RimfireCentral.com Forums

RimfireCentral.com Forums (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Anschutz (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   New to Anschutz, looking for classic advice (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1174123)

Borr 10-13-2019 10:51 AM

New to Anschutz, looking for classic advice

First time poster, have enjoyed reading the board for about a year.

I picked up a 1980 MS-64. It came with a 3 - 9x Simons Presidential scope. These are pretty good, back in the days when Simons was trying to compete with high end scopes. I shot my fist bench match with it and did ok (won) for shooting off a sand bag and using CCI SV.

Now I have tested some ammo, Eley Club works quite well, that has tightened things up. Thinking that it is time to get a better scope.

I would really like to stay with the 1980 time frame and so the latest 45x scopes are not what I am looking for. I would be ok with a fixed power 24x to maybe 36x. The obvious choices are Weaver, Leupold. The current rings are for 1" tube.

Can someone suggest a few good scopes from the 80's era?

Wasn't sure if this should be in this board or the scope forum. I apologize if I got it wrong.
Thanks, -Brad

Camster 10-13-2019 11:04 AM

A small step up in power, but in that era, I was a fan of the Leupold M8 12x ao with fine duplex.(at the time, I jumped up from a Bushnell Scopechief 3-9, which was a good scope, but the 12x made a huge difference)
Typically, they sell in the 250-300 range.
I don't recall if it was also offered in 24x.

Gizmo60 10-13-2019 05:45 PM

:Welcome:

Original Japanese made Tasco Target Scopes. They are getting harder to find now especially the good ones.

Giz :)

PWNolan 10-13-2019 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camster (Post 11637281)
A small step up, but in that era, I was a fan of the Leupold M8 12x ao with fine duplex.
Typically, they sell in the 250-300 range.
I don't recall if it was also offered in 24x.

I still have a M8 12X FC on my .222. Quality scope!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gizmo60 (Post 11637673)
:Welcome:

Original Japanese made Tasco Target Scopes. They are getting harder to find now especially the good ones.

Giz :)

I have one of these too. 24X and it's what I use on my Rem 541 Voelker Match. Works great!

elh0102 10-14-2019 06:40 AM

The old Leupold BR 24X and 36X scopes were very popular in that era. I expect you can find used ones on some of the bench rest related forums. But, time hasn't stood still in scope design during the last 30 years, and there are better options.

Borr 10-14-2019 08:47 AM

thoughts

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am currently thinking about Weaver T 24x. Seems to be almost appropriate time frame and sounds link a quality scope. Thoughts?

elh0102 10-14-2019 09:30 AM

The Weaver is a decent scope, but if you can find one of the BR model Leupold scopes, it is better. I was active in BR in the 80's and 90's. Among serious competitors Leupold outnumbered everyone by a wide margin. And their service is great. I have a Leupold fixed power 16X that I used to use on a varmint rifle. In fact, I had forgotten I had it until I started this response. That scope hasn't been made in probably 30 years. Sent it back for a broken crosshair, and they completely rebuilt the scope, including updated turrets and parallax adjustment, no charge.