RimfireCentral.com Forums

RimfireCentral.com Forums (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Rimfire Benchrest Shooting (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=320)
-   -   The Triple Crown of Rimfire (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1222647)

vlnbyr 05-09-2021 06:24 PM

My point was the USBR Green Monster is a target. The Triple Crown of Rimfire is a group of organizations conducting competitions.

92lowrider 05-09-2021 06:49 PM

Tough crowd

%%%%! Canít believe I read all that. But since I did, Iíll put my 2 cents worth in even though it seems to be an unpopular opinion. I personally donít like the IR50 portion of the TC, as a matter of fact Iím not fond of IR50 at all and itís due to the scoring system. I have never shot a 10 shot match so no opinion there. The reason I donít like the scoring is as Tony said ďone bad shot and your outĒ I canít afford to test and test and test ammo till I find the killer stuff it takes to shoot a 750 and Im not privy to early test lots or sponsored Ammo. I think most shooters are in the same boat with me. So I bring my best ammo to the match, two or three fliers per box and all then shoot my best, thatís all I can do. Change or no change at the TC wonít stop me from going but I still wonít like that one or two fliers in my ammo will drag me down to mid pack or worse.

linekin 05-10-2021 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frey (Post 12311331)
it wasn't tony's idea. it was the great divider. tony was just his mouthpiece.

as long as we hide it under the guise of advancing rimfire accuracy, we can ask for anything.

still trying to figure out how switching to a target that gives a second chance for success actually advances rimfire accuracy.

I'm not sure it gives a 2nd chance for success, just that 1 or 2 dropped shots in 10 shot can be overcome. Meaning a few 9's aren't going to wreck your weekend.
As to advancing rimfire accuracy I'm not sure how it does either. What I will say is it'll change a shooters mindset in how the targets are shot meaning you've gotta hit the dot. No staying safe shooting soft 10's.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 92lowrider (Post 12312105)
%%%%! Can’t believe I read all that. But since I did, I’ll put my 2 cents worth in even though it seems to be an unpopular opinion. I personally don’t like the IR50 portion of the TC, as a matter of fact I’m not fond of IR50 at all and it’s due to the scoring system. I have never shot a 10 shot match so no opinion there. The reason I don’t like the scoring is as Tony said “one bad shot and your out” I can’t afford to test and test and test ammo till I find the killer stuff it takes to shoot a 750 and Im not privy to early test lots or sponsored Ammo. I think most shooters are in the same boat with me. So I bring my best ammo to the match, two or three fliers per box and all then shoot my best, that’s all I can do. Change or no change at the TC won’t stop me from going but I still won’t like that one or two fliers in my ammo will drag me down to mid pack or worse.

The 1 or 2 fliers can be overcome in 10 shot. Thats what Tony is trying to convey.
Some will question how hitting a smaller object, the dot, is a more "friendly" target? Well it isn't, but most likely nobody will shoot all 25 dots outside. But you'd better hit a bunch of them.

52DH&R12 05-10-2021 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 92lowrider (Post 12312105)
%%%%! Canít believe I read all that. But since I did, Iíll put my 2 cents worth in even though it seems to be an unpopular opinion. I personally donít like the IR50 portion of the TC, as a matter of fact Iím not fond of IR50 at all and itís due to the scoring system. I have never shot a 10 shot match so no opinion there. The reason I donít like the scoring is as Tony said ďone bad shot and your outĒ I canít afford to test and test and test ammo till I find the killer stuff it takes to shoot a 750 and I'm not privy to early test lots or sponsored Ammo. I think most shooters are in the same boat with me. So I bring my best ammo to the match, two or three fliers per box and all then shoot my best, thatís all I can do. Change or no change at the TC wonít stop me from going but I still wonít like that one or two fliers in my ammo will drag me down to mid pack or worse.

Congratulations: One of the first responses I read where the poster has actually shot in the triple crown. Seems like all those that condemn it, don't shoot there. So wonder why it would matter to them ?? I have not shot at the TC either, so I have no dog in this fight. I have shot IR50/50 and 10 Shot. I like both, 10 shot is more forgiving, even though you have to hit the X to get any kind of score. The good thing is, if you shoot a bad shot, you can use that bull as a sighter for the next shot. Much better than swinging off to the side to shoot one, then have to move back to a scoring bull. I now approach every IR target as if it were 10 Shot, ( cannot use the miss for a sighter however ) it tends to make you a better shooter. As to the 10 score, it is a elusive thing. I have shot three of them, have pins for two of them to verify them.

The Triple Crown is like a triathlon, each set of targets is different, some are comfortable shooting one or two of them, but in the end someone is going to do well enough with all three to win. That is what determines the best overall shooter. The TC was conceived using all three of the sanctioned targets, ARA, PSL and IR50, this predated 10 Shot. If someone thinks it need to be changed, let the people that actually shoot and run the TC decide that.