RimfireCentral.com Forums

RimfireCentral.com Forums (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Shooting Accessories (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Best bore solvent (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1123538)

NevRimfire 06-01-2018 10:12 PM

Best bore solvent

Using my centerfire regime (Hoppes or Wipe Out) may not cut it in cleaning 22 lr barrels which use solely lead bullets. Although I find that Ballistol works well to remove powder residue what would you recommend to clean 22 lr barrels if there becomes any lead fouling?

I do not want to use anything too abrasive or harsh. I find a brushing with a 20 cal brush wrapped with a cleaning patch lightly coated with Ballistol helps to preclude excessive fouling lead buildup in the bore...but is that a prudent approach based on your experiences? I use a bore guide to avoid Ballistol creeping on to my stock and in action.

Any of your bore cleaning practices in your 22 lrís is appreciated.

Let me know how I can help you in your centerfire cleaning, I have some good tips.

Thank you

Clem-E 06-01-2018 10:25 PM

hoppe's and kroil mixed and a 6mm brush to keep the carbon ring out of the lead. Lead, i dont do anything special, patches with gunscrubber on them and maybe some boretech c4 to get most of the carbon fouling out. Sometimes I will send a .22 pistol brush down the bore. I really havent given much thought to lead as i shoot sk or eley most of the time. Last deep cleaning I did was enough to make both my CZs accuracy fall off with SK. right now i am at the mercy of some eley target i have. i need to order some club.

i have a couple .20 brushes, so i will probably wrap a patch around them and try it. The CZ tubes are work hardened from the hammer forging, so it is kind of difficult to hurt them with brass/bronze brushes and other quality cleaning tools.

as far as centerfires, any tips would be appreciated. Thanks

NevRimfire 06-01-2018 11:16 PM

Thank you Clem-E, just sent you an IM on some cleaning ideas.

lithgow_101 06-02-2018 02:26 AM

I use Boretech rimfire blend and just leave it to soak in the barrel over night then just nylon brush it out with about 4 passes in the morning, I have a bore scope and have checked it out before and after and there's no lead or carbon ring in the morning, after doing the above every 250 rounds or so. But for a badly fouled barrel I had to use a 22cal bronze brush and about 8 passes of the bore on a secondhand rifle that I bought a few months back.

cznut 06-02-2018 06:35 AM

I use Rimfire Blend and/or Pro Shot One Step, use patches in the bore and a worn bore brush or Iosso Nylon brush in the chamber and leade. I will ocassionally use a bore brush to clean the entire bore if I feel it needs it.

NevRimfire 06-02-2018 10:28 AM

That Rimfire Blend sounds interesting...Iím going to do my research. You folks are very helpful. Thank you

Clem-E 06-02-2018 01:30 PM

Thanks. I am liking this thread. I am going to have to pick up some BT rimfire blend.

djdilliodon 06-02-2018 02:06 PM

I use rimfire blend or TM2000 (been using TM exclusively for a bit). 2 wet patches and let sit for 5 min. Bronze brush the entire length 10 times. 1 more wet patch and let sit for 5 min. Dry patch and borescope the barrel. If Iím not where I want it to be I repeat. This is what I do for a match barrel. They clean easier but require cleaning more frequently as a carbon ring can become detrimental to accuracy much sooner compared to a factory barrel. In a factory barrel at some point a ring can aid accuracy and then of course eventually harm it.

timberbeast 06-02-2018 02:42 PM

+1 on the Boretech Rimfire blend.

I've also used Hoppes and Kroil mixed -- very effective for all firearm bore cleaning.

finncz 06-02-2018 04:00 PM

I have used breakfree clp with good results, but have no borescope so can't be 100% sure of the total result.
Have any of you opinion about it as compared to other solvents ?

flangster 06-02-2018 04:06 PM

Just speaking for myself, I don't mix oils/solvents/other organics unless someone with far more knowledge than me knows what comes out of the mixture. I use solvents (e.g. Hoppes No. 9) for softening hard stuff (e.g. carbon deposits), kroil for getting under stuff, and so on, but I try not to mix 'em more than I have to. For all I know, Kroil and Hoppes No.9 are antagonistic. :confused:

Anyway, I am probably more risk-averse than I have to be.

NevRimfire 06-02-2018 04:23 PM

Petroleum based products should not be antagonists.

PABear 06-02-2018 04:39 PM

brone bore brush and 10-W 40 motor oil. the carbon is gone lone before the lead is gone. So no carbon solvent is needed by me.

SDBigDog1955 06-02-2018 04:58 PM

kerosene :bthumb:

teetertotter 06-02-2018 05:36 PM

Kroil and .204 pull through Otis brass brush every 1,000+ rounds.