RimfireCentral.com Forums

RimfireCentral.com Forums (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Anything 10/22 (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=145)
-   -   Stuck Tight 10/22 Barrel Removal (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263142)

tacman556 02-03-2009 01:57 PM

Stuck Tight 10/22 Barrel Removal

I have been shooting 10/22s for over 20 years. I just bought a new one and am trying to remove the barrel. This barrel is stuck tight. I am assuming the new "painted" receiver has created a tighter than usual fit that my older 10/22s have. I have removed the screws and V-block but I can't get the barrel to budge. I have sprayed around the joint on both sides with WD40 hoping that will loosen it up, but so far no go. I am sure I could get it out, but I don't want to damage anything in the process. Any suggestions?

Bugg77 02-03-2009 02:23 PM

I had the same problem with my new 10/22 and what I did was to pull the bolt back and let it slam forward. After 5 or 10 times and the barrel was a pretty easy 'pull and twist' away from being completely out.

tacman556 02-03-2009 02:45 PM

Dennis from Mizzoumuleguns suggested the same thing. After about 50 bolt slams...still no go. I have it soaking in WD40 right now and will try this again later, but in the meantime, any more tips?

geminidglocker 02-03-2009 02:58 PM

The bolt slam is ofcourse the first option.The second seems to be putting the thing in a freezer and then heating either the reciever or the barrel with a hair dryer to break any kind of bond that can be thermally defeated.Good luck.I've never had to resort to thermal measures, the bolt slam has always worked for me.

tacman556 02-03-2009 08:51 PM

OK...this is a bunch of B.S. I am ready to chuck this 10/22 out the freakin' window. I tried the let the bolt slam on it thing over and over and over again. Zero movement. I decided to take the rifle apart so I could get a better look at the inside. I literally had to beat the ever-lovin' crap out of those pins (both trigger guard pins and the bolt stop pin) with a punch and hammer to get them out. The ones on my 20 year old 10/22 fall out when I take the action out of the stock. I am trying to find a way to get a wooden dowel angled inside against the breachface so I can attempt to hammer it out from the inside. This thing will not budge a fraction of an inch. I can't be the only person whose 10/22 was put together by a 400 pound gorilla and then painted with lock-tite infused paint. Can anyone help me out here? The usual ways for getting a semi-tight barrel out have failed. This one is freakin' %%%%% tight.

farm boy 02-03-2009 09:02 PM

First question is. Do you want to keep the barrel? Your answer to this may give several different options.

wdtorque 02-03-2009 09:24 PM

You might be a DIY if you "bootjack" a snug un

Been wanting to post this picture. Had a barrel that was "difficult" and I didn't have the tools for post #6 which is a great idea. Wouldn't move.
http://i569.photobucket.com/albums/s...1219081441.jpg
Tried the clamp in the photo but disregard. What I ended making was a "bootjack" contraption of sorts. 1" hole drilled then channel cut out of end of 2x4. Barrel held vertical in left hand, pulled up and lifted the plywood that 2x4 was drilled to. Receiver under the "notch" in the 2x4. Hammer in right hand, two taps and one hit on the 2x4, receiver fell to floor.

Zanthe 02-03-2009 09:55 PM

I put mine in the freezer for about an hour and then heated the receiver up with a hair dryer. One squirt of WD40 and the thing finally turned and I got it off. There are several threads about doing this and it works!

Patience grasshopper! :p

tacman556 02-03-2009 11:21 PM

OK...

Must...

Have...

Patience...

Must...

Not...

Throw...

10/22...

Out...

The...

Window...

I have tried the method in post #6...no workie...

I have tried the method in post #9...no workie...

It is in the freezer, the hair dryer (I don't have a heat gun) is plugged in.

If that doesn't work, I am going to try the hot/cold thing in combination with #6 or #9.

If that doesn't work, I am going to throw it out the window!

I mean seriously, I have a $200 barrel, a $60 stock, a $400 scope, and a $50 scope mount just sitting here on my work bench and I can't install any of it because Ruger put the factory barrel in too tight, most likely as a result of this cheap painted on finish Ruger is using now (anodizing is much thinner than paint). This is the most accessorized firearm in history and I can't remove the barrel to accessorize it, or to clean it properly for that matter. I was a 14 or 15 year old kid when I got my first 10/22, and I just removed the v-block and slid the barrel out without even gripping it that hard.

This is a little bit ridiculous.

wdtorque 02-03-2009 11:43 PM

When all else fails take a walk. I know, easier said then done. You are on the right track with trying various options. Cold / Heat has worked for some. My freezer is tiny so I couldn't try i, but remember, channel locks are a last resort. Maybe wrap barrel in leather if you are not too mad at it. Good luck. We are constantly tested, "It is not how a man acts when times are good but his behavior when times are bad that determines his character."
Continue to have patience.
Sorry about the above quote by ? but I thought it better than offering to buy your scope. Good Luck.

tacman556 02-04-2009 12:09 PM

Gave up. Took it to my gunsmith this morning. He had it off in about 45 seconds. It was so easy for him and took so little time, he wouldn't even let me pay him. He used a vice to hold the barrel and put a small block of wood against the receiver and tapped it out with a series of very light taps with the smallest little ball peen hammer I ever saw. I told him that I must have loosened it up for him. This would be an example of why he is a gunsmith and I am not.

Bugg77 02-04-2009 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tacman556 (Post 2213972)
Gave up. Took it to my gunsmith this morning. He had it off in about 45 seconds. It was so easy for him and took so little time, he wouldn't even let me pay him. He used a vice to hold the barrel and put a small block of wood against the receiver and tapped it out with a series of very light taps with the smallest little ball peen hammer I ever saw. I told him that I must have loosened it up for him. This would be an example of why he is a gunsmith and I am not.

:beerchug: :2p :D :bthumb:

Well that was pretty easy and I'll be sure to keep that in mind the next time I've got a stuck barrel. I've got a vice, hammer, and block of wood so I think I could manage with this solution.

Congrats tacman! Now, be sure to post some pics when you have that thing all put together.

Dave S 02-04-2009 02:30 PM

Now see, if you had bought a 597 you would not have had that problem..
OOPS :eek: :eek: did that vile statement come from me..???..:D

Dave

tacman556 02-04-2009 02:54 PM

New TacSol barrel slipped in under hand power (no hammer or beating or force required) but still fits nice and snug. It will be very easy to take apart for detailed cleaning though.

9x19 02-04-2009 05:15 PM

I find it amusing, that one of the things many used to complain about with the Ruger 10/2 was the slip fit between barrel and receiver... once they get it to be a tight fit... some still complain! :D

Glad you got it all sorted out. :bthumb: