RimfireCentral.com Forums

RimfireCentral.com Forums (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   10/22 Barrels - Factory & Aftermarket (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Volquartsen Accuracy test (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1153715)

kisssofdeath 03-08-2019 04:24 PM

Volquartsen Accuracy test
 
Kinda new to this subforum. I ran upon a fantastic deal on this Volquartsen 20" Stainless barrel with scope mount on GB. The barrel was advertised as new, bought from an estate sale and appears to have not been mounted but anything is possible I guess. I shot a few days back with the barrel, JWH bolt, Ruger receiver and an Archangel stock. Yesterday I got to shoot with my B&C Odyssey stock and thought I would post some photos. This is just an FYI post

Borescope photos as received. The entire barrel looks the way these examples look. Bright, shinny, not a single machine mark could be seen.

https://i.ibb.co/j3qpk5F/0302191854.jpghttps://i.ibb.co/BV1sCfw/0302191855.jpg

Here is the first test setup with the Archangel stock and the results. Shooting was done at 55 yards.

https://i.ibb.co/smby7Hj/0304191453.jpghttps://i.ibb.co/6NmhdGc/0304191454-HDR.jpghttps://i.ibb.co/K6xvtS7/0308191637c.jpghttps://i.ibb.co/sQPF9bH/0308191637b.jpghttps://i.ibb.co/f4F8x8m/0308191637a.jpghttps://i.ibb.co/V3Wxrc0/0308191637.jpghttps://i.ibb.co/MnHMctm/0308191636d.jpghttps://i.ibb.co/tqK3c2h/0308191636c.jpghttps://i.ibb.co/XkXH6cF/0308191636b.jpghttps://i.ibb.co/JjqSFgk/0308191636.jpghttps://i.ibb.co/3T4C210/0308191636a.jpg

Here is the B&C Odyssey setup with everything else being equal.

https://i.ibb.co/RTP5b1y/0306192326.jpg https://i.ibb.co/hK7LZS4/0308191253.jpghttps://i.ibb.co/yYhqcLR/0308191252b.jpghttps://i.ibb.co/qnWc6JN/0308191252a.jpghttps://i.ibb.co/P5wX7Fn/0308191252.jpghttps://i.ibb.co/4NH1jFr/0308191251a.jpghttps://i.ibb.co/Jy69Qkc/0308191251b.jpg

It appears to have grouped better with the Archangel stock. I know of one issue with the Odyssey stock and that is it is touching the barrel on the left side near the end of the stock while the Archangel is easily free floated. I'm going to remove more material from the Odyssey stock and reshoot. I am open to suggestions if anyone has any.

My goal is ten for ten 1/2" or better groups. Doesn't matter if it comes from $2 CCI SV or $11 Center-X as long as I get the 1/2".

GH41 03-08-2019 04:45 PM

Not trying to be a jerk but are we supposed to be impressed?? Most stock carbines will shoot that good. Chances are something is wrong. I doubt it's the barrel.

kisssofdeath 03-08-2019 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GH41 (Post 11394245)
Not trying to be a jerk but are we supposed to be impressed?? Most stock carbines will shoot that good. Chances are something is wrong. I doubt it's the barrel.

You should read my last sentence in the first paragraph. Was never my intent to impress anyone.

I have 3 stock 10/22's including this one when it was stock that I have been shooting. None have ever come close to this type of accuracy on a regular basis. They are all 3/4" - 1" guns all day. Some stock carbines may shoot this well but based on my experience I don't think most will.

What do you think I need to do to get ten 1/2" groups? Do you have a 10/22 that will do it day in and day out? If so what is your set up?

Clem-E 03-08-2019 09:45 PM

both my SS kidd barrels that shoot well, are 'bedded' with bicycle innertube close to the receiver and floated ahead of that. the 20" shoots 1/4" groups @50y and the 16.5" best has been sub 1/5" @ 50y. i would not fully float one back to the v block. they just dont need it.

