RimfireCentral.com Forums

RimfireCentral.com Forums (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scopes, Sights, Rings & Mounts, and Other Optics (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Vortex crossfire 2-7 rimfire (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1174429)

KB22RF 10-16-2019 01:09 PM

Vortex crossfire 2-7 rimfire

Dicks had a 20% off sale Monday morning so I got a Vortex Crossfire 2-7 x 32 rimfire scope for $103 plus tax.

Initial impression is its OK. Glass is clear but only when you are looking straight thru (obviously you should anyway). If you look at an angle it tends to get a white out or cloudy look. Never experienced that with my Weaver, Leupolds, or Nikons. Also different is the tint, its not green but a purpleish tint on the glass. Guess they use a different coating then those other brands.

Speaking of cloudy, on the bottom half of the bell there is a white hazey stain. looks like someone spilled white paint on it and mostly cleaned it up but not completely. Not terribly noticeable so I live with it. Eye relief is good as advertised.

Hopefully I will get to the range Saturday and give it a try.

wagon 10-16-2019 02:08 PM

From the same moronic Dick’s which destroyed $5M ‘military styled’ guns?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plinkhead 10-16-2019 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KB22RF (Post 11640715)
Dicks had a 20% off sale Monday morning so I got a Vortex Crossfire 2-7 x 32 rimfire scope for $103 plus tax.

Initial impression is its OK. Glass is clear but only when you are looking straight thru (obviously you should anyway). If you look at an angle it tends to get a white out or cloudy look. Never experienced that with my Weaver, Leupolds, or Nikons. Also different is the tint, its not green but a purpleish tint on the glass. Guess they use a different coating then those other brands.

Speaking of cloudy, on the bottom half of the bell there is a white hazey stain. looks like someone spilled white paint on it and mostly cleaned it up but not completely. Not terribly noticeable so I live with it. Eye relief is good as advertised.

Hopefully I will get to the range Saturday and give it a try.

I have a Crossfire and that doesn't sound anything like mine. I'd call Vortex and see what they say.

KB22RF 10-16-2019 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plinkhead (Post 11640861)
I have a Crossfire and that doesn't sound anything like mine. I'd call Vortex and see what they say.

Thanks. I sent them an email. I did see on the website the lenses are colored a green tint. We will see what they say.

KB22RF 10-19-2019 06:33 PM

Just a follow up post. I got almost an immediate response from Vortex who suggested the scope should be fine. So I took it to the range today. happy to report functioned well. The glass was very clear and the adjustment knobs while not the best I've encountered were not all that mushy. Has lots of eye relief as well even at full power.

I would recommend this scope to anyone in the market for an inexpensive scope.

James Cottrell 11-01-2019 02:54 PM

I just put one on a 10-22 sporter. After 3 Nikon's this is my first Vortex. It seems bright and sharp looking out the back window at the brush and tracking a squirrel on the stone wall. Next week to the range and sight in.

Nick7274 11-01-2019 04:55 PM

I'd bring it back to Dick's and buy another one from somewhere else. You can find them for right around $100 pretty much anywhere. No shooter should give any business to Dick's. Decent scopes for the price though. I have one that I bought several years ago (not the rimfire model) and it's pretty clear and sharp. Not like a Weaver or Leupold but it also cost a fraction of the price.