce some choke. i also have 2 anschutz match rifles that are very long barrels and they are very good shooters. 1 better than everything i own, typically 1/4 MOA. the other shoots with my sub 1/2 MOA CZs and 10/22s. if it were mine and shoots good, i would leave it alone and buy something else if you want shorter.

ODEN2 11-08-2018 08:42 PM

452 16" Threaded

I got one and YOU CAN'T HAVE IT! It's my favorite rifle bar none. With a suppressor its deathly quiet and amazingly accurate, not quite up to my 452 thumbhole varmint at 100 yds but almost.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I just felt like bragging.:D

As for the OPs problem, I'd buy a Scout and an American stock, small riflle in a full size stock, but that's just me and I always make the wrong choice.:o

charles

Toomany22s 11-08-2018 08:47 PM

All these guys saying go ahead , itís your gun, do what you want, it will be fine....

Are the same guys who told you to jump off the garage roof . How did that work out?

No one has said , thatíll make it more accurate, more valuable, better. Just a , if you donít screw it up it might be ok. But go ahead.

They are waiting for the soun of your collarbone snapping as you hit the ground.

wkd 11-08-2018 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toomany22s (Post 11224393)
All these guys saying go ahead , itís your gun, do what you want, it will be fine....

Are the same guys who told you to jump off the garage roof . How did that work out?

No one has said , thatíll make it more accurate, more valuable, better. Just a , if you donít screw it up it might be ok. But go ahead.

They are waiting for the soun of your collarbone snapping as you hit the ground.

WOW! Seriously! Keep in mind it is his gun not yours and after all, it's not the Hope diamond and is replaceable.

Toomany22s 11-08-2018 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wkd (Post 11224397)
WOW! Seriously! Keep in mind it is his gun not yours and after all, it's not the Hope diamond and is replaceable.

Wow you really want to hear that bone snap!

Lighten up, just a little banter between the good angel and bad devil , like in the cartoons.

How about this, if it it makes it worse , you guys can pay for the replacement.
Want to make that bet? I will all day long.

vinco 11-08-2018 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ODEN2 (Post 11224383)
I got one and YOU CAN'T HAVE IT! It's my favorite rifle bar none. With a suppressor its deathly quiet and amazingly accurate, not quite up to my 452 thumbhole varmint at 100 yds but almost.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I just felt like bragging.:D

charles

metoo!!! (not with a #.) Great little rifle! I might very well may never squirrel hunt with any other rifle again.

COW 54 11-08-2018 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ODEN2 (Post 11224383)

As for the OPs problem, I'd buy a Scout and an American stock, small riflle in a full size stock, but that's just me and I always make the wrong choice.:o

charles

Ameriscout. Got on Friday, scope came in Saturday. It's not broken in yet.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Cr...=w1349-h654-no

A cold day today, managed to shoot these at 50 yards (5 shot groups)
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/E1...Q=w873-h654-no

3/8" or less at 50. I'm happy :)

:F