https://i.imgur.com/NtS1kQx.jpg

bullseye4845 03-08-2019 10:40 PM

Volq Accuracy Test
 
KOD, I have the same barrel in 18 inch, in a Volq. stock, and yes, it groups better than what you show. I use a CPC bolt/trigger work, Kidd springs/handle, glassed as per recommendation on this site, changed to a 1/4 x 20 take down screw ( works much better for stability in my rifles--recommended per members on this site), and in a Ruger receiver. You must have a quality scope that tracts well for minute groups, and something is not balanced in your setup, as your hand lapped barrel is capable of good grouping if you do your part. I now have the two stage Kidd triggers in my guns, and do not look back. The barrel is not the only part of the rifle setup that makes the small grouping, it is the overall balance setup of rifle to complete the quest; however, the barrel is a large part of accuracy, as well as the one pulling the trigger. Do a search on this site for hours of rimfire accuracy, and the correct way to bed your barrel. Each rifle seems to have a mind of it's own in the placement of the pad. I am glad that Clem likes the pristine accuracy of the Kidd barrel. Yehaw -- I wish mine would do the 1/5 inch or better at 50 yds, or perhaps my old age is a factor! I know Chaser states they are lasers---I have several kinds of barrels; however, no Kidd as of yet--Gotta get Fred's as well to compare. My best accuracy comes from a solid wood stock. Your quest will never end on these 10/22's. An addiction for sure; however, a lot of fun!! Good lucki

Flash_80 03-08-2019 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GH41 (Post 11394245)
Not trying to be a jerk but are we supposed to be impressed?? Most stock carbines will shoot that good. Chances are something is wrong. I doubt it's the barrel.

Probably not at 55yds on a stock carbine. Granted its been a while since I shot a stock gun for groups, but I remember them scattering out a bit more.

Clem-E 03-09-2019 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bullseye4845 (Post 11394803)
. I am glad that Clem likes the pristine accuracy of the Kidd barrel. Yehaw -- I wish mine would do the 1/5 inch or better at 50 yds, or perhaps my old age is a factor! i

Kidd is only batting about .500 for me. The 2 that I still have are lasers, but the other 2 are long gone. One of them kidd warrantied because it was shooting 3" groups at 50y. kidd, volquartsen and clark all use lothar blanks. i know my 21" clark shot like a mirror of my 20" kidd. but you get into individual barrels and they have their own preferences. but the lothar blanks should all be pretty similar in what works for bedding.

n2omike 03-09-2019 07:15 AM

A stock carbine will NOT shoot that well at 55 yards! Gun seems like it's working pretty well.

I also use the Archangel stocks. They are a bit on the heavy side, but I like them. The mags tended to hang up, so I had to file out the mag wells, but the stocks are the same color all the way through, so you can't really tell once it's smoothed out a little.

The Archangel stocks also come with a barrel tensioner that screws in from the bottom, if you decide to use it. You can put it in two different spots. I have found that it does indeed help with accuracy. But, the stock is somewhat flexible on the fore end, so I'd recommend re-checking it every once in a while.

crackedcornish 03-09-2019 07:21 AM

https://i.ibb.co/BV1sCfw/0302191855.jpg

what's up with this scope base...doesn't look like my Volquartsen cantilever bases, it looks very blocky in comparison to the ones I'm used to seeing

Four52 shooter 03-09-2019 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GH41 (Post 11394245)
Not trying to be a jerk but are we supposed to be impressed?? Most stock carbines will shoot that good. Chances are something is wrong. I doubt it's the barrel.

Go out and shoot about 100 groups or so with your stock carbine and post your results here like kisssofdeath did. None of the stock 10/22 carbines I've owned came anywhere close to the targets posted.

kisssofdeath 03-09-2019 10:04 AM

Good feedback guys, much appreciated. I will reply to each person in this one post

@ GH41, still looking for your set up or equipment list.

@ Clem-E, the B&C stock has factory bedding that appears to support the first 2" of barrel after the V-block. So I believe it is similar to your rubber tube "unless the rubber material is having an effect I'm not getting with the composite material". As mentioned the B&C is making contact with the barrel on one side near the end of the forearm. The Archangel doesn't have the 2" support after the V-block and it isn't touching anywhere. First thing I'm going to try is relieve the contact spot on the B&C.

@ bullseye4845, you mention a couple of things I want to get. One is the KIDD barrel, probably go with the 20" polished SS version. I also want to send my Ruger Anniversary bolt to CPC for work. I have had several failure to fire and some failure to eject from my JWH Custom Competitor Gen 2 bolt. Not sure what's up with that but I never had that problem with any of my Ruger factory bolts.

@ n2omike, I haven't used the barrel tensioner. What location do you find it works best?

@ crackedcornish, I don't know what is up with the base; it come with the barrel. Maybe it's an earlier version. I won the barrel and the mount on GB for $180 shipped from an estate sale. LOL, I don't know what else to say about it.

@ Four52 shooter, we have the same experience with stock 10/22's. Plus I always show at least five 5-shot groups and that's only if I'm short on ammo and want to use the ammo in another gun. Otherwise I shoot ten 5-shot groups, the entire 50 round box gets shot. I think it's funny when someone post a single 5 shot group and say "hey look at me". I always ask, "what did you do, shoot 1 group and go home"?

