RimfireCentral.com Forums

RimfireCentral.com Forums (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Keeping Them Sharp (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=161)
-   -   Fine grit crock sticks? (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1215781)

clisbyclark 02-06-2021 02:50 PM

Fine grit crock sticks?

In 1982 or so, as a teen, I bought a CaseXX branded set of crock sticks. I still have them and use them to sharpen every knife I own. I've tried other methods but just keep coming back to the sticks even though I know that good stones would probably get my knives much sharper. I just noticed that they sell fine grit ceramic sticks and was wondering if I should get those to take my sharpening game up a notch. Has anyone used these and been happy with them? TIA.

HUSHKABOOM 02-07-2021 03:42 AM

The fine grit sticks will put a very smooth almost polished edge on a blade. Good for the last few strokes after the real sharpening is done.

bobnoffs 02-07-2021 06:40 AM

i have had a set for 40 yrs. for the last 39 i have only used the coarser sticks. my fine ones took forever to make the blade any sharper than the coarse ones.

C.C. 02-09-2021 01:46 AM

:
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobnoffs (Post 12204619)
i have had a set for 40 yrs. for the last 39 i have only used the coarser sticks. my fine ones took forever to make the blade any sharper than the coarse ones.

:t

Wagwan 02-09-2021 07:27 AM

One of the things I discovered in my research (and now experience) is that a super fine edge is not desirable for all cutting tasks. It works very well for kitchen prep of vegetables, fruit and similar items but not so well for meat and fish. I now use a medium grit for meat and fish knives and fine for prep knives.

lv2fish 03-25-2021 08:33 PM

76 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wagwan (Post 12207343)
One of the things I discovered in my research (and now experience) is that a super fine edge is not desirable for all cutting tasks. It works very well for kitchen prep of vegetables, fruit and similar items but not so well for meat and fish. I now use a medium grit for meat and fish knives and fine for prep knives.

I agree. A toothy edge makes for a better cut in meats from my experience.

gcrank1 03-25-2021 10:08 PM

Use the top 'rolled' edge of your lowered car window.

Al the Infidel 03-30-2021 08:46 PM

Edge lasts longer when it has a bit of tooth IME for eons while cleaning and preparing my own venison and fish for the freezer.

Phil in Alabama 05-04-2021 06:59 PM

Can you get diamond grit rods the same dimensions as the ceramic rods?