RimfireCentral.com Forums

RimfireCentral.com Forums (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Henry (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   New Henry Introduced (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1170433)

Pete44ru 08-29-2019 10:15 AM

New Henry Introduced
 
.

FWIW

HRA has introduced what they term a "Garden Gun" - their .22LR lever action repeater with a smooth bore:

https://www.henryusa.com/shotgun/gar...smoothbore-22/

.

SquirrelPilot 08-29-2019 11:00 AM

Great idea! Marlin once made a Garden Gun for .22 WMR shotshells only. I like the black ash furniture on the Henry.

rc. 08-29-2019 11:23 AM

The problem I have with 22 shotshells is the payload is pathetic. Out of a rifled barrel, bird shot can barely kill a bird inside 10 yards. Grampa in his last year would just load shorts in his rifle to help grandma with her garden gophers:) I don't think he could miss at garden ranges. rc

BWstickman 08-29-2019 03:34 PM

Itís a smooth bore Iím sure it will shoot pretty decent at 20 yards and under

STEEL SHOOTER 08-29-2019 03:39 PM

Smoothbore
 
I'm looking forward to a range report :)

Jammer22 08-29-2019 05:29 PM

Good on Henry! Something new!!

Cowpokey 08-29-2019 08:06 PM

Pretty cool!

https://youtu.be/stuL6O-duVg

KR20 09-06-2019 06:38 PM

https://www.kygunco.com/Product/View?ItemNo=143090

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYVgG18x8qI

wkd 09-10-2019 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rc. (Post 11590797)
The problem I have with 22 shotshells is the payload is pathetic. Out of a rifled barrel, bird shot can barely kill a bird inside 10 yards. Grampa in his last year would just load shorts in his rifle to help grandma with her garden gophers:) I don't think he could miss at garden ranges. rc

Exactly why I went to the 9mm rf, a quantum leap above the 22.

fourbore 09-10-2019 07:45 AM

The 22 shot is specifically for little mice,etc and in side an out building and not chew up the framing. And real close. This is a lot of money to buy a gun just for that. If the 22 shot is a joke unless you understand the extremely limited use. The 410 can be had in light enough load to hit small birds outside. You dont shoot a 410, point blank at a target inches away. The 22 you can take a pretty close shot and worse case is not so risky. Not an emergency room, paper work, risky.

Kiteman72 09-17-2019 06:55 PM

I've said before that I would never buy another Henry, but I'm almost certainly going to try one of these out.

When I'm shooting carpenter bees with my Savage smoothbore singe shot, I have often longed for a repeater that didn't require me to pry empties out with my pocketknife's screwdriver.

Kiteman72 10-06-2019 10:59 PM

Pretty Sweet
 
Alrighty, I picked up a Garden Gun at the gun show yesterday and was able to run a couple dozen rounds thru it. First impressions are favorable, with slick feeding and extraction. I am very happy to finally have a smoothbore repeater. :bthumb:
It's not gonna knock your socks off unless you really want to kill small stuff at close range. Then you should be suitably pleased. I patterned it on a "splatter" target and the shot lost a lot of oomph after about 10 paces.

Tailwheel 10-07-2019 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiteman72 (Post 11630413)
Alrighty, I picked up a Garden Gun at the gun show yesterday and was able to run a couple dozen rounds thru it. First impressions are favorable, with slick feeding and extraction. I am very happy to finally have a smoothbore repeater. :bthumb:
It's not gonna knock your socks off unless you really want to kill small stuff at close range. Then you should be suitably pleased. I patterned it on a "splatter" target and the shot lost a lot of oomph after about 10 paces.

Kiteman,

Did you happen to try the CCI shotshells or the Remington shotshells with the crimped ends? I'd be interested to know if either cycle and function well.

Thanks!

Kiteman72 10-07-2019 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tailwheel (Post 11630759)
Kiteman,

Did you happen to try the CCI shotshells or the Remington shotshells with the crimped ends? I'd be interested to know if either cycle and function well.

Thanks!

Hey, Tailwheel! I only tried Winchester crimped end ammo actually. I have some of that and some Federal crimped. The Winchester shot great.

I'm not going to try the CCI and I'll tell you why.
I've had those blue caps break when working them thru a lever action (either a Win 9422 or Browning BL-22 I can't remember) and dealing with the aftermath of that was a real pain. With my luck, I would jam up my new Henry in no time.

I have also had the blue cap not break when shot thru my Savage smoothbore and I ended up with a hole in my shed. Combine these factors with the higher price of the CCI and sticking with the crimped end shells is a no-brainer.

Tailwheel 10-07-2019 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiteman72 (Post 11630413)
Alrighty, I picked up a Garden Gun at the gun show yesterday and was able to run a couple dozen rounds thru it. First impressions are favorable, with slick feeding and extraction. I am very happy to finally have a smoothbore repeater. :bthumb:
It's not gonna knock your socks off unless you really want to kill small stuff at close range. Then you should be suitably pleased. I patterned it on a "splatter" target and the shot lost a lot of oomph after about 10 paces.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiteman72 (Post 11631047)
Hey, Tailwheel! I only tried Winchester crimped end ammo actually. I have some of that and some Federal crimped. The Winchester shot great.

I'm not going to try the CCI and I'll tell you why.
I've had those blue caps break when working them thru a lever action (either a Win 9422 or Browning BL-22 I can't remember) and dealing with the aftermath of that was a real pain. With my luck, I would jam up my new Henry in no time.

I have also had the blue cap not break when shot thru my Savage smoothbore and I ended up with a hole in my shed. Combine these factors with the higher price of the CCI and sticking with the crimped end shells is a no-brainer.

I meant federal crimped! Thanks so much. Yes, I agree, i don't use those CCI's either because they are so fragile. At least the ones i've tried are and i did exactly what you talk about in my 9422.

Thanks!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:49 PM.

DMCA Notice

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©2000-2018 RimfireCentral.com