Anyway, thanks again for the feedback. Keep it coming as someone may say something I hadn't thought of yet, such as n2omike mentioning the Archangel barrel tensioner.

I'm also not ruling out my lack of skill in shooting with this trigger. I haven't shot my 10/22's in a long time and the trigger is nothing like anything else I have.

n2omike 03-09-2019 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kisssofdeath (Post 11395325)
Good feedback guys, much appreciated. I will reply to each person in this one post

@ n2omike, I haven't used the barrel tensioner. What location do you find it works best?

I would start with the position closest to the receiver. You don't need a whole lot of tension... maybe 1/4 turn once it contacts the barrel. Of course you can try different amounts in both positions if you want to really wring it out. I haven't gotten that scientific yet. Different tensions will change the point of impact. If you try this at the range, you may also want to do a 'control' on the same day at the range... which would involve shooting a few groups free floated. That would give you a direct comparison to the amount and position of the tensioner.

Good Luck!

bullseye4845 03-09-2019 10:43 AM

Volquartsen Accuracy Test
 
Hey Clem, had to mention the Kidd barrel accuracy, even if you are 50% successful, in 4 purchases. That 16 inch barrel is accurate enough for shooting cards with the big guys--if you are good at wind reading. The Lothar steel is very good steel, and Clark, Volq., and Kidd use the same button rifled cut of barrel bore, and the Kidd and Volq. barrels are hand lapped as well. My Clark is not hand lapped; however, shoots well. KOD-- I can tell you after 14 years of daily opening this site for info, that the best bank for the money---bar none-- send your rifle to Randy at CPC, and it will be the best approx $200 bucks you will spend on a 10/22. It will run correctly, shoot well, and you will not have to wonder what to build for a 10/22, and save you a lot of money. Then again, if like the rest of us, the quest is a never ending sensation of building a "one hole" shooting rifle. Utilize the "search" availability on this site for a ton of info, as some of these gents are amazing in their ability from stock work, trigger work, appearance, etc. I rate some as well or better than many so-called, gunsmiths in the 10/22 work. Your results will be in your own ability, and the amount of time you will pursue in the rimfire accuracy quest. Watch the pocket book as well!! Good luck

kisssofdeath 03-09-2019 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n2omike (Post 11395377)
I would start with the position closest to the receiver. You don't need a whole lot of tension... maybe 1/4 turn once it contacts the barrel. Of course you can try different amounts in both positions if you want to really wring it out. I haven't gotten that scientific yet. Different tensions will change the point of impact. If you try this at the range, you may also want to do a 'control' on the same day at the range... which would involve shooting a few groups free floated. That would give you a direct comparison to the amount and position of the tensioner.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the advice, I will start in the back and work forward. The targets with the pink circles were all shot with the Archangel and was free floated with 20 In/lbs on the action screw.

kisssofdeath 03-09-2019 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bullseye4845 (Post 11395423)
Hey Clem, had to mention the Kidd barrel accuracy, even if you are 50% successful, in 4 purchases. That 16 inch barrel is accurate enough for shooting cards with the big guys--if you are good at wind reading. The Lothar steel is very good steel, and Clark, Volq., and Kidd use the same button rifled cut of barrel bore, and the Kidd and Volq. barrels are hand lapped as well. My Clark is not hand lapped; however, shoots well. KOD-- I can tell you after 14 years of daily opening this site for info, that the best bank for the money---bar none-- send your rifle to Randy at CPC, and it will be the best approx $200 bucks you will spend on a 10/22. It will run correctly, shoot well, and you will not have to wonder what to build for a 10/22, and save you a lot of money. Then again, if like the rest of us, the quest is a never ending sensation of building a "one hole" shooting rifle. Utilize the "search" availability on this site for a ton of info, as some of these gents are amazing in their ability from stock work, trigger work, appearance, etc. I rate some as well or better than many so-called, gunsmiths in the 10/22 work. Your results will be in your own ability, and the amount of time you will pursue in the rimfire accuracy quest. Watch the pocket book as well!! Good luck

I am 99% sure I will send my factory Ruger bolt to CPC.

I'm still debating who to send my BX trigger group to? Recommendations anyone?

I would like to get the Ruger anniversary receiver squared, polished and cleaning hole drilled but I don't want the barrel messed with. I don't know how that would work out at CPC. I guess I need to just call and talk about it.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:08 PM.

DMCA Notice

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2000-2018 RimfireCentral